• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Assassin AK: The Ultimate Betrayal

Reaction score
The hawks of justice, an organization that rids society of scum that others will not. Among them is a man known as the legendary assassin, a man who had innumerable individuals turn on him. When an up-and-coming assassin is given an opportunity to eliminate a kingpin of Kanto's underworld who eluded hawk and police alike for decades, he insists on joining her. To take revenge!

This was spawned from @kintsugi shitposting on the Discord and suggesting a contest where we write Ash Betrayal fics for April Fools. I wrote a paragraph and actually went through with it, despite the contest of course not actually happening. Went for a different spin on things for this one shot, trying to make a cohesive yet crazy parodist story.

Beware mentions of death, minor blood, mild language, adult themes and references, over-the-top dialogue, your favorite characters acting way out of character before they die, quoting the Bible, and Canadian/British spellings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A cloaked woman with platinum blonde hair skulked through the sub-basement, the sound of her heels quietly clapping on the floor. The building she was in used to be a school, renovated to be a centre for many businesses. Yet beneath it, a different and darker kind of business went on.

It was rare to be personally summoned. It was not only proof her talents were recognized, but that it was a critical task. She soon stepped into a room divided into halves. On one side there was nothing but the floor, which was one giant trap door. Normally, but today there was also a box. Behind a protective transparent wall made of the toughest materials was an office. A man sat at his mahogany desk on the other side. There was his computer. Piles of filing cabinets. A lamp. It was not her place to question how to enter or leave the room from that end. She knelt down.

“Lady,” said her boss. He kept all of his features hidden. He wore a full body-suit that was the darkest black, and concealed his face behind a nondescript bird mask that obfuscated his voice. They were the hawks of justice. Those who dealt with the scorn of society the law could not – or would not.

“My mission?” the lady whispered, her voice monotonous and quiet.

“There.” He gestured toward the box. The lady walked over and retrieved the dossier from it. The name on the paper jumped out at her.

“B-Slapp. Kanto's biggest pimp,” she mused. Her fists lightly clenched. He had been untraceable by them and the authorities alike for two decades. Yet they had a lead. Even if they were to tip off the latter, there was no guarantee they had anything on him or that they would actually take action.

“Aye,” the boss said, with bombast. “We have one shot to rid the world of him. I handpicked you as our best chance.”

The lady nodded. “I will succeed.”

“Though I should say, you shall be working with another on this mission.”

“This is unusual.” She was handpicked, and yet, there would be another?

“It is, but he insisted upon this one.”

She nodded. Strange as it was, there would be little difference. “May ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgement,” she recited. The quote fit. For whomever it may be, they had the same goal. Justice.

#####

Pewter City. The lady had only visited once in the past, on another mission. A corrupt Jenny. Kanto was never her favourite place. The cities had little to see.

She wore a modest dress – a dark blue, much like the night sky – alongside a habit. A nostalgic, yet practical choice for this mission. She was to meet her contact and partner on this mission in the Pokemon Centre. Whoever it was would be wearing a bird accessory, much like her beak-shaped pendant. It was one of the ways the hawks identified one another.

The lady scanned the lobby upon entering. Her eyes fell upon a man in his 50s. Greying hair, blue jeans, a tattered and grimy vest, and an old official League cap – one of the original designs. Even without the lapel made from the plumage of countless birds, she recognized him at once.

The legendary assassin. Said to have been a former champion from decades past. The best the hawks had, yet also very particular about the jobs he took.

She approached him and bowed. “Hello.”

The man looked up, his unkempt moustache twitching. “Oh, a nun? Who might you be?”

“Before I say, I would have your name.”

He smirked. “Ames Plover.”

“Erma.” Both false names. The elderly man frowned for a moment, until she asked, “Do you know of a place that serves wings at this hour?”

He snickered at her question. “Our fair city has one, but it may be seedy,” he returned the verbal handshake with a clever bit of avian-related wordplay.

“Demons lurk everywhere. It doesn't matter.” There was far more evil in the world than most knew. “Can you point out the way? I'm new in town.”

Her contact stood, silently motioning to follow.

#####

The two assassins stalked through the night. To the unknowing eye, which was all of them, they might look nothing more than a father and daughter on a late night stroll. The way they wanted it to be.

“So you are the one they call the Lady Killer…” the man mused, in their cant. To the undiscerning ear, they were speaking a foreign language. “You may simply refer to me as AK.”

“AK?” She had not heard his codename before, repeating it aloud with a measure of surprise. She shook off her initial thought and asked, “After the gun?”

He snorted, and for a moment, it seemed he was laughing. If so, it was mirthless. He reached for his belt and unsheathed a curved dagger, nearly twenty centimetres long. “Take it from me. There's nothing like a good knife. Even a gun can betray you, but a knife? You take care of it, and it'll never let you down when you need it.”

“Your weapon of choice.” She could not say she fully agreed. Fearing a gun's betrayal bordered on paranoia. She placed a hand on her concealed pistol. One of her many weapons. Silenced. She maintained it well. It had never misfired as a result.

“But I suppose any tool is far better than anything living.” He chuckled, more filled with sorrow than anything.

“To business,” she said. “He will be meeting his client at that restaurant.”

“And he'll be heading to the museum to complete the transaction,” AK answered, without a beat.

The lady paused. “How do you know that?”

“I just do.”

They walked another block. She had been formulating a plan to deal with B-Slapp. “We'll check in,” she started to say.

“And seduce him?” AK cut in. He shook his head with derision. “He knows women, perhaps better than anyone. He'll see right through an attempt at deception, no matter how great you think your talents are.”

“What would you suggest?” She would defer to the legendary assassin, particularly if he knew the target.

“We do things my way. We ambush him at the museum.”

The lady nodded. “I trust your judgement, then.”

A scoff. “Trust?” he asked. “What a quaint word. A word that may have had meaning to me at some point, but those days are long gone. You, too, would do well to cast the notion of it aside. You will live a far longer life, a more stress-free life.”

“You diminish trust.”

“Diminish?!” AK repeated as he broke out into mad cackling, uncaring of whom he might disturb or alert. “I have a little something for you. A little hypothetical based on a fun little fact, as it were. Though there are two of us, there is but one fee to be split between us. Did you know that?”

She stared blankly at him, expression neutral as always. She shook her head, no. It was news to her. But it was never about payment for her.

“Tell me,” asked AK. He was calmer, yet no more composed. He placed a hand on his blade's hilt. “Do you trust me not to quite literally stab you in the back? I could kill you and that treacherous bastard and take all the money for myself, leaving the hawks none the wiser. What do you have to say to that, Lady Killer? Do you still trust me?”

“I do,” she replied simply, unwavering in the face of his threat. “For the hawks kill for justice. If money was your motivation, you would not be with us, nor would you be so selective in your targets.”

He chuckled, satisfied by her answer. “One more.”

“Excuse me?”

The man rolled up his sleeves. He bent his elbows and twisted his wrists. The lady took pause. There was intricate scarring across each forearm. It could not have been caused in any sort of fight. No, this appeared ritualistic.

AK traced a finger across his arm's length. “These marks you see here represent each of my targets. Those who betrayed me. The ones I have longed to see dead. And these marks,” he said, motioning to those which made all but a single one in the shape of a cross. “These represent those who have died by my hand. There is but one more.”

“Your chosen targets…those you have past connection with.” Curious that one man could be subject to so many who turned on him. It was not the lady's place to question their motives in doing so or AK's history. But his motives had been laid bare. Many had fallen away and betrayed him. It felt almost unnatural. But she would not judge, either. At the moment they had a mutual goal, that was all that mattered.

AK once more drew his weapon, lightly pressing his finger to the tip. “This blade has tasted the blood of all who have ever betrayed me. A tool that has served faithful at my side for decades. And tonight, it will take one last draught.”

“Will you retire after?”

His head jerked toward her. “Tell me, Lady. Why is it that you have chosen to take the lives of others for a living? You, whose scripture speaks to not kill?”

“It is God's will.” She paused, preferring not to get into specifics, even with the legendary assassin who had laid his soul bare to her. If her sins could make the world a better place, she was willing to bear them.

For a moment, the elderly assassin's expression changed. The lady was uncertain of what it could mean. “It is uncommon to see one who calls Him by that name, and not Arceus,” came his intrigued response. Not what she was expecting.

It wasn't rare, either. She replied simply. “God has many names. Arceus is but one.”

They went quiet. They walked for another two blocks before AK spoke again.

“One more thing.” They were approaching the museum. “He's mine. This is personal. You have no stake in this, so back off.”

Her lip curled. “You assume it's impersonal to me.”

The elderly assassin glared. “And what did he do to you?”

“People in his profession disgust me. Let's leave it there.”

AK stared her down, meeting her empty gaze with hostility. Soon, he shook his head. “He's mine…” he repeated.

The lady gave a conceding nod. “So long as it does not compromise the mission.”

#####

The lady pondered why the target would be heading here of all places or how AK came to know this information, but it was not her place to ask questions. It was all too simple to disable the security of the building remotely. AK picked open the emergency exit on the second floor – or rather, their entrance.

She had been to museums before. But not this one. It was dedicated to archaeology. They entered into a wide-open room with many fossils. Eight of them lined up across the sides of the room, with a ninth in the centre. Two doors, not including where they entered. The room was illuminated only by dim auxiliary lighting.

“Any guards?” she whispered.

“Not today.”

She nodded. “Let's find positions.”

“The museum is closed, you know,” came a haughty voice.

Detection. The worst thing for an assassin. The lady's eyes went to the doors as she took out a stun bomb. No guards at either of them. Whoever had addressed them was already in the room when they entered, or had entered through some other means.

“Brock,” AK growled, none too concerned about it.

At once, it all made sense to the lady. How did B-Slapp elude detection for so long? How did the police not find him? He was not underground. He was a devil in plain sight. A retired Gym Leader and doctor.

The pimp burst into laughter. “It's been a while since I've heard someone so intimately familiar with me call me by that name. And…” He paused, and though still not visible, the lady felt his gaze cast over her. “I recognize you as well.”

“You knew we were coming,” she mused.

“I have my eye in the night sky to thank for that.” An owl. Or possibly a bat.

“You're dead all the same…” AK said. “You will pay for your betrayal.”

“Oh, you haven't changed a bit. You're the same immature hothead as always. But me?” B-Slapp laughed once more. It was difficult to tell where he was from the sound of his voice, and he was evidently taking cover in or behind a fossil. “Remember when I used to hit on any woman I met? Just for the slightest chance of love? Might've even worked, if not for those cockblocks getting in my way every single time I tried. Every. Single. Time! And yet, look at me now without them holding me back! Surrounded by more beautiful women than I can count! And making bank off poor desperate saps like I used to be.”

AK was not impressed. “Your rise came at her expense.”

“You poor little thing.” The pimp's voice seemed to echo through the entire room. “You misremember. She willingly gave her body to me. Heh, such a shame too. She was my best whore, before the overdose.”

“Oh, I will kill you. I will enjoy the feeling of your blood on my hands as it courses forth from your body.”

As the two were waxing poetic, the lady was attempting to find the target. She could not see him, but it was clear from his next words his eyes were upon her.

“And how about you, babe? Wanna work for me? Might be your only chance to have your cherry popped for a Christmas cake–”

She spotted him in the giant tortoise fossil and pulled the trigger. A muffed blast marked the bullet screaming forth. Her aim was perfect and would have ended it there, if not for the large turret-like bagworm that intervened. The round could not pierce its metal body.

Suddenly, the lady was tackled to the ground. She kept a firm grip on her handgun, able to bash the end of it into her assailant. AK stood and gave her a light kick. “HE'S MINE!” he screamed, loud enough to alert anyone in the building.

B-Slapp stepped into view at last. He wore a cream-coloured scarf sewn from fine pelt, heart-shaped sunglasses on his forehead, an open fur coat with no undershirt, and dangerously tight black leather pants that outlined his nether regions. On each of his fingers was a different ring, sometimes multiple on the same finger. The lady had seen many things in the past six years, but none came closer to instilling fear in her than this man's face. His twisted grin full of gold teeth was nothing special, nor were his misshapen ears. Then there were his eyes. They were squinted shut, completely closed, and yet it felt as if they could see every motion one made.

“Ooo, tough break, kids,” B-Slapp mocked. The lady got to her feet at once, although AK and the pimp's sentry dissuaded her from firing another round. “Quite the lover's quarrel you two are having. And now your little ambush has been turned around on you.”

At once, two guards entered from either door. One was tall and gangly, wearing thick lenses. Another was short and stout. The repulsive scent of these men who evidently never knew showers reached their nostrils from across the room. B-Slapp took that moment to dart away.

“Kill them,” barked AK. “I'm going after this traitor. To take his life myself!”

The lady nodded. Reckless, but wise, that he wouldn't escape. “I'll be with you shortly,” she promised.

“Stop right…gah!” The short goon fell over dodging AK's knife swing. The elderly assassin made no attempt to follow through, simply continuing to pursue B-Slapp.

“Never mind him, the boss can handle that one,” said the other goon, sending out one of Kanto's three starters, the grass one. Now that the lady got a better look, she realized he couldn't have been more than fifteen years. Perhaps a failed trainer. Or as B-Slapp implied, someone he lured in with promises of women. “Let's have some fun with her before we kill her!”

“Maybe we can have some fun with her after, too!” cackled the other as he stood. A little older. He brought out a small blue round thing with leaves on its head. “If you know what I mean! Powder her, Weed!”

“You too!”

Her lip curled, restraining her repulsion. Was this their normal attitude, or was it twisted by their boss? Whatever the case, this was going to be too easy. Even with B-Slapp's own joining in the battle. She reached for one of her own companions and whispered, “Uriel…purging fire.”

The lady kept a watchful eye on the trainers as the floating ghost emerged in a flash of white light. He ignited the candles on his many arms, spewing a torrent of flame across their attackers.

The Grass-types fell instantly, and the bagworm took a lot of damage as well. The fortress of steel started spinning and tried to tackle Uriel with the momentum, but passed through him ineffectually. Another Flamethrower was all it took to put the Bug and Steel type down for the count as well.

The two goons recoiled. “Oh…crap!” said the one with the starter. “She's good! Get her!”

The lady sighed as they charged. “Silence them.”

Uriel waved his hands rhythmically, sending out disorienting rays of light. Their feeble minds were no match for the Confuse Ray. The lady took the chance to rush over. With one punch apiece, she knocked them unconscious.

“Rest,” she whispered to the young men. “For these sins are not yours to be punished for.” They were witnesses, yes, but they were not the target and just as much victims. The delirium would scramble their memories enough that it would not be considered valid testimony anyway.

She nodded at Uriel for a job well done. Yet she had to rejoin AK as soon as possible.

#####

The second floor had a central room, four on each corner, and hallways. The lady followed the sound of voices to the one furthest from where she had been. The door had been left open, so she was able to enter undetected.

“So I played things your way, and you still lost,” came B-Slapp's voice. She spotted him standing over a bloodied AK before a spacecraft exhibit. “And it wasn't even close. I was expecting more of a fight from you. I have to say, I haven't been this unsatisfied since…oh, when did your mother come crawling to me on her hands and knees?”

“Damn you…” AK cursed. The lady kept moving, trying to get to a better vantage spot. She could not afford to miss. Or worse, be seen.

“I suppose that's how it is. I should tell you, though. I have this nice little dig site where no one will ever find your body. Not that anyone would care about someone like you going missing.”

“Hate…”

“The Space Shuttle exhibit,” said B-Slapp, momentarily looking back. “You know, it works as a model rocket. They wheel it out and show it off to the kids once a year, and it's almost that time. I used to hate it. It does not belong in a museum of archaeological science!” He punched it in anger, taking a deep breath that gave way to laughter. “Yet in recent years, I've come to love it! It's a good place to store things. Airtight, too.”

The lady knew she had to act immediately. She moved a little closer, weapon drawn. She made it behind the Moon Stone exhibit. Right as she lined up the sights, they noticed her. B-Slapp reached for his belt, but he was too slow. The lady shot.

This time, there was nothing to protect him. The bullet pierced his chest, going through into the craft behind him. An explosion followed. The lady saw a faint orange glow coming from inside.

“A companion of prostitutes squanders his wealth,” she said, as the target clutched at the wound in shock. “And you squandered the life God gave you.”

B-Slapp crumpled to the floor. By his laboured screams, she reckoned the bullet had pierced a lung.

“No!” roared AK, lunging for his fallen blade. He stood powerful and defiant, raising it to the ceiling. “I said his life is mine to end! Die, Brock!”

Like a man possessed, he jumped atop and started thrusting the knife into B-Slapp's chest over and over. The lady eyed the flames licking out of the shuttle warily. She pondered how to defuse the situation without risking injury to herself or AK.

AK reared back and delivered one final stab through the skull. The former Gym Leader gurgled. AK stood over him and watched, grinning psychotically ear from ear as the life left the pimp's body.

At that moment, the gas tank in the shuttle blew up. The lady ducked back behind the exhibit, the large rock shielding her from the blast. A scream of agony rang out as the blast hurled AK next to her. She chanced one look at the epicentre. What remained of B-Slapp would soon be ashes.

“I…killed him…” AK wheezed in triumph. His body was covered in burns, and many pieces of shrapnel were embedded within him. Moreover, some of his joints were bent the wrong way, be they from the fall or his fight with the pimp.

In the distance, the lady heard sirens. Small wonder. If they had not been alerted before, the shuttle exploding certainly got their attention. She brought out another of her companions. A tall green bird, vaguely reminiscent of totem poles.

“We need to get out of here.”

For once, AK did not protest or argue. He gave not a word, in fact.

“Remiel. Teleport.”

#####

Always have an escape route. That was basic planning for any assassin, and the best way out was with teleportation. They had been brought to a grove hidden deep within Viridian Forest.

AK appeared to notice where they were. He looked up. “Been ages since I was here. I remember when I caught…” He trailed off as the pain from his wounds momentarily overwhelmed him.

“You need treatment,” she said simply.

“You, who have dealt with death for so long should be aware that there is no recovering from injuries like these. My fate is sealed. It would be far too dangerous for you to take me into the hospital, anyway.”

The lady lowered her head, her hands pressed together in silent prayer. She knew that. But she wanted to save people. If there was even the slightest hope of doing so…

“My switchblade,” he said. “In my front right. Grant me this…”

With a measure of hesitation, the lady reached in and retrieved it. A small, simple multi tool. She handed it to him, backing away after. Trust. Would he resent her for what she had done? She kept a wary hand on her hidden holster, ready to draw and fire.

But AK only raised the blade and sliced across the one mark on his arm that had not yet been rendered a cross. B-Slapp's mark. With that, his revenge had been completed in full.

Then lifted his shirt. The lady could not stand still, for that was never the answer. Her shock made her react far too late to prevent it. Mercifully, he only lightly ran the knife across his stomach, creating another line.

“This one…for the biggest traitor of all…” he explained. “The ultimate betrayal.”

She understood at once. “In other words, you…”

AK silently nodded. “I lost everything. All I knew was vengeance, and it felt great, damn it!”

The lady stood stoic. It was not her place to judge him, lest she be judged. Even God could be pushed to seek vengeance, contrasted to Him asking His children to forgive.

“But lying at here at the end I realize…” AK cringed. “I lost sight of myself. Heh, don't even know what I'd have done after this. If I'd just let you kill him, wouldn't have happened. Guess I'll never know now.”

“Matthew 10:36 says that a man's worst enemies will be that of his household.” The elderly assassin glared at her for a moment, until she continued. “But I believe that we are our own worst enemies, for the struggles we grapple with each day are what threaten to consume us.”

AK laughed, an insane explosion of sound. Equal measures deranged and delighted. He carved across his stomach once more to finish the marking, signifying the death of the final traitor, the man who had betrayed himself and all he had stood for.

“I'm…Ash Ketchum,” he stated, sitting up with the last of his strength. To hear that was a shock on multiple levels. “What's your name? Your real name?”

She silently nodded. “Abigail,” she returned the favour. “Abigail Kappel.”

Ash smiled. He actually laughed. For the first time that night, these gestures were born of genuine happiness, at the irony they shared the same initials. “Never become like me, AK.” With these parting words, he closed his eyes and laid down for good.

It would be silent, if not for the wind. It felt for a moment as if the breeze running through the trees was crying for the loss. Much as she was.

“Rest now, for it is finished,” Abigail whispered. Wiping her tears, she knelt down and said a prayer. “O' gracious and merciful Lord, I ask that you show compassion to this lost soul, a man who lived through too much betrayal. May he be granted a chance to atone for his own sins in death, that he may eventually be welcomed into your kingdom and know your love. Amen.”

To take a life was to take on sin. The lady understood this well. Perhaps this was a sign from God, too, of what awaited her if she continued down this path.

Ash Ketchum. She had heard of him. Once a soaring bird who had his wings clipped, and could never truly fly free even as a hawk. He was also her sister's idol, before she passed. What bitter irony, she thought. They had both held him in high regard at different points of his life.

She was also at a juncture in hers, to continue or to retire. But that was a decision Abigail would have to make later. Before her was something she needed to do. She turned to Remiel, who had sensed her intentions. With his powers and wings, they began erecting a grave. It was what little they could do for him, to grant him the smallest gesture of peace.

Last edited:
The true essence of betrayal is that it can come from all of us. As The Last Jedi showed, your bloodline is irrelevant to your ability to enact hood and evil in this world, just as your surname is irrelevant to your ability to fear betrayal and embrace trust. But truly we are the ultimate betrayers in straying from the canon we have been so mercifully given by the Lord himself, as is written in scripture,,,

“Even a gun can betray you,” is obviously meant to be interpreted in pure seriousness, and expertly foreshadows the climactic battle in which Abigail’s gun does indeed fail her. Poetry in motion.

The true essence of betrayal is that it can come from all of us. As The Last Jedi showed, your bloodline is irrelevant to your ability to enact hood and evil in this world, just as your surname is irrelevant to your ability to fear betrayal and embrace trust. But truly we are the ultimate betrayers in straying from the canon we have been so mercifully given by the Lord himself, as is written in scripture,,,
Well this fic wasn't a total shitpost, I put at least a little effort in. The lady quoting scripture was originally just a kooky trait and a means to also fire a shot at people who say it's the Juedo-Christian God (I take the stance that that whatever LA did was new writers pushing this). Then it was to give B-Slapp something to say (the not killing bit) before I settled on the direction for that scene. But I kept it anyway for traits and that bit at the end where she shows she doesn't follow it mindlessly. It contrasts AK who is single-minded and actually batshit insane.

“Even a gun can betray you,” is obviously meant to be interpreted in pure seriousness, and expertly foreshadows the climactic battle in which Abigail’s gun does indeed fail her. Poetry in motion.
That paragraph may have been where I started this from, and it's one interpretation all right! It also foreshadows how far gone AK is to not trust mechanical things. But no, it's not the main betrayal and was just the thing that spawned AK's character. This is, after all, an Ash Betrayal fic. And who is the ultimate traitor to him? No, not his partner for the mission or her gun, but as the final scene spells out, it's AK. B-Slapp was dead to rights, but he had to get the killing blows in and paid for it. He lost his way. So in other words, Ash betrays himself. Which was the idea/direction I wanted to go with

Last edited:
If B-Slapp is Brock I'm gonna lose it.

...aaand he is.

I know they're older here but I'm mentally hearing this all in Brock's 4Kids era voice and it's hilarious.
Hate to say it but I've seen Brocko more out of character in non-parodies.

So...I'm not familiar with betrayal fics in particular but it certainly fit in with the grimdark fics that I saw popping up like dragon's teeth warriors in the OS days.

Not being specifically said how everyone betayed Ash I'm gong to assume they tricked him into investing all his money into NFTs.

Hate to say it but I've seen Brocko more out of character in non-parodies.
A sad truth. It works a little here since Brock is older anyway, and I tried to at least connect his warped new personality with his real one

So...I'm not familiar with betrayal fics in particular but it certainly fit in with the grimdark fics that I saw popping up like dragon's teeth warriors in the OS days.
Neither am I, I just wrote what felt unnatural.

Not being specifically said how everyone betayed Ash I'm gong to assume they tricked him into investing all his money into NFTs.
I'd like to assume they don't give very good to no reasons for betraying Ash either, so I left it up to the reader's interpretation. I almost had a bit where B-Slapp justifies "her" betrayal but I left it ambiguous as to whether or not it was one or just him getting her hooked on drugs

Well, guess what ended up being my second entry for the February review challenge? Certainly not what I was expecting to read tonight, but this one… called to me for some reason, haha. Shall we begin?

Now, I will say this: I actually didn’t really pay too much attention to the author’s note when I first started reading this, so I kind of just dived right in, really. It took me until the revelation that “B-Slapp” (ah, how hard I laughed when I first read that!) is none other than our favorite G-rated pervert Brock taken to his logical R-rated extreme that I realized that “AK” is, in fact, Ash Ketchum. In retrospect, it’s so obvious, isn’t it? At least if you’ve read enough “betrayal fics” where you see Ash doing hilariously out-of-character things in often hilariously out-of-character contexts, to the point where he’s essentially Ash in name only.

But perhaps it’s a testament to just how far the story goes with that with that ever-familiar trope of betrayal fics, and just how well it blends into the rest of the story’s rather surprising commital to an outrageously twisted, yet still recognizable (if barely), version of the Pokémon world. I mean really, for a parody, this fic goes in hard, to the point where things seem almost completely believable when the story talks about things like the “hawks of justice” who deal death to those the law doesn’t punish, or when we’re introduced to a fellow female assassin with an… interesting philosophy and worldview for a stone-cold killer, or when As—ahem! “AK” shows us his “battle scars” and coldly declares that there’s still one more mark to be made (ominous!). And then the fic tops it all off with what’s actually a legitimately tense and epic battle against Bro—ahem! “B-Slapp” (damn, laughing at that never gets old), with clever and helpful use of Pokémon alongside knives and guns, shockingly chilling banter between our completely unrepentant villain and our, um… “heroes” (if you can call them that, haha), and actually potent emotional stakes both during the battle and in the wake of its aftermath? Impressive!

And yet, even after all that, this is still, of course, a parody above all else. Which is made oh-so-wonderfully clear with all of the hilariously overwrought dialogue we get to underline our characters’ thoughts and feelings about anything and everything. Up to and including AK’s declared intent to deliver the ultimate revenge to B-Slapp in response to the fic’s titular ultimate betrayal, which is of such great importance that we’re never given any real idea what said betrayal even is. Except that it probably involves prostitutes. And possibly one of his former traveling companions or a love interest being one. With Brock being the pimp. Because of course. Gotta love those R-rated fantasies lived vicariously through a prepubescent anime protagonist warped beyond all recognition through the power of fanfic and an adolescent-tier level of discretion, amirite?

That said, there were a few things that kind were kind of just ridiculous, rather than gloriously so, to the point of taking me out of things a bit, primarily during the final battle with B-Slapp (that is never going to stop being weird to type, haha). First were the obese guards, which you go out of your way to describe as such — along with their, um, lack of affinity for showers — that I’ll admit having laughed at just for the sheer random outrageousness at all. But on second read it seemed a bit, I don’t know, mean-spirited to have them be like that, in the sense that it had me asking “is this really necessary?” and kind of reminded me too much of the pervasive trope of such people being treated as losers (a tiresome trope, indeed). Which, granted, they are implied to be losers, possibly in quite the literal sense of the word (in another one of the story’s surprisingly straight-faced narrative beats), but perhaps that alone is enough. And another thing that kind of irked me was said guards threatening sexual violence against our female assassin, which is admittedly well within the realm of absurdly grimdark and over-the-top things you’d find in a betrayal fic and is presumably something you put in there intentionally to lampoon it as such. But given how often that trope is used without irony elsewhere, it was more of a groan and an eyeroll for me more than something that I actively found amusing or funny. So unfortunately, not everything in the sillier side of the equation sticks the landing as much as I expect you hoped it would; some things just have too much baggage associated with them, I think.

Still, the fact that so much of everything in this fic does stick the landing — and in such a graceful and effortless way belying that of the betrayal fics that it’s making fun of — really surprised me, actually. I can tell that you’ve dedicated a lot of effort into making things as silly as possible without making things seem so silly all the time, which makes things all the more rewarding and cathartic when the really silly stuff comes in. Watching hardened assassins plot murder in hushed tones under the cover of darkness before uttering the name “B-Slapp” in the middle of it all, without even batting an eye, is low-key comedy gold, as is hearing a killer dramatically recite Bible verses without irony while also plotting murder, and as is witnessing someone plunge a knife into a man’s skull and scream “I killed him!” after said man had already been shot in the chest, as if claiming some hallowed prize for doing so. And yet, even after all of that, it’s weird for me to see to see the story conclude on a somber note with what feels like genuine pathos wrought by a certain character’s demise and the surviving assassin’s thoughts on it all. Even when you realize that said pathos are actually completely unearned once you look back at the story and its absolutely nonsensical, trope-laden emotional trajectory. It’s weird… but in a good way. Such is the surprising genius of this farcical adventure of a most violent revenge for a most ultimate betrayal. The ten-year-old fanfic writer in all of us would be proud, haha!

Last edited:
Well, guess what ended up being my second entry for the February review challenge? Certainly not what I was expecting to read tonight, but this one… called to me for some reason, haha. Shall we begin?
Well, you certainly picked A Thing all right.

It took me until the revelation that “B-Slapp” (ah, how hard I laughed when I first read that!) is none other than our favorite G-rated pervert Brock taken to his logical R-rated extreme that I realized that “AK” is, in fact, Ash Ketchum. In retrospect, it’s so obvious, isn’t it?
Of course, the title takes on a double meaning once you read the end scene and realize the lady is an AK too.

At least if you’ve read enough “betrayal fics” where you see Ash doing hilariously out-of-character things in often hilariously out-of-character contexts, to the point where he’s essentially Ash in name only.
More or less! Hell, he's like that in the non-betrayal fics too! I did try to give some history to B-Slapp to show how he could've fallen so far, but well, again, barely recognizabl.

I mean really, for a parody, this fic goes in hard, to the point where things seem almost completely believable when the story talks about things like the “hawks of justice” who deal death to those the law doesn’t punish, or when we’re introduced to a fellow female assassin with an… interesting philosophy and worldview for a stone-cold killer
The lady was intended to be a much more saner individual, even if she recites the Bible at times (which I more or less put in for the sake of the last scene, with tweaks I'd probably drop some of the more forced ones). Note that aside from that quirk, her lines are much more reined in than the over-the-top insanity of basically everyone else. She's also pretty much a good person doing bad things for the right reasons. Morality can be a little gray.

or when As—ahem! “AK” shows us his “battle scars” and coldly declares that there’s still one more mark to be made (ominous!).
Contrast AK, who is definitely not all there. The first paragraph I wrote when it was brought up in Discord was the one about guns potentially betraying you. The implication being he was driven kind of actually crazy by all the betrayal, given the number of marks on him.

And then the fic tops it all off with what’s actually a legitimately tense and epic battle against Bro—ahem! “B-Slapp” (damn, laughing at that never gets old), with clever and helpful use of Pokémon alongside knives and guns, shockingly chilling banter between our completely unrepentant villain and our, um… “heroes” (if you can call them that, haha), and actually potent emotional stakes both during the battle and in the wake of its aftermath? Impressive!
Of course, I was going to make sure it was quality enough, even through all the parody. I made sure that you could definitely feel the emotions going through all the characters. AK's unbridled rage, B-Slapp's excessive villainy and smug superiority, and the lady's lack of emotion (until the end), just wanting to do the job while preventing needless bloodshed. Of course she got dragged into AK's crazy world.

Up to and including AK’s declared intent to deliver the ultimate revenge to B-Slapp in response to the fic’s titular ultimate betrayal, which is of such great importance that we’re never given any real idea what said betrayal even is.
Actually, the titular ultimate betrayal? As the last scene alludes to, it was Ash betraying himself! It's also indicated a lot of other people betrayed him, it's just that B-Slapp was the last one he dealt with. There's nothing necessarily wrong with revenge, but it consumed him to the point of hurting himself and those around him.

Gotta love those R-rated fantasies lived vicariously through a prepubescent anime protagonist warped beyond all recognition through the power of fanfic and an adolescent-tier level of discretion, amirite?
Yuuup. Of course, he's an old man now. Which, depending on some of those R-rated fantasies, might make it even weirder.

First were the obese guards, which you go out of your way to describe as such — along with their, um, lack of affinity for showers — that I’ll admit having laughed at just for the sheer random outrageousness at all. But on second read it seemed a bit, I don’t know, mean-spirited to have them be like that, in the sense that it had me asking “is this really necessary?”
Yeah, maybe. The idea here was to subtly imply that B-Slapp is luring in people who can't get with girls for one reason or another into his fold. Of course, there's many reasons behind that, besides the physical ones. I suppose I could've made that more evident or brought it up, maybe making one of them different.

And another thing that kind of irked me was said guards threatening sexual violence against our female assassin, which is admittedly well within the realm of absurdly grimdark and over-the-top things you’d find in a betrayal fic and is presumably something you put in there intentionally to lampoon it as such. But given how often that trope is used without irony elsewhere, it was more of a groan and an eyeroll for me more than something that I actively found amusing or funny.
Was included for that reason. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible at the time. In a tweak for this, I might consider making their threat a ridiculous euphemism that makes the lady herself react in a facepalmy way.

I can tell that you’ve dedicated a lot of effort into making things as silly as possible without making things seem so silly all the time, which makes things all the more rewarding and cathartic when the really silly stuff comes in.
I am a big fan of absurdism. Of course, there does have to be some sense to it, even if it only makes sense in the context of the world. They do plot murder under the cover of night, but they're doing so in assassin's cant, for example.

And yet, even after all of that, it’s weird for me to see to see the story conclude on a somber note with what feels like genuine pathos wrought by a certain character’s demise and the surviving assassin’s thoughts on it all. Even when you realize that said pathos are actually completely unearned once you look back at the story and its absolutely nonsensical, trope-laden emotional trajectory. It’s weird… but in a good way.
So! To talk about this. When this expanded from a paragraph into a fic idea, this was one of the first scenes I came up with. A bittersweet ending to wrap things up, the revelation of Ash realizing he betrayed his own morals (and is responsible for his own death), and perhaps a bit of hope for the lady's future in getting out of the killing business. She feels sympathy for AK, a man driven to vengeance-induced madness by being betrayed by everyone he knew, and the idea for her to say a prayer for him was where her Bible-quoting came from. Similarly in this scene, she shows a bit of roundedness by showing she doesn't take scripture verbatim.

It's supposed to feel a bit weird! You go from all this parody and humor to a sort of sympathy for a devil situation. It's what wraps things up into an actual story than a collection of tropes and funny things.

Thanks for reading, and glad you enjoyed it.

Gave this an update for the day. Short list of changes, although less than I wanted since my brother is being a distracting motormouth:

• A bit of dialogue and quotes cleanup.
  • The lady now ponders that it's odd she was handpicked and yet someone else wants to come along.
  • Cut back on her biblical quotes slightly. At least one's still in and some others got written in more naturally, because of the bit at the end where she goes against the scripture as written is significant.
  • The fact that AK is so paranoid about betrayal that he's worried about guns misfiring is also made clear
  • Changed the goons a little and had her muse that B-Slapp lured them in.
  • Also add a bit of motivation behind sparing them besides pragmatism, they're victims too.
  • It's also made slightly more clear that the titular Ultimate Betrayal is Ash betraying himself.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom