• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Worst Pokémon?

Who is Ash's worst Pokémon?

• Pikachu

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Butterfree

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulbasaur

• Charizard

• Squirtle

• Kingler

• Primeape

• Muk

• Tauros

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Lapras

• Snorlax

• Heracross

• Bayleef

• Quilava

• Totodile

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Noctowl

• Donphan

• Swellow

• Sceptile

• Corphish

• Torkoal

• Glalie

• Aipom

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Staraptor

• Torterra

• Infernape

• Buizel

• Gliscor

• Gible

• Unfezant

• Oshawott

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Pignite

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Snivy

• Scraggy

• Leavanny

• Palpitoad

• Boldore

• Krokorok

• Can't decide

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

Gengarzilla

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Just something that came out of the blue here, but anyway, who do you think is the lowest of the low out of every single one of Ash's Pokémon?

Feel free to discuss, but keep to the rules.

Primeape appeared in two episodes, the episode it was caught and the episode it was released. That IS PATHETIC!

I personally think Torterra's streak of losses after evolving was a real dissapointment. Losing to Volkner's Electivire really didn't look too good either, considering the supreme type advantage.

Okorizaru. There was absolutely NO point for Satoshi to catch it. Why catch it and release it a few episodes later with no development!?! :confused:

Of his older Pokemon, I'd say Totodile probably should have gone to Misty. Ash really didn't do anything with it and its probably his weakest Pokemon in his overall lineup. If Misty got it she would at least have a starter pokemon.

Of his Unova Pokemon, I'd say Leavanny. I don't get what the point of it is. Its first stage seemed like a throwback to Caterpie but it evolved too fast and its evo's don't fit Ash at all.

oshawott, i just don't liek him, plus he's a piplup 2.0 and piplup is amazing :D

Of his older Pokemon, I'd say Totodile probably should have gone to Misty. Ash really didn't do anything with it and its probably his weakest Pokemon in his overall lineup. If Misty got it she would at least have a starter pokemon.

Considering what Misty did during the course of Johto, I don't really see how Totodile would have gotten better treatment if Misty had it. It doesn't help that there weren't any other Water Pokemon in the second generation that could have fit with Ash. She wouldn't have used it more often than Ash did and I think that there's a good chance that it would have appeared even less if Misty had Totodile.

Gliscor'd said:
Of his Unova Pokemon, I'd say Leavanny. I don't get what the point of it is. Its first stage seemed like a throwback to Caterpie but it evolved too fast and its evo's don't fit Ash at all.

I agree. Out of his Unova Pokemon, Leavanny has impressed me the least and it doesn't really fit with Ash. Though, I kind of wonder what the point of a few other Unova Pokemon that he has.

Anyway, I actually chose Butterfree. While it did have a victory as a Caterpie and tied as a Metapod, it was pretty much useless as a Butterfree battle wise. The main reasons it stands out is because of Ash trading it on the St. Anne's and the episode it was released.

Oshawott for me. When Best Wishes start, Brock is gone from the show, I like almost all his personalities except he flirts with every girl.

And now we got a Pokemon with his negative personality but not any other good personalities.... Just no.

Besides all of the Pokemon that Ash had for one or two episodes, I'm a bit stuck.

In Kanto most of the Pokemon had a fair share of victories, even Pokemon like butterfree and Pidgeot had a few good battles.

In Johto the two that really show out are Totofile and Noctowl. Noctowl sort of redeemed itself ib the Sinnoh league battle with Conway, and Totodile did have the odd victory...

In hoenn Torkoal took the brunt of the losses, and was Oaked for Battle Frontier

Most of the generically bad Pokemon in Sinnoh were pretty decent, Staraptor had a good moveset and took out a decent number of opponents.

In Unova there are a lot of Pokemon that I was call bad, namely the three gymvolution Pokemon. They all got a lot of power from evolving and then took out an enemy, before being subbed off. For me the worprobably Boldore, by looking at the stats and also his battles. People don't like Oshawott that much, but I think that there is still some potential left.

I really wish this poll allowed for more than one choice, because this was genuinely hard.

Truly, I would be voting for nonsense like Primeape, but moreso I'd be putting in for Unfezant, Leavanny, and Boldore. Ultimately I picked Boldore.

Unfezant is by far the lamest regional bird Ash has ever caught, but it's sort of traditional for Ash to catch the generic regional bird, so this was to be expected. Leavanny is horrifically underutilized and is practically indistinct from Luke and Burgh's Leavanny, though as a Sewaddle it did have somewhat of a personality that went away the second it became Swadloon. And the episode in which it was captured at least focused on it, lame as it kinda was, so it felt almost natural for it to be coming along with Ash in the end. Boldore, on the other hand, debuted as one Roggenrola out of several that appeared in a generic filler episode of Team Rocket shenanigans, hardly stood out, and came off as one of the most random captures Ash ever had.

Besides that, I personally think the Roggenrola line is a horrible match for Ash because Ash is a guy who loves his speedy sweepers. The fact that Roggenrola literally stood there and did nothing until it evolved in a gym battle (where the writers decided to turn the Sturdy ability into a cheap plot device) didn't reflect well on it either, and it still lacks in personality (because it's far from the first Pokemon that's tackled Ash over for affection).

So... yeah. That's how I see it. But truly, if this were multiple choice, I'd be checking off Pignite, Leavanny, Boldore, Unfezant, Lapras, Primeape, and Bayleef (I just really hate that species and found her creepy) at least.

Even after 13 years out of regularly used pokemon Ash had, i still find Totopdile to be his worst pokemon. There was so much wasted potential about it, that its not even funny. Totodile barely got any development, all chances he had for evolution were overlooked and majority of battles he was in resulted in a loss(against Misty Poliwhirl, Dorian Lanturn, Macey Electabuzz, Harrison Hypno, Janina Onix list continues). He was only used in one gym battle(against Whitney)where he lost, scored only one significant win prior to league beating Kingdra in Whirl Cup with lot of luck being on his side. And in league his biggest achievement was win over newly caught Sneasel Harrison had.

Compared to his other pokemon Totodile got too little screen time and opportunities to be used to full potential, and while some may have gotten less focus at least there wasn't so much wasted potential about them. Even in Sinnoh league when Ash Johto pokemon were brought, unlike Cyndaquil and Phanphy Totodile never got any redemption being left to rot forgotten.

I still think it was mistake to give Ash all three starters in Johto competing with his Kanto trio, which resulted in underdeveloped and poorly handled Johto team.

Considering what Misty did during the course of Johto, I don't really see how Totodile would have gotten better treatment if Misty had it. It doesn't help that there weren't any other Water Pokemon in the second generation that could have fit with Ash. She wouldn't have used it more often than Ash did and I think that there's a good chance that it would have appeared even less if Misty had Totodile.

Misty had more screen time and development in Johto, than she had in Kanto with her pokemon battling more so that isn't really minus if Totodile went to her.

At least with Misty Totodile would have get better training since she is water trainer with water types being her specialty(Poliwhirl had bigger win record than Ash Totodile in Johto), and actually have chance to evolve considering how it would likely be used in gym battles gaining experience. As opposite to rotting at Oaks lab.

Last edited:
Misty had more screen time and development in Johto, than she had in Kanto with her pokemon battling more so that isn't really minus if Totodile went to her.

I agree that she had more screen time in Johto than she did in Kanto, but I also don't think that says much. Even with that increase in screentime, most of Misty's team felt pretty forgettable and only couple of them were used frequently enough as it was.

pokemon fan 132 said:
At least with Misty Totodile would have get better training since she is water trainer with water types being her specialty(Poliwhirl had bigger win record than Ash Totodile in Johto), and actually have chance to evolve considering how it would likely be used in gym battles gaining experience. As opposite to rotting at Oaks lab.

I don't know if being a Water Pokemon trainer would mean that Totodile would necessarily get better training, especially when Misty didn't train her Water Pokemon that much, if at all, and she never impressed me with her battling skills. I really don't think that Totodile would have evolved either way since the writers probably wanted to keep it cute and marketable, even after Misty left and became a Gym Leader. Totodile's evolved forms don't really work with Misty design-wise anyway. Plus, even if the writers did have it evolve, an off-screen evolution would be pretty unsatisfying. I still don't see much of a benefit for Totodile in this situation and aside from giving her a starter Pokemon, I don't really see why people would want Misty to have it. Ash definitely could have, and honestly should have, used Totodile more often in Johto, but I still don't see how Misty getting it would have so much better for Totodile or even for Misty for that matter. She already had too many Pokemon for her role in the show and adding another one, or replacing I guess one of them with Totodile, wouldn't have solved that problem.

I agree that she had more screen time in Johto than she did in Kanto, but I also don't think that says much. Even with that increase in screentime, most of Misty's team felt pretty forgettable and only couple of them were used frequently enough as it was.

It says quite a lot from what i recall seeing how she actually grew more as trainer, became more confident and mature with Whirl Cup and several other episodes doing something with her story. Out of pokemon Poliwhirl, Corsola and to lesser extent Staryu and Psyduck(which was played for comedy)were quite memorable there.

pokemon fan 132 said:
I don't know if being a Water Pokemon trainer would mean that Totodile would necessarily get better training, especially when Misty didn't train her Water Pokemon that much, if at all, and she never impressed me with her battling skills. I really don't think that Totodile would have evolved either way since the writers probably wanted to keep it cute and marketable, even after Misty left and became a Gym Leader. Totodile's evolved forms don't really work with Misty design-wise anyway. Plus, even if the writers did have it evolve, an off-screen evolution would be pretty unsatisfying. I still don't see much of a benefit for Totodile in this situation and aside from giving her a starter Pokemon, I don't really see why people would want Misty to have it. Ash definitely could have, and honestly should have, used Totodile more often in Johto, but I still don't see how Misty getting it would have so much better for Totodile or even for Misty for that matter. She already had too many Pokemon for her role in the show and adding another one, or replacing I guess one of them with Totodile, wouldn't have solved that problem.

I dunno she was always portrayed as more knowledgeable about water types than Ash was being used to underwater matches and similar battlefields scoring better results there with which Ash was fairly unfamiliar and Misty did trained pokemon considering how there were made references about it quite a few times. Her water types always seemed to be in good shape being well taken care of, so im sure Totodile wouldn't fare any worse either.
I believe that can be justified by fact that her Corsola had better win-lose ration and Poliwag evolved to final form , as opposite to Totodile which under Ash care barely did anything, lost more battles than he won and almost was never trained ending abandoned and unused ever again.

If anything, if Goldeen was replaced by Totodile it would help Misty more in Johto because she would had another amphibious pokemon making her more battle active and it would fit nicely with personality too judging by how much she wanted it falling over cute pokemon.

Also i believe fact that she received Gyarados and judging by her team in games shows how big ferocious pokemon fit well her battling style, which is rather offensive(barring few exceptions). So im quite sure after all this time if Totodile went of with Misty he would receive much more training and battling experience at gym than he would by wandering around at Oaks lab. Perhaps in that case we might have seen his evolution in hosos or when Misty made cameo, with marketing not standing in way anymore since Johto era would end by than.

It says quite a lot from what i recall seeing how she actually grew more as trainer, became more confident and mature with Whirl Cup and several other episodes doing something with her story. Out of pokemon Poliwhirl, Corsola and to lesser extent Staryu and Psyduck(which was played for comedy)were quite memorable there.

I still don't really it is says a lot when there wasn't that much more focus on her or her goal until the last season. Plus, I didn't think that she grew that much as a trainer, became more confident or mature. In my opinion, only Politoad and Psyduck were memorable. I don't think Corsola really stood out beyond her obsession with catching one and while Staryu was used often, it was pretty forgettable.

pokemon fan 132 said:
I dunno she was always portrayed as more knowledgeable about water types than Ash was being used to underwater matches and similar battlefields scoring better results there with which Ash was fairly unfamiliar and Misty did trained pokemon considering how there were made references about it quite a few times. Her water types always seemed to be in good shape being well taken care of, so im sure Totodile wouldn't fare any worse either.
I believe that can be justified by fact that her Corsola had better win-lose ration and Poliwag evolved to final form , as opposite to Totodile which under Ash care barely did anything, lost more battles than he won and almost was never trained ending abandoned and unused ever again.

Misty had knowledge about Water Pokemon, but none of her Water Pokemon, except for maybe Politoad, didn't really seem that strong in battle and her skills were never something to write home about. The only mention of training that Misty did that I remember was trying to teach Togepi Headbutt. I don't remember a lot of references to training her Water Pokemon. Poliwag evolving had more to do with promoting a Johto Pokemon than showing how good of a trainer Misty was, but it was still pretty believable all things considered. I still don't think that how two of her Water Pokemon turned out really makes me think that Totodile would be used more or have a better win-loss ratio considering that the bulk of her Pokemon were forgettable and she didn't battle that much more often until near the end of Johto.

pokemon fan 132 said:
If anything, if Goldeen was replaced by Totodile it would help Misty more in Johto because she would had another amphibious pokemon making her more battle active and it would fit nicely with personality too judging by how much she wanted it falling over cute pokemon.

Like I said before, replacing one of Misty's Pokemon with Totodile when she had too many for her role wouldn't have been a solution for her forgettable team. I also don't think that having another amphibious Pokemon would necessarily make her more battle active when she already had two for the majority of Johto and then a third one with Corsola. Plus, with that argument in mind, they could have just given her a Wooper instead as it would be amphibious and be cute enough for her to gush over it. I don't know if getting excited over a cute Pokemon means that Totodile would fit with Misty's personality, especially when I think it worked better on Ash's team in that department.

pokemon fan 132 said:
Also i believe fact that she received Gyarados and judging by her team in games shows how big ferocious pokemon fit well her battling style, which is rather offensive(barring few exceptions). So im quite sure after all this time if Totodile went of with Misty he would receive much more training and battling experience at gym than he would by wandering around at Oaks lab. Perhaps in that case we might have seen his evolution in hosos or when Misty made cameo, with marketing not standing in way anymore since Johto era would end by than.

I don't really see the point in bringing in Misty's team in the games when we're talking about Misty in the anime and the two version are treated fairly differently, especially regarding their teams. She did receive a Gyarados, but considering the the only other new Pokemon she's been shown to have was Azurill, I think that they gave her Gyarados to make her look like a stronger trainer and give her team more meat. Even without the need to market Johto Pokemon, I'm not sure if Totodile would have much more of a chance to evolve when most of Misty's Pokemon are cute/girly, with Gyarados being the only exception in that case. I think that we're going off topic and I personally don't want to go around in circles with another discussions, so let's just end the discussion here.

I still don't really it is says a lot when there wasn't that much more focus on her or her goal until the last season. Plus, I didn't think that she grew that much as a trainer, became more confident or mature. In my opinion, only Politoad and Psyduck were memorable. I don't think Corsola really stood out beyond her obsession with catching one and while Staryu was used often, it was pretty forgettable.

Compared to Kanto days her battling skills vastly improved which can be noticed in coming top 8 in Whirl Cup, winning Seaking contest, her skills being recognized by several trainers etc. She definitely became more confident and mature too getting over complex of feeling less worthy compared to sisters which can be noticed when helping Sakura to cope with same problem and becoming less aggressive with other traits being showed more like sarcastic and girly side.

As for Corsola it was along with Poliwhirl her most used pokemon from moment she captured it being involved in several matches and winning some important battles for her, so i respectively disagree about this too.

Majority of Misty water types were far more memorable than Totodile which never really had chance to properly shine ending as worst Ash Johto starter.

Misty had knowledge about Water Pokemon, but none of her Water Pokemon, except for maybe Politoad, didn't really seem that strong in battle and her skills were never something to write home about. The only mention of training that Misty did that I remember was trying to teach Togepi Headbutt. I don't remember a lot of references to training her Water Pokemon. Poliwag evolving had more to do with promoting a Johto Pokemon than showing how good of a trainer Misty was, but it was still pretty believable all things considered. I still don't think that how two of her Water Pokemon turned out really makes me think that Totodile would be used more or have a better win-loss ratio considering that the bulk of her Pokemon were forgettable and she didn't battle that much more often until near the end of Johto.

Staryu and Corsola were very strong too, and when getting headache Psyduck never lost. There were quite a few references about training like when Marina commented how she trained Staryu well after defeating Tentacruel, when Misty mentioned how she managed to come far in Whirl Cup thanks to intense training Corsola received in one of Whirl Islands episodes etc. I also believe given how often he was used in battles with Misty using it effectively was more of reason behind its evolution than simple marketing, being writers way to show her improvement as trainer.

About battling score, it wasn't only end but early and mid Johto where she still battled more than she did in Kanto.

Like I said before, replacing one of Misty's Pokemon with Totodile when she had too many for her role wouldn't have been a solution for her forgettable team. I also don't think that having another amphibious Pokemon would necessarily make her more battle active when she already had two for the majority of Johto and then a third one with Corsola. Plus, with that argument in mind, they could have just given her a Wooper instead as it would be amphibious and be cute enough for her to gush over it. I don't know if getting excited over a cute Pokemon means that Totodile would fit with Misty's personality, especially when I think it worked better on Ash's team in that department.

I don't think problem was in number of pokemon, but more in lack of focus not being given chance to utilize everyone properly. There is a reason why Horsea was dumped to gym to make room for pokemon which isn't only dependent on water, so addition of Totodile would certainly more help than hurt her situation and since it is starter its basically guaranteed he would be one of most used pokemon under Misty care in Johto. Fact that her Corsola , Poliwhirl and Staryu in general received better treatment and had more significant achievements over Totodile are pretty good indication how Totodile faith would in that case be much more bright than reality provided.

Also given passionate love for water and fondness for small cute pokemon, i believe Misty persona would mesh with Totodile energetic attitude quite well. Better than it did with Ash not having many memorable moments so to speak with too much pokemon Ash had to deal with in Johto leaving out Totodile as odd child which receives least love usually taking backseat to make room for others.

With her at least he wouldn't have to compete with so many pokemon, having bigger chance to shine since she had less pokemon than Ash did.

I don't really see the point in bringing in Misty's team in the games when we're talking about Misty in the anime and the two version are treated fairly differently, especially regarding their teams. She did receive a Gyarados, but considering the the only other new Pokemon she's been shown to have was Azurill, I think that they gave her Gyarados to make her look like a stronger trainer and give her team more meat. Even without the need to market Johto Pokemon, I'm not sure if Totodile would have much more of a chance to evolve when most of Misty's Pokemon are cute/girly, with Gyarados being the only exception in that case. I think that we're going off topic and I personally don't want to go around in circles with another discussions, so let's just end the discussion here.

She received Luvdisc too, but your right in sense of purpose behind Gyarados capture being to show Misty growth as trainer in managing to get over long time fear and create bond with pokemon which she panicky feared for years. However that doesn't change fact that writers didn't had hesitation in giving Misty big, fully evolved pokemon(third in collection). As for rest of team i have hard time viewing Staryu, Starmie or Politoad as "cute and girly" being more of battlers than someone which could enter beauty contest. That can be applied more to Dawn team.

Logically, if pokemon is used in gym battles being constantly trained, chances for his evolution are a lot higher than it would be by doing nothing(like its case now at Oaks lab). Also most May pokemon were un evolved too, but that drastically changed when she appeared in Sinnoh, so there is no reason to believe how Totodile couldn't evolve under Misty at gym either with argument of being unfitting falling in water when looking at Gyarados or Starmie. Especially when her battling style is offensive being portrayed as tough battler which shoots for big aims, always trying hard which is something she and game counterpart share.

p.s. Your right we are starting to wear of topic and this discussion should stop. I only decided to comment and express my disagreement over Totodile being better of with Ash, when in long run he only suffered from it ending un evolved, forgotten and weak being treated worse than it would be with water trainer and gym leader like Misty for all above reasons.

But whatever, im done from my part.

Last edited:
To me it was Butterfree.

I'm going to laugh when someone votes Charizard or Pikachu.

Lampras...just too short of a time for me to judge, he was only good as a substitute boat...

I'm going with Butterfree on this one. It just doesn't have any potential, which is probably why the writers decided to remove it, anyway. I'd go with Torterra, but really, I think Torterra sucks because the writers don't know how to treat the cast equally, but it's got potential to be better.

DarkTitan837: And I'm going to laugh so hard if anyone votes Infernape. That monkey's just too badass.

Back
Top Bottom