• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Aura Guardians & Psychics: What's the difference?

AuraSoul93

Future Frontier Brain
Reaction score
Aura Guardians have been shown to project fields/attacks, read minds of others, sense others' presence, & have telepathy. Aura has also been stated to be the living essence in every living thing.

Psychics have been shown to project fields/attacks, read minds of others, sense others' presence, & have telepathy. Psychic powers have been stated to be in everyone, people just don't know it.

So w/ these things in mind, is there any difference between Aura Guardians & Psychics?

I think Psychics have a few other abilities, like teleportation, that Aura Guardians don't have. I've also seen Psychics see the future, but I don't think any Aura Guardians have.

Aura Guardians seem to be something like a branched kind of Psychics. So, they probably come from the same ancestor, but they later split. I think the reason is that while Aura can be materialized (such as in Aura Sphere), Psychics can't materialize their powers.

Short version: One uses Fighting types and the other uses Psychic types.

Long version: Psychics are more like ESPers, and focus on mental ability. Aura is something less rational and uses the flowing energies of living beings (see: chi/ki, aura, etc). Both can be used for ultimately similar purposes, but work differently.

A Psychic would feel your thoughts, yet an Aura Guardian would feel your... aura. A Psychic would read your conscious mind, and an Aura Guardian would read your subconscious mind.

Anybody can be a Psychic if they try and get training in the Pokemon world. Aura Guardians are special, because not everybody can use and channel Aura, much less sense it. That's why there are so few.

As said above, Aura is an energy not everybody is actually aware of and only a select few actually have the ability or potential to manipulate it. Theortically, not everybody could just turn up and train how to use it. It could even be that the methods of using it have been lost over time.

However, everyone can become a psychic it they train the ability. There are varying degrees of success, but it seems that anyone could train their mind to become a psychic.

Furthermore, Aura is an actual energy that can effect surroundings and other people, whereas the mind of a Psychic is seemingly limited as to what it can effect.

It's also possible that one power enhances the other.

The honest answer is that Aura Guardians are the pokemon replacement of Psychics. That's why they get more screentime.

It looks like you can learn Psychic powers to a limited extent (determined by your genes) but you can only be born with Aura powers.

Long version: Psychics are more like ESPers, and focus on mental ability. Aura is something less rational and uses the flowing energies of living beings (see: chi/ki, aura, etc). Both can be used for ultimately similar purposes, but work differently.

A Psychic would feel your thoughts, yet an Aura Guardian would feel your... aura. A Psychic would read your conscious mind, and an Aura Guardian would read your subconscious mind.

Pretty much what I was going to say except that Psychics would be more involved with their "minds" and Aura Guardians would be more of a "spirit" or "soul" type of thing

My guess is that Aura is similar to the Force, as opposed to "mere" psychic power. I'm not much of an Expanded Universe guy, but I could have sworn there were non-Jedi psychics in Star Wars, probably in the books, comics, or whatever.

psychics are people/pokemon who use their mind to see the future/attack etc while aura guardians are people/pokemon who see the life force of a person/pokemon/everything and is able to channel that energy into uses like attacks and defence quite different.

Aura Guardians are more like Ryu from Street Fighter while Psychics are more like Professor X from X-Men.

Pretty much what I was going to say except that Psychics would be more involved with their "minds" and Aura Guardians would be more of a "spirit" or "soul" type of thing

Also thinking along the same lines, but I would like to add this: The spirit of a aura guardian would be a fighting spirit (since aura sphere is a fighting type move).

Honestly, while I've theorized that both aura and psychic powers are things people can learn (despite common assertion that aura must be inherited), I think the main difference is the source of their powers. Whereas Psychic users use their powers to bend reality to their will, suggesting an internal source of power being exerted on the environment, Aura users seem like they guide the energy flow around them. In this sense, while the most basic aura abilities may stem from internal sources, aura users may be able to draw energy from their surroundings. An interpretation of this was demonstrated by Hiori's Lucario in Phantom Thief, Pokémon 7 when it drew energy from its team mates to power up its aura sphere.

While both powers also draw from emotion, I think the way they use emotions are fundamentally different. BW suggests that Caitlin's raw Psychic powers were uncontrollable due to her inability to control her emotions during Pt-era, but certain aura-based moves, such as Dark Pulse suggest the requirement of negative affect to fuel the move. While it may not necessarily be a fighting move, the fact Lucario can learn this via move-relearner after evolution leads me to believe this is an innate aura trait.

It is entirely possible that the similar abilities the two represent developed independently of each other, and its source is completely different. This happens in real life all the time. Both birds and bats have the ability to fly, but their wings evolved independently of each other.

In the end, I don't think its about mind vs. spirit. It seems more analogous to the two types of cultures that exist in our society: individualistic and collectivistic. Psychic powers draw from within, while aura powers draw from the environment. Indeed, if the analogy follows, it is likely that Psychic powers developed out of aura powers as the notion of individualism is relatively new.

Last edited:
My bother made a world where magic esp and aura powers co exist. ESP is the spiritual manipulation of mental energy, Aura powers are physical manipulations of spiritual energy and Magic is the mental manipulation of physical energy. Now these worlds are different but what my brother's assignments of words are pretty freaking accurate when thinking about what goes on in other works of fiction. Just two factors to think about where they draw there energy and how the operate. Sure all three can shoot energy blasts BUT THEY Fundamentally DIFFERENT KINDS OF ENERGY BLASTS even if they have the same effects also they can all do stuff others can't.

My bother made a world where magic esp and aura powers co exist. ESP is the spiritual manipulation of mental energy, Aura powers are physical manipulations of spiritual energy and Magic is the mental manipulation of physical energy. Now these worlds are different but what my brother's assignments of words are pretty freaking accurate when thinking about what goes on in other works of fiction. Just two factors to think about where they draw there energy and how the operate. Sure all three can shoot energy blasts BUT THEY Fundamentally DIFFERENT KINDS OF ENERGY BLASTS even if they have the same effects also they can all do stuff others can't.

I don't see how this answers anything with regards to the source. Essentially, you made a cycle where spirit manipulates mind, mind manipulates the physical, and the physical manipulates the spirit. It doesn't answer the source of power since you created a loop where each one derives from each other.

Honestly, I'm more for the idea that psychic and aura are both spiritual in nature, but what differs primarily is the source of the spiritual energy, and what it acts on. Psychic is biased from an internal source that acts on external objects, while aura is biased from a combination of internal and external, but can act on the self to enhance one's physical ability, but at the same time form energy blasts--however, does not manipulate others physical objects.

@The Outrage I don't know where get this source stuff comes from there are energies and the are manipulated in different ways there is no "source" and there is no logical need for one. A loop =/= cycliar logic. Phychic powers were always pertrayed as mentally based in medfia and Aura is was called spiritual energy and is pertray that way when you look at the 8th movie such as the aura being part of one's pathos. Psychic powers HAVE TO BE MENTALLY cause posession of these powers is called extra sensory PERCEPTION veiw point is heavily linked with thought therefore psychics are mentally based. Also you must take into account everytime a psychic type is called a genius. Goku for example has tons of profancicy with spiritual energy but he is dumb so he unlikely to use psychic powers if that weren't the case why would they call psychic types genuises.

Aura is made up of life, while psychi is made up of brainwaves. The two may be linked, however.

@The Outrage I don't know where get this source stuff comes from there are energies and the are manipulated in different ways there is no "source" and there is no logical need for one.
Just because you say there is no need for one does not make it true. You're telling me this 'energy' just appears out of nowhere?

A loop =/= cycliar logic.
But in this case it is. The spirit manipulates the mind, the mind manipulates the physical, the physical manipulates the spirit (which, by the way, you did not explain how it does so, just as how you did not mention how spirit affects mental energy). So when the spirit manipulates the mind, is it actually the physical that's manipulating it by proxy? But then the mind manipulates the physical!

What does the "spiritual manipulation of mental energy" even mean? That you're using your spirit to manipulate mental energy? So how are you doing that? The spirit can't be conceived as anything else other than a metaphysical force.
Phychic powers were always pertrayed as mentally based in medfia
Which does not actually go against my proposition that psychic abilities are internally based

Aura is was called spiritual energy and is pertray that way when you look at the 8th movie such as the aura being part of one's pathos.
While we're bringing other media into this, psychic abilities are also portrayed as spirituality. Of course, in Pokemon, there's a bigger gap between spirituality and psychic powers, which, again, links back to the analogy of shifting from harmony between the internal and external (i.e. Aura) to a focus on how the internal can manipulate the outside world

Psychic powers HAVE TO BE MENTALLY cause posession of these powers is called extra sensory PERCEPTION veiw point is heavily linked with thought therefore psychics are mentally based. Also you must take into account everytime a psychic type is called a genius. Goku for example has tons of profancicy with spiritual energy but he is dumb so he unlikely to use psychic powers if that weren't the case why would they call psychic types genuises.
Extrasensory perception is simply reception of information that is not from the typical physical senses. This definition confounds it with Aura, as those abilities too allow the user to gain information from sources other than the physical senses, hence the debate.

The only Psychics called geniuses in this franchise would be Alakazam and Metagross, two of many Psychic types that don't share that title. There are also many non-Psychics that are attributed with great intelligence (i.e. Dragonite and Lapras). As far as human psychics go, the most proficient and powerful (Sabrina and Caitlin) are not geniuses.

As for the link with thought--thought is a production of the brain. Emotions are also based on the brain. Aura abilities, while called spiritual, is heavily associated with emotions. At the base of all emotions is an evaluation of whether something is good or bad--basically the simplest of thoughts. The higher order cognitions you likely attribute to Psychics would have developed later--again, in line with my theory that Psychic abilities developed from Aura.

Last edited:
@The Outrage I don't know where get this source stuff comes from there are energies and the are manipulated in different ways there is no "source" and there is no logical need for one.
Just because you say there is no need for one does not make it true. You're telling me this 'energy' just appears out of nowhere?

A loop =/= cycliar logic.
But in this case it is. The spirit manipulates the mind, the mind manipulates the physical, the physical manipulates the spirit (which, by the way, you did not explain how it does so, just as how you did not mention how spirit affects mental energy). So when the spirit manipulates the mind, is it actually the physical that's manipulating it by proxy? But then the mind manipulates the physical!

What does the "spiritual manipulation of mental energy" even mean? That you're using your spirit to manipulate mental energy? So how are you doing that? The spirit can't be conceived as anything else other than a metaphysical force.
Phychic powers were always pertrayed as mentally based in medfia
Which does not actually go against my proposition that psychic abilities are internally based

Aura is was called spiritual energy and is pertray that way when you look at the 8th movie such as the aura being part of one's pathos.
While we're bringing other media into this, psychic abilities are also portrayed as spirituality. Of course, in Pokemon, there's a bigger gap between spirituality and psychic powers, which, again, links back to the analogy of shifting from harmony between the internal and external (i.e. Aura) to a focus on how the internal can manipulate the outside world

Psychic powers HAVE TO BE MENTALLY cause posession of these powers is called extra sensory PERCEPTION veiw point is heavily linked with thought therefore psychics are mentally based. Also you must take into account everytime a psychic type is called a genius. Goku for example has tons of profancicy with spiritual energy but he is dumb so he unlikely to use psychic powers if that weren't the case why would they call psychic types genuises.
Extrasensory perception is simply reception of information that is not from the typical physical senses. This definition confounds it with Aura, as those abilities too allow the user to gain information from sources other than the physical senses, hence the debate.

The only Psychics called geniuses in this franchise would be Alakazam and Metagross, two of many Psychic types that don't share that title. There are also many non-Psychics that are attributed with great intelligence (i.e. Dragonite and Lapras). As far as human psychics go, the most proficient and powerful (Sabrina and Caitlin) are not geniuses.

As for the link with thought--thought is a production of the brain. Emotions are also based on the brain. Aura abilities, while called spiritual, is heavily associated with emotions. At the base of all emotions is an evaluation of whether something is good or bad--basically the simplest of thoughts. The higher order cognitions you likely attribute to Psychics would have developed later--again, in line with my theory that Psychic abilities developed from Aura.

Where does all the energy in the universe come from? Do you know? What relevance does it have? The energy comes from the spirit body and mind! They don't come from each other! I never said that they did so there is no cycular logic! Manipulate and comes from are two completely COMPLETELY different things.

I don't see how a meta physical force can't use mental energy! And yes it means your spirit uses your mental energy to do stuff.

Yes psychic are show to be spiritual but my view takes both into account. Telepathy is a psychic power is communication through thought. Also Proffesor X psychic are different from fortune teller psychics and my view closer to professor X psychics which are closer to psychic types in pokemon.

Also that thing about the brain having emotion and spirit raises the question want need is there for spirit? Which doesn't need to be answered because this is fiction.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom