• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Strongest Grass Type?

Ash's Strongest Grass Type?

• Total voters

Peachy

Disappointment
Reaction score
In a battle of Ash's Grass types who would win?

Easily Sceptle is the strongest Due to the amount/power levels of his wins, with Torterra coming in second due to its losses belittling its power, Bayleef in third due to it being the starter powerhouse during Johto, Swadloon in fourth for it being the only evolved Grass-type left, Snivy in fifth because of its high-power move ste, and in sixth place, Bulbasaur due to poor move choices and its refusal to evolve.

So, what I am saying is that Sceptile is the strongest for the reasons I mentioned, and I picked that item on the poll for that reason, and I ranked the others while showing my reasons for doing so in order to create a basic synopsis of my personal rankings for the other Grass types owned by Ash Ketchum.

Last edited:
For the time being, it has to be Sceptile, but I would expect no less from Clint Eastwood in Pokemon form. Seriously though, its speed, agility and power was of great help to Ash many times, and the only one of his Pokemon - aside from the overexposed Charizard and Pikachu - to have defeated a legendary.

But once Snivy has gained more experience, gets a better variety of attacks and perhaps evolves into Serperior, I reckon she'll be stronger. Even as a Snivy, she is resourceful and tough. Don't you dare let her down, Ash...

I'm probably going to eat my words for this, but strangely, even though Sceppy has the upper hand for beating a legend, I still cannot deny the feats of Bulba. Not to mention that among the pokes that have beaten a legend, Sceppy seems the most ordinary. He was never billed as being as super powerful as the other featured starters in his roster. To deny that Bulba might be capable of the same thing that Sceppy did would be an insult, so for now, I may find them equal.

If they all battled, Snivy would win cause she would use attract to send the boys after Bayleef, and then beat each other up :p

In terms of fighting prowess, Sceptile has to be given the upper hand. He just owned in a lot of Gym Battles and Frontier Facilities, put up an awesome fight against Regirock and defeated Darkrai (Though Gible had already done most of the work on that one) Fully evolved, killer moveset, can't really ask for more.

Right after that I would put Torterra, though mostly for its wins as a Turtwig and a Grotle where is really shone and showed a lot of strength. Lots of good battles against tough opponents. Still, a win after it has fully evolved stops him from joining the truly great.

After that, I would kinda say Bayleef. Some good wins as a Chikorita, evolved, got a gym win and defeated a fully evolved fire pokémon at the Silver Conference.

After that, I would put Snivy. Great moveset, killer personality, some good wins (Servine, Pawniard, most probably Palpitoad) and really puts up a great fights against a variety of opponents. Unique attacks

After that I would put Bulbasaur... honestly, for all the time it was on the show, it has a pedestrian battling record to show for it. A Scyther at the Indigo Plateau, an Eggecutor in the OI, Vincent's Meganium and Brandon's Solrock is all it has to show for it.

Last is Swadloon.

I haven't seen much of Sceptile enough to vote for him... but look at all those votes...

But anyway, I chose Bulbasaur, Torterra, and Snivy.

Bulbasaur because I can't forget how Ash had relied on him, and how Bulbasaur had proved to be useful in a lot of episodes.

Torterra was good - I liked the episode where it put up against Palmer

Snivy - I chose her because of her potential. By the time Ash reaches the Unova League, I'm sure this little girl is going to be a beast

Snivy-because all of the good contenders are male (Ok Torterra is unconfirmed but he has to be male) and Bayleef sucks

I choose Sceptile due to its moveset, its gym success rate, it's high profile Frontier matches as well as KOing Darkrai and putting up a decent fight against Regirock.

If it wasn't for Torterra's losses as a Torterra, I would have likely put it first. Vs Drapion was just a kick in the teeth by the writers to it.

Snivy-because all of the good contenders are male (Ok Torterra is unconfirmed but he has to be male) and Bayleef sucks

There are ways to beat attract even if it did work Septile has so much more raw power that snivy would be able to do that much. Bulbasaur is second due its strong record(Brandon anyone) and experience.

Easily Sceptile. Snivy is almost as badass, but she couldn't beat a Darkrai.

Sceptile, hands down. Not only is he fully evolved and has a better moveset than Ash's Torterra, he's also one of the best grass types out there in the series.

Aha the follow up from the fire and water topics.

Tough choice. Snify and swadloon are new pokes and haven't proven themselves in a league or against legends so I'll disqualify them for top spot for now.

So the real contest is between Bulbasaur, Sceptile and Torterra.

Bulbasaur went toe to toe against a legendary, but despite that it's still an un-evolved pokemon.

Sceptile has speed and strength and beat a Legendary.

Torterra has bulk and strength, almost beat a Rhyperior from Palmer as Grottle. Failed against Drapion though and against Hippowdon from Bertha. Rhyperior and Hippowdon were pokemon from Elite 4 level though so I'm not counting those as heavy losses. The loss against paul's Drapion was plot to have Ash his rival corner him.

Going by track record it'd be easy to give the trophy to Sceptile, but this is battle of grass types.
Torterra has the swallow energy ball boost trick and none of Sceptile's attacks are really effective.

It's a close call, but i think Torterra would come out on top.

Edit: Forgot Bayleaf. One of the most annoying and forgettable pokemon in battle. Lacking in the strength/speed/bulk that Torterra/Sceptile have so no top spot for Bayleaf.

The one that voted for Swadloon must have been trolling.

It's a close call between Sceptile and Torterra. I'm kinda pro-Torterra, but because of his bad results in its final evolution, I set Sceptile on top of the food chain. Because of Torterra's ground typing he would have some sort of disadvantage because Sceptile has that powerfull Leaf Blade of his, and that would do neutral damage, while Torterra's attacks would not be that effective. Torterra has the raw power, and Sceptile has the skills. This time, I go for skills.

Ash will always rely on Bulbasaur in though battles and he has proved to be his strongest and most consistent contender. Sceptile is great, but not the strongest. To those claiming his oh so great victory over Darkrai, the latter had taken a Megahorn from Herracross and a Rockpunch before being beaten. Thats not defeating a legendary like Pikachu vs Regice and Latios or Charizard vs Articuno. Given Bulbasaurs limited and considerably weak move set, it stand only to logic that he is the strongest. Charizard got beaten by Brandons Dusclops and Bulbasaur beat him and Solrock. He has had some awesome battles even with type disadvantages and bad moves.
I totally understand Sceptile's position here though, he is an amazing pokemon, but where the heck do people come off thinking TORTERRA is the second best? The only battle he has EVER one was when he fought team rocket after evolving - and that is no feat. Torterra had potential but never showed it - he got beat by PIN MISSILE for crying out loud! We might see him in the Unova league and he might show off something awesome like Quilava and Nocktowl, but he might remain sucky like Torkol - it could go both ways.

Sceptile, such a fantastic Pokemon. Very fast and VERY strong.

. Sceptile is great, but not the strongest. To those claiming his oh so great victory over Darkrai, the latter had taken a Megahorn from Herracross and a Rockpunch before being beaten. Thats not defeating a legendary like Pikachu vs Regice and Latios or Charizard vs Articuno. Given Bulbasaurs limited and considerably weak move set, it stand only to logic that he is the strongest. Charizard got beaten by Brandons Dusclops and Bulbasaur beat him and Solrock. He has had some awesome battles even with type disadvantages and bad moves..

Except Darkrai used dream eater twice, which would have recovered alot of the energy it lost in those 2 attacks. Sceptile then one hitted it with a normally effective move, as appose to Heracross and Gible with their super effective megahorn and rock smash. It also won after being hit by a super effective ice beam from a legendary and then by dream eater, yet it still wasnt put down. So i wouldnt downplay sceptiles victory over darkrai, it did really well.

To me the clear winner is Sceptile, he's just got that uber badass factor, i mean he has that stick in his mouth, how cool is that!! Its like he's saying "yea go on, try me, see what happens"

2nd is hard too say, i wanna say torterra, since he had a really good record as turtwig and grotle, and he did awesome against palmer, but he just didnt shine as Torterra. Though i would blame the writers for that. So much potential, and never realised. Energy ball swallowing anyone? how good was that tick!! wasted i tell ya. But if not Torterra then id say Bulbasaur. He's pretty awesome, and hes had some really good victories.

I dont really like bayleef, mainly cause i cant remember her too much, though it did beat houndoom so that was something. She was just too similar too Bulbasaur yet didnt have that awesome factor. She did do that call vinewhip jump thing though.

Cant really comment on the Unova grass types yet. Though i do expect great things from Snivy. Swadloon (leavanney) not so much

Sceptile is a beast and has given Ash some very key victories. But I won't count out bulbasaur because he and Ash have great chem. together and is very...VERY scrappy.

Back
Top Bottom