• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ask me any applied science question.

Reaction score
I graduated college with a b.s. in chemistry, minor in computer science.

I'm looking for some good questions that I might be interested in researching on.

So I'll supply you a list to help you guys brainstorm.

When I took my 1st year chemistry course, I asked my professor all sorts of things.

Chemistry questions I asked.

-Is there any chemical or drugs I can take, that will increase my I.Q.?
-Is there any chemical I can eat or drink that won't make my urine smell bad?
-Can there be any strong acids or base that can dissolve metal? [Like for prison].
-What's a chemical I can use to remove the oil off of keyboards.
-Why do potholes form in the winter? (The answer is the freeze-thaw cycle of water, which explains why pipes crack in the winter.).
-If bombs are exothermic reactions, then what's the most dangerous endothermic reaction?
-Strongest known metal bond?
-Acid-cleaners or base-cleaners better?
-Oily parking lots and garages, how to remove oil from concrete?
-The platinum in the catalytic converter of a car, is there any other metal that can do the same?

-Adding salt to water decreases the freezing point, and increases the boiling point. Is there something that I can add that will increase the freezing point, and decrease the boiling point?
-Adding alcohol to water decreases both the freezing point and boiling point. Is there something I can add that will increase both the freezing point and boiling point?
-How about increase/decrease the freezing point while boiling point the same, or increase/decrease the boiling point while freezing point the same?
(These are the basis by how roadsalt and deicers work.).

Questions I asked biology professors.

-Who kills bacteria and viruses better, acids or bases?
-Are there any acids/bases that kills bacteria and not viruses, or kills viruses and not bacteria?
-Oxiding and reducing agents, are there any reducing agents that kill bacteria/viruses.
-Questions I asked on allergies and our immune system.
-What's the fate of dead bacteria, and is it safe to eat/drink dead bacteria?
-If all the viruses in the world died...if all the bacteria in the world died...

Questions I asked psychology professors.

-If I practice using my non-dominant hand, is there any benefit to it?
-Are cats and dogs also right-pawed and left-pawed, and the % distribution the same?
-How is it that our brains can learn something, but we can't delete something?
-What would happen if the electricity in our nerves went the opposite direction?

Questions I asked physics professors.

-Can you increase/decrease the voltage on a battery.
-What's more dangerous, high amp low voltage, or low voltage high amp? (Watts are amps times voltage.).
-If you can make motion sensors with IR detectors, what about with UV?
-Electricity are with electrons, so can you make "proton electricity?"
-If there are anti-particles, can there be anti-light? (Anti-photons.).

-

So what else can I ask? What are some of your questions?

Couple others.

Biology:

-There are bacteria that kill other bacteria, viruses that kill other viruses, and viruses that kill bacteria, but are there any bacteria that kill viruses? According to 2 bio professors, no.
-If I eat less oily food, will my body produce less oil?

Psychology:

-If there is such a thing as an ambidextrous person (both-handed) can there be someone who is no-handed?
-Some people only need 8 hours of sleep, others 6, others 4. What’s the benefit/disadvantage, and is there a lifespan correlation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some for astronomy:

- Why does Triton move in the opposite direction that Neptune rotates?
- Why does Titan have an atmosphere when Ganymede doesn't? (After all, Ganymede is bigger.)
- Since their are exoplanets larger than Jupiter, could some of them have moons larger than Earth?

What decides the rules of physics, etc? We know that they are there, but why?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom