• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Worst Gym Battle

1. those where he gained gym badges without battling or rematch
2. those where 1vs1 or 2vs2 without the double battles
3. gen 7 not because they called them diffrently but the take, amount of pokemon and amount of battles...
4. orange league first two Orange gym head leaders where without proper battles... lame.

gen 1: Sabrina , Surge and Giovani was weak episoded

gen 2: Chuck fighting gym, Pryce,

gen 3: watson, to fast and too easy

gen 4: snowpoint bc of choice of pokemon, hoped for frosslass then for medicham

gen 5: 1 gym was weird and weak taking ash used pokemon

gen 6: Viola was weak, hoped Grant with Tyrantrum, Valerie could have used Mr Mime and Mawile too

gen 7: no gyms but the challenges could have been much better executed in anime with more battles

gen 8: is not yet out but fear Raihan is not dragon trainer enough, lack of Dragapult...
would want 10 gym leaders and Ash earning 10 badges , 2 more then he needs once for training and experience

A reminder that, per the rules of Bulbaforums, both English and Japanese text are allowed in Pokemon sections. I suggest that if a name is unfamiliar to you (be it English, Japanese, etc.), that you use an online search engine to provide clarity and, subsequently, knowledge.

I will do a mini review of Unova Gyms

1.Trio Battle

It was a unique battle since in reality it was three 1vs1 battles in a row. The strategy Panpour used with MudSport against Pikachu was goo,however this was during Pikachu loosing streak in the begining of the series. Oshawott had a nice style of battling that sadly was not used that much later in the series. However Oshawott being a clown and the Water Gun against the wall to recover the schalop were really random.

2.Lenora

The fun thing about this battle is that Aloe was the one with a strategy and Ash not. The Roar/ Mean Look combo was nice, however Ash won by two moves he learned in his training and no strategy just brute force. Makes sense he lost since in the Games Aloe is really hard.

3.Burgh

This was the first battle in Unova that used the Evolution in mid battle card. Tepig started to job in this episode when he lost really fast against Dwebble and Ash had the nice idea of using Sewaddle who evolved mid battle and beat two pokémon. This battle showed us how usefull is string shot in battle and how terrifyng can be an Iron Tail to the neck. This was also Electro Ball debut Inbattle.

4.Elesa

This was... unreal- First of all. Ash relying in just one Pokémon was really OOC, also the Atraction spam was getting anoying at this point, every Pokémon new attract in this series. What the hell was all that of not carrying all your Pokémon. And also a freaking Tynamo as a main threat.

Why using a Tynamo that did not even have and electric type attack ro begin with? Why not another Emolga or a Joltik that atleast can use some powerfull moves. Nope just a tynamo with tackle. One of the worst gym battles ever.

5.Clay

Another mid evolution battle this time with Roggenrolla. Also this battle was weird since Clay team were Pokemon used by the protagonists, It would have been much better if he had Krookodile and Semistoad instead. The battle was good but it rellied on brute force instead of strategy.

6. Skyla

This was Tranquill turn to evolve and shine. However in my opinion the battle she had with Cilan was much better. The Aqua ring strategy against Pikachu was really good but the Steel Wing at the floor that Pelliper used in Hoenn is still the best strategy against Electric types. Also Swellow vs Swellow was much better. It was not a bad battle.

By the way don't you think that the whole Air Battle shenanigans would have been better for a Psychic leader?

7.Brycen

A flying Beartic and Kunai Stone Edge, this was one of the best battles in Unova. It's sad that this is one of Scraggy last moments since after this he did nothing.

8. Roxie Monoxide

Oh this was terrible worse than EIessa wil give a list of what's wrong instead:

• 6 vs 3 ¿what? There is more ways to make someone look strong that give him advantage
  • Why not give Roxie a full Team with Toxicroak, Muk,Scolipede,Drapion Garbodor and Koffing.
  • Ash team was full of weak Pokemon why not use Krokorok instead of the jobbers?
  • Roxie healed Pignite.
  • Ash won because he had luck, no strategy... just luck.
  • This was the last gym battle, why make Ash look so weak.
  • The first Poison type battle we had in years and it was disapointing.
  • This was a two parter and season finale.
  • This was not the only time Ash lost a handicap match.
Conclussion

Best Wishes was a weird season, even though this was one of the seasons with more battles (Pokemon Leaguue, 3 whole tournaments, 3 rivals,8 gym battles) can any of you told me any memorable battle? No. Well this was cause it was not any interesting battle this season . XY corrected that and the Sun and Moon felt short in battles with the exception of the last two. It seems that the new seasons will rely in battles again let's see how it goes.

• This was not the only time Ash lost a handicap match.

Ash actually won that match, albeit with Pikachu left standing

Unova certainly featured some of the worst gym battles post Kanto, Ash was so dumb it wasn't even funny

Elesa was certainly the worst, only bringing Palpitoad to the gym, forgetting Emolga was part flying type when Iris has one herself, forgetting attract wouldn't work on female Pokemon

Ash actually won that match, albeit with Pikachu left standing

Unova certainly featured some of the worst gym battles post Kanto, Ash was so dumb it wasn't even funny

Elesa was certainly the worst, only bringing Palpitoad to the gym, forgetting Emolga was part flying type when Iris has one herself, forgetting attract wouldn't work on female Pokemon

This was not the only time Ash lost performed poorly in a handicap match this season.

Those two are tied for me for being the worst battles in BW and maybe of all the series since Kanto.

The Roxie one should have been a 6 vs 6 with her PWT team but Amongus beeing replaced by Koffing.

Poison type is a criminally underused types in anime battles, for me is one of the most interesting types in the Pokemon World. I hope that they use it more this season.

Elessa battle was when Black and White started to suck.

I forgot to mention Homika's battle on my previous post. For me it was the second to Kamitsure because I actually loved Hahakomori's battle against Dogas. Course the rest was mostly BS (guess Chaobu's winning against Pendra is the exception here), but those tiny details made it a lot better than the other one.

I also forgot to mention that, while not the worst, the gym battles in AG had a lot of BS going on. From the thunder armor to Satoshi's Pokemon withstanding a bunch of hits while knocking the opponent out with a single move (such as the Oosubame vs Oosubame match). They're not bad entirely, of course, but I thought I should point this out.

Once again, Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym. Like with most of Best Wishes, this feels like actual contempt towards the audience and actively trying to make something offputting vs other iffy decisions which are either a misfire or cutting corners.

Even if you could argue that Kanto Ash would make a similar blunder*, the referee comes off even worse for not ending the match and telling Ash to come back next time when he's willing to take the match seriously. Besides the undignified display of him running out of the Gym during the match, I'm pretty sure that not bring a full 3 team is a violation of the rules.

*The closest argument to be made I'd say is Round One: Begin! where he gets lucky with an untrained Krabby, but even then he still made sure to have two more Pokémon on hand for a 3 on 3 match.

Ash versus Elesa, Wattson and Erika. Damn I just noticed that 2 of his worst gym battles involved Electric gyms. :p

At least Ash recognised Pikachu was overpowered for Wattson and insisted on a rematch.

Ash was almost Cameron level idiot with Elesa, and deserved any shade Iris threw his way. Ash has for a long time used strategy over type advantage, although he’s not above using type advantage he’ll have a strategy in mind.

In terms of performance, his Kanto battles when they actually happened were more often than not underwhelming. He’d win either on a technicality (Brock deciding showing compassion was worthy of a badge, Haunter incapacitating Sabrina and Team Rocket’s trap backfiring on them) or because the gym leader was feeling charitable, and he probably only won two in fair battle.

I also forgot to mention that, while not the worst, the gym battles in AG had a lot of BS going on. From the thunder armor to Satoshi's Pokemon withstanding a bunch of hits while knocking the opponent out with a single move (such as the Oosubame vs Oosubame match). They're not bad entirely, of course, but I thought I should point this out.
Yeah, I found the AG gyms fun to watch but they had some issues, though I appreciated some of the crazy stuff like the planetarium exhibits being obstacles in Mossdeep and Pikachu throwing Milotic.
At the time I liked them a lot because they still compare pretty favorably to the Kanto gyms and I didn't remember the Johto ones as well.

Well, the Whitney episode was true to the games...
That was the main one I remembered, actually.
To this day I wonder if that was intentional. It came about forty episodes into Johto so there may just have been enough time for her reputation to spread. I think it was also his only official Gym match loss in Johto (though he lost a non-Gym match to Pryce and was doing poorly before Claire was interrupted).

I actually recall some people thought he'd lose to Liza and Tate for the same reason--they had a bit of a reputation for a while though never to Whitney levels I don't think.

I will do a mini review of Unova Gyms

Damn, what a write-up.

BTW, I love your profile pick. It made me spit out my water when I first saw it.

That was the main one I remembered, actually.
To this day I wonder if that was intentional. It came about forty episodes into Johto so there may just have been enough time for her reputation to spread.

Maybe. That episode came out about 9 months after Gold and Silver came out so it's definitely plausible.

Ash vs Wattson was trash since there should've been a do-over immediately after Wattson discovered how Pikachu sweep his team. Ash should've returned the Dynamo Badge with good grace.

Opinions of the battle aside, why should there have been a do-over? It was literally Wattson's own fault via his machinations that led to Pikachu inadvertently getting charged with extra electricity.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom