• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Strongest Team

What was Ash's Strongest Team?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Since Ash is no longer the protagonist of the show, what do you think is Ash's strongest team? I feel like it would have to be Alola with Kalos and journeys as a tie for second. Obviously, he won the Alola league. He came super close to winning the Kalos League. His journeys team allowed him to beat Leon. Imagine if he used his strongest Pokemon from his past teams.

I considered separating the Original Series into the three sagas that it contains (Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto), but since he uses his Kanto team during the Orange Island Saga as well as during Johto, at least until he "boxed" the Kanto Starters. He also used his Kanto Pokemon during the Johto League.

No offense, but this seems like kind of an unnecessary poll, as Journeys is objectively Ash's strongest team due to being the one that made him World Champion. I am aware that many people probably won't like that due to nostalgia, and one could certainly argue that some of the ace Pokemon of past teams are on par with the Journeys gang in terms of power (Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, and Greninja being perhaps the top contenders), but one powerful Pokemon alone isn't enough to elevate a whole team to the status of best.

No offense, but this seems like kind of an unnecessary poll, as Journeys is objectively Ash's strongest team due to being the one that made him World Champion. I am aware that many people probably won't like that due to nostalgia, and one could certainly argue that some of the ace Pokemon of past teams are on par with the Journeys gang in terms of power (Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, and Greninja being perhaps the top contenders), but one powerful Pokemon alone isn't enough to elevate a whole team to the status of best.
Yeah. The poll was probably not needed...
Not sure why I made it.

Taking into consideration what the narrative of the anime says, the strongest would be the journeys team. However, we didn’t get the chance to see much of his reserves battling in the present so we have no way of knowing if they are on par with journeys team. We did get see Corphish battle against Misty’s politoed and it lost… so idk what to make about that. Either Misty is on par with the masters 8, corphish is not on the journeys level or the writers just decided to ignore logic in favor of having Misty win the battle for the sake of getting back at Ash for defeating her in johto over the Totodile capture.

I honestly don't think every single member of Ash's JN team are among his absolute strongest when considering his other aces but the team overall is stronger than any team he ever trained in previous series' no matter how unrealistic it may seem.

JN
Pikachu
Lucario
Gengar
Dracovish
Sirfetch'd
Dragonite

SM
Pikachu
Incineroar
Lycanroc
Melmetal
Naganadel
Rowlet

XY
Greninja
Pikachu
Talonflame
Goodra
Hawlucha
Noivern

DP
Infernape
Pikachu
Gliscor
Torterra
Buizel
Staraptor

AG
Glalie
Swellow
Grovyle
Pikachu
Corphish
Torkoal

BW
Krookodile
Pikachu
Pignite
Unfezant
Snivy
Oshawott

OS (Orange Islands)
Charizard
Bulbasaur
Pikachu
Squirtle
Tauros
Lapras

OS (Kanto)
Charizard
Kingler
Bulbasaur
Squirtle
Pidgeotto
Pikachu

OS (Johto)
Heracross
Pikachu
Bayleef
Noctowl
Cyndaquil
Totodile

Last edited:
I honestly don't think every single member of Ash's JN team are among his absolute strongest when considering his other aces but the team overall is stronger than any team he ever trained in previous series' no matter how unrealistic it may seem.

JN
Pikachu
Lucario
Gengar
Dracovish
Sirfetch'd
Dragonite

SM
Pikachu
Incineroar
Lycanroc
Melmetal
Naganadel
Rowlet

XY
Greninja
Pikachu
Talonflame
Goodra
Hawlucha
Noivern

DP
Infernape
Pikachu
Gliscor
Torterra
Buizel
Staraptor

AG
Glalie
Swellow
Grovyle
Pikachu
Corphish
Torkoal

BW
Krookodile
Pikachu
Pignite
Unfezant
Snivy
Oshawott

OS (Orange Islands)
Charizard
Bulbasaur
Pikachu
Squirtle
Tauros
Lapras

OS (Kanto)
Charizard
Kingler
Bulbasaur
Squirtle
Pidgeotto
Pikachu

OS (Johto)
Heracross
Pikachu
Bayleef
Noctowl
Cyndaquil
Totodile

I love how you put the aces in the first spot on the regions, but here is the thing: Neither Lucario, Glalie or Greninja are the aces in their respective regions.
Lucario is weak compared to Sirfetch'd, Dragonite and Dracovish in base form and really needs its Mega to shine against stronger opponents (Unlike the three i mentioned, they don't need a power-up to defeat a Elite 4 mon/Mega or champion mon).
From a storytelling perspective, Greninja might seem to be the ace, but from an impact on the region battle wise, Greninja isn't the ace... impact wise, Talonflame is the ace... since it never lost a battle in the league without taking another mon with it, it fought in the most gym battles, only skipping one gym (Clemont) and not losing in any gym without taking another mon with it (Except against Grant).
Hoenn basically had 2 aces... the overall ace Grovyle and the league ace Glalie, but i still think Grovyle is supposed to be main ace.

Based on the Masters Eight and before
1. Sirfetch'd
2. Dragonite
3. Dracovish
4. Lucario (Without Mega)
5. Gengar.

I love how you put the aces in the first spot on the regions, but here is the thing: Neither Lucario, Glalie or Greninja are the aces in their respective regions.
Lucario is weak compared to Sirfetch'd, Dragonite and Dracovish in base form and really needs its Mega to shine against stronger opponents (Unlike the three i mentioned, they don't need a power-up to defeat a Elite 4 mon/Mega or champion mon).
From a storytelling perspective, Greninja might seem to be the ace, but from an impact on the region battle wise, Greninja isn't the ace... impact wise, Talonflame is the ace... since it never lost a battle in the league without taking another mon with it, it fought in the most gym battles, only skipping one gym (Clemont) and not losing in any gym without taking another mon with it (Except against Grant).
Hoenn basically had 2 aces... the overall ace Grovyle and the league ace Glalie, but i still think Grovyle is supposed to be main ace.

Based on the Masters Eight and before
1. Sirfetch'd
2. Dragonite
3. Dracovish
4. Lucario (Without Mega)
5. Gengar.
I only agree with the Hoenn Region not having an ace but overall Glalie had a very consistent showing at the Hoenn League and Swellow defeated 2 of Katie/Tyson pokemon before fainting. Grovyle couldn't take down Morrison's Gligar.

The rest of the stuff you said is crazy, everyone knows that Greninja at his best was Ash's strongest in XY not Pikachu or Talonflame, Talonflame isn't even in the same tier. Lucario with Mega Evolution clears every member of Ash's JN except Pikachu.

The way I see the word Ace is that it's the trainer's biggest powerhouse. Based on what you said with someone like Talonflame Paul's ace throughout most of DP was Elekid/Electabuzz even though it clearly wasn't his strongest. There's also the term signature pokemon that gets thrown out there as well.

In the Yugioh anime Yugi Muto's Dark Magician has always been synonymous for being his ace but he obviously had stronger monsters in his deck.

Last edited:
I only agree with the Hoenn Region not having an ace but overall Glalie had a very consistent showing at the Hoenn League and Swellow defeated 2 of Katie/Tyson pokemon before fainting. Grovyle couldn't take down Morrison's Gligar.

The rest of the stuff you said is crazy, everyone knows that Greninja at his best was Ash's strongest in XY not Pikachu or Talonflame, Talonflame isn't even in the same tier. Lucario with Mega Evolution clears every member of Ash's JN except Pikachu.

The way I see the word Ace is that it's the trainer's biggest powerhouse. Based on what you said with someone like Talonflame Paul's ace throughout most of DP was Elekid/Electabuzz even though it clearly wasn't his strongest. There's also the term signature pokemon that gets thrown out there as well.

In the Yugioh anime Yugi Muto's Dark Magician has always been synonymous for being his ace but he obviously had stronger monsters in his deck.

Thats my point about Lucario - With Mega Evolution.

Without Mega, it would get bodied by Sirfetch'd, Dragonite and Dracovish, since all three have shown they don't need a power-up to take out stronger opponents (As such, i cannot see Lucario as the ace, compared to the other 3).

Like, the way you see the ace is a trainers biggest powerhouse... you yourself just confirmed Talonflame is the ace of Kalos, since it is the biggest powerhouse of Kalos, since it doesn't need a power-up to defeat stronger opponents. Frogadier literally did nothing before it became Ash-Greninja, unlike Talonflame.

Signature Pokemon doesn't mean strongest either (Many people see Incineroar as Ash's signature in Alola, despite that, Lycanroc is clearly the ace).

Thats my point about Lucario - With Mega Evolution.

Without Mega, it would get bodied by Sirfetch'd, Dragonite and Dracovish, since all three have shown they don't need a power-up to take out stronger opponents (As such, i cannot see Lucario as the ace, compared to the other 3).

Like, the way you see the ace is a trainers biggest powerhouse... you yourself just confirmed Talonflame is the ace of Kalos, since it is the biggest powerhouse of Kalos, since it doesn't need a power-up to defeat stronger opponents. Frogadier literally did nothing before it became Ash-Greninja, unlike Talonflame.

Signature Pokemon doesn't mean strongest either (Many people see Incineroar as Ash's signature in Alola, despite that, Lycanroc is clearly the ace).
I always saw Greninja as a glass cannon. Speaking of powerups who do you have as Ash's ace in Sinnoh considering Infernape used Blaze.

Disregarding the results, and considering the Pokémon themselves, as well as their theoretical potential, I believe that, if Ash could only use one gimmick in battle, his most powerful team would be Alola's (Two badass legendary Pokémon plus two strong Pokémon), although there is the infamous Rowlet.

Now, if he can use all the battle Gimmicks, I believe that the Journey team is the only one (With, maybe, the exception of the Sinnoh team?) in which all of Ash's Pokémon are impressive.

Last edited:
Frogadier literally did nothing before it became Ash-Greninja, unlike Talonflame.
Nothing, huh? You forgetting the battle against Ramos, where it beat 2 out of Ramos's 3 Pokemon, including his strongest, Gogoat? Not to mention the fact they were both Grass types, which Frogadier is weak against!

Lucario oneshotted a Gigantamax Duralodon, defeated Paul's Gyarados, and tied with Volkner's Luxray (the very same one that gave Infernape so much trouble back in DP) after defeating his Rotom. And all of these he did while in base form. There's proof that Lucario isn't as reliant on his Mega form to win battles as you claim he is.

Back
Top Bottom