• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ashs six weakest pokemon?

Its hard for me to pick right now because due to plot (which can make those Pokemon stay in their lower evolution forms without evolving due to promotion or his more powerful Pokemon losing a fight just for the storyline, etc.), Ash's own incompetence and lack of useful/powerful moves in most cases its difficult to pick out 6.

For example, Totodile defeated a Kingdra. A fully evolved Water/Dragon type but using Bite to stop it from using Hydro Pump and then letting go once that water backed up defeating Kingdra we see that its unusual style of dancing during fights actually helps it win battles.

Donphan isn't a slouch either in my opinion it has some good wins under its trunk. Donphan kind of reminds me of Palpitoad in that it is strong but isn't used as often as it should be and in some of its appearances Ash let's it battle and lose to Pokemon he should know have a huge advantage over it. Battle Pike; after defeating Lucy's Serviper, he keeps Donphan in battle against her Milotic. And calls for a Take Down, a head on attack...so he sends in his Ground type Pokemon to use an attack where it has to get close in order to do damage on a Water type...only for it to get blasted with Hydro Pump and faint.

Its a real shame that after evolving Earthquake was forgotten because Phanpy used it in the Johto League against Macey's Slugma. But due to Japan well you know that move is all but banned completely from the show...

He REALLY should have used him against Brandon in the rematch if you want to call it that when he battles Registeel. The steel legend knew; Zap Cannon, Metal Claw, Sandstorm and Lock-On.

Sandstorm and Zap Cannon wouldn't effect Donphan, Lock-On would only be useful in targeting Donphan for a Metal Claw attack but with Donphan's rolling speed it could easily out manuver Registeel. Remember how slow it was running when it was going in for a Metal Claw on Torkoal?

Donphan knew if I remember; Take Down, Rollout, Defense Curl and Hyper Beam. None of those moves would be very effective on a Steel type but still...

Defense Curl could be used to blow Metal Claw and also power up Roll Out. But due to plot Torkoal was used and lost...

So, after thinking about it and looking at Ash's teams win/loss/tie history I'll come back with a FULL answer.

Alright, had time to go back and look through his Pokemon and honestly, I'm not trying to complain about BW AGAIN but I think a bulk of his "weakest" Pokemon are from that particular group. I'm not just saying that because they are his "new team" don't have as much experience as some of his other Pokemon, etc.

Its just that most of them don't have movesets that make them really powerhouses or for some of his still un-fully evolved Pokemon they don't make them threats to the opponent. For example, his Snivy is very sleek, clever, deceptive (with a move like Attract) and can hold her own against Pokemon who have the advantage (Bianca's Pignite used Flamethrower and she blocked it with her tail leaf) but aside from Attract she only knows Grass type moves, Oshawott only knows Water type moves except for Tackle (yeah let that sink in...).

We FINALLY see Pignite learn a fighting type move and that was Brick Break thankfully to replace it from knowing Tackle!

So now, for my list of his 6 WEAKEST in MY opinion;
Snivy
Oshawott
Boldore
Unfezant
Scraggy
Corhpish/Totodile/Gible (3 way tie)

I've already mentioned why I think Oshawott and Snivy are in this list but unlike Snivy, Oshawott doesn't have any impressive wins under its scalchop. Yeah it won recently against that Dewott but one could argue that it was for plot but it was an impressive battle and like Buizel's Aqua Jet/Water Pulse it used Aqua Jet/Razor Shell. But he was mostly used for comic relief and lost most of the battles it fought.

Poor Unfezant just didn't make the cut being that aside from Quick Attack all of its moves are Flying type.

Scraggy, no explanation needed besides I don't even think its mastered Focus Blast yet has it? I haven't been consistent in watching the show since the end of the Unova League. But still if Focus Blast isn't mastered yet then its a risky move and with Hi Jump Kick missing in nearly every fight its been in well the rest is pretty much already said.

Boldore is good but lately its track record of losing to Koffing and Hydreigon bring it down. I think it won against a trainer in the Jr. World Tournament and Clay's Excadrill but I don't recall any "memorable" wins after that.

The 3 way tie, Buizel isn't in it due to Counter Shield making it an effective member of Ash's team besides he is a badass in my opinion.

Totodile and Corphish are underrated in my book because their movesets could be better and still being unevolved doesn't help either.

Gible has mastered Draco Meteor but no gym battle experience; yeah it battled in the league against Conway and Tobias' Darkrai but I don't know gym battles kind of help hone Ash's Pokemon to their best potential, and Kingler is an exception since it evolved in its debut league battle but that's not the point.

Even if it just became a Gabite that would be a huge step-up. Dragon Pulse along with Draco Meteor provide long range attacks while Dig can be used for surprise attacks and Rock Smash, I would really hope that if it evolved be replaced with Brick Break.

So there is my pick for 6 weakest;

Movesets, not evolving and other factors are what make these 6 fall in the lower realm of power in Ash's teams. Not to mention plot purposes making them lose in not too appealing battles. I mean some of his older Pokemon got "rebooted" with impressive movesets like his Noctowl. So whose to say it won't happen to his other Pokemon from Unova if he leaves them at Oak's lab instead of Juniper's?

Last edited:
Donphan? is this a joke? Donphan is strong, yes it needs some ground type moves, but it is a very strong pokemon nonetheless.

Snivy, Unfezant, Boldore, Scraggy and possibly Muk.

1. Oshawott
2. Scraggy
3. Totodile
4. Unfezant
5. Torkoal
6. Snivy

1. Pikachu
It's a freakin amnesiac. If Ash trained any other pokemon as often as he did Pikachu, that pokemon would be a killing machine. But Pikachu, on the other hand, forgets everything he ever learned after traveling to a new region. -.-

Oshawott-His moveset is terrible and he loses a lot of battles.
Snivy-Her moveset is terrible.
Unfezant-Her moveset could be better and she's lost a lot of battles; including one to a Riolu.
Boldore-Loses often.
Scraggy-His only strong moves (Hi Jump Kick and Focus Blast) have fallbacks. One hurts him if he misses and the other isn't mastered, iirc.
Muk-Small moveset and struggled in battles where it couldn't just smother it's opponent.

Totodile, Oshawott, Corphish, Scraggy, Unfezant and Donphan. Lol, his Water-type Pokémon suck ._.

Totodile, Oshawott, Corphish, Scraggy, Unfezant and Donphan. Lol, his Water-type Pokémon suck ._.

I do not understand why people say Totodile is one of his weakest. Totodile is actually strong. Look what he did to that Sneasel.
Anyway I think:
Tauros: Seriously, Ash have almost never trained anyone of them.
Unfezant: Just gets destroyed in every battle since Skyla.
Boldore: It gets easily defeated in every battle.
Oshawott: It is just for comic and gets squashed in battles.
Scraggy: Same reasons that many people already said. And I agree.
Torkoal: Lost almost every battle(something Corphish did not).

I do not understand why people say Totodile is one of his weakest. Totodile is actually strong. Look what he did to that Sneasel.

Eh, since when a Pokémon is considered strong for defeating a Sneasel?

And I forgot about Tauros... Don't blame me, that thing is one of the dullest designed Pokémon ever :c

Eh, since when a Pokémon is considered strong for defeating a Sneasel?

And I forgot about Tauros... Don't blame me, that thing is one of the dullest designed Pokémon ever :c
Totodile knows how to dance in battle. Because of that he is the best.

In no particular order
- Oshawott
- Scraggy
- Torkoal
- Unfezant
- Boldore
- Totodile

Says a lot about his Unova team lol. Its a shame, these pokes could all be great if they were properly utilised. Especially since I really like Totodile and Scraggy. Those 2 are such great characters, and I hope they get some proper development and battle experience one day. The rest I just don't care about any more haha

Pikachu- yeah I don't care how strong the starters are, Pika should be able to beat down a fresh starter blindfolded with a ball and chain on its tail while wearing a lightning rod
Mijumaru- An utter waste of a pokemon. can't even beat a fire type
Unfezant-- Lost to riolu, TROLOLOLOL
Snivy- remove attract and what do you get? a fainted snivy.
Torkoal- Disgraced the good name of fire types everywhere. Thankfully Charizard, infernape, and pignite picked up the rather large slack he left behind.
Boldore- Well besides from exploiting the Excadrill species' fatal weakness to rock smash what else of note did it do?

Ugh, some of you people are calling some of Ash's good second-tier pokemon his worst? Seriously? Ash only used Tauros in 2 battles I believe. One was against Drake, the leader of the Orange League, and his Tauros beat Venusaur. The second was against Gary, and Ash used Tauros stupidly and just had him charge a Nidoqueen straight on. That's literally it. Only two battles and you call him the worst? I actually think if Ash would give Tauros some decent moves, it would do pretty well in League matches.

Corphish? While I hate his design and the writers desperately, DESPERATELY need to evolve him so in the anime it doesn't look like a joke when he dishes out the kind of damage and win ratio that he does, his Corphish won a ton in the Battle Frontier. Seriously, Corphish is no competition, Ash's weakest looking pokemon, yet it's one of his best water types. Evolve that thing into a Crawdaunt, and people will take him seriously.

Ash's worst pokemon are obviously:

Unfezant
Oshawott

Not familiar with the others that much but from movepool and from what I remember and lack of usage, I'd guess:
Boldore
Totodile
Noctowl
I hate to say it, but probably Gible, although if Ash would friggin use Gible for a full region, in Gym battles and such, his Gible/Giblite/Garchomp would be the new Snorlax/Sceptile/Infernape.

Man, the Isshu team had rougher than I thought >_<

In no particular order:

Oshawott-No Evolution, too many gags, low win percentage, needs more move types, predictable battle style
Muk-Too defensive, too many gags, low win percentage, needs more move types, can't dodge
Buizel-No Evolution, got rid of Water Pulse instead of Water Gun, predictable battle style, no personality after being traded for Aipom
Torterra-Poor Move Set, screwed by real-life so it can't use Earthquake, lost for the sake of Infernape, predictable battle style, can't dodge, low win percentage
Donphan:Screwed by real life so it can't use Earthquake, poor move set, too many gags, emotionally immature, unprotected sides during Rollout, predictable battle style
Unfezant:poor move set, low win percentage, not used enough, screwed over in favor of Leavanny and Charizard, predictable battle style, needs a real personality that compliments its battle style

Back
Top Bottom