• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Australian copy of Pokémon White found to work on a Japanese 3DS: Nintendo's region-l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Australian copy of Pokémon White found to work on a Japanese 3DS: Nintendo's regi

Thats strange, an Australian Pokemon White game working on a Japanese 3DS

Re: Australian copy of Pokémon White found to work on a Japanese 3DS: Nintendo's regi

Note: It also worked on the Japanese DSi.

Which means:

1. The DSi uses a 360 style region lock, where region lock is by flags in the coding.

2. Australian BW is DS only and is not region locked.

We will know when BW comes out, or when everyone hacks the DSi/3ds to find out about how locking works.

Huh. I'd be more interested in this development, but I'm still seething Aus got snubbed for Celebi so I aint thinking straight.

Note: It also worked on the Japanese DSi.

Which means:

1. The DSi uses a 360 style region lock, where region lock is by flags in the coding.

2. Australian BW is DS only and is not region locked.

We will know when BW comes out, or when everyone hacks the DSi/3ds to find out about how locking works.

Not likely. We have promotional material in store in the form of booklets, it shows the video chat.

If thats the case, then it's probably 360 style, as Sonic Classic Collection, a game with KNOWN region locking failed on the 3ds, throwing out the ignored code theroy

I think they unlocked the world release, as everyone got it at the same time. More research needs to be done to confirm theroies, as little is known about this.

Well, I can confirm, that the German version of Black & White also works with the Japanese DSi.

I hope many 3DS-games will also work this way. (I mean no region lock)

Well, I can confirm, that the German version of Black & White also works with the Japanese DSi.

I hope many 3DS-games will also work this way. (I mean no region lock)

Sadly, if the 360 is anything to go by, a lot of Japan only games will be locked, Pokemon Japan might lock Japanese Gen VI for the purpose of being dicks, and you will either have to hope it gets hacked like the Wii, or blow $440 on it at Play Asia.

I may have found a reason. The UK games (and presumably, the Australian) games use the region code "O" which I think is new. It's possible that 3DSes have only been programmed to region-lock D,E,F,I,J,P,S (Deutsch,Emericen,French,Italian,Japanese,PAL-region(usually English),Spanish) and don't quite know what to do with an O, so let it through.

If true then it could be '3DS are region-locked, excluding European versions of Pokemon Black/White'.

I may have found a reason. The UK games (and presumably, the Australian) games use the region code "O" which I think is new. It's possible that 3DSes have only been programmed to region-lock D,E,F,I,J,P,S (Deutsch,Emericen,French,Italian,Japanese,PAL-region(usually English),Spanish) and don't quite know what to do with an O, so let it through.

If true then it could be '3DS are region-locked, excluding European versions of Pokemon Black/White'.

I don't think the region codes work like that. If I'm right, there are only these:

A, U, J, E, C, K

A = Australia/New Zealand
U = America
J = Japan
E = Europe
C = China
K = Korea

I'm sure that the O code does not exist.

Also, Japanese DSis work with the games, too. This makes the 3DS theory wrong.

I don't think the region codes work like that. If I'm right, there are only these:

A, U, J, E, C, K

U = America
J = Japan
E = Europe
C = China
K = Korea

Sure. Well, whichever code set you go by, A,C,E,J,K,U or C,D,E,F,I,J,K,P,S(I forgot China/Korea in my earlier post), "O" does not exist and so I was thinking it may not be locked-out on any region's console.

A, U, J, E, C, K

U = America
J = Japan
E = Europe
C = China
K = Korea

From what I've gathered, the European and Australian games have the same lock.

Incidentally, they do not share the same letter code, but are considered the same. (Well, I asked someone to check their system version, and they reported ...A. Hmm... if that is so, E and A are, well, just naming...)

Oh, and I have heard a report that the EU version works fine in a US DSi.

They can use multiple region flags. On the 360, there are games that are multi region.

Well, what do we know? Do the games have all region flags at the same time? Because, apparently, it works on anything.

Well, what do we know? Do the games have all region flags at the same time? Because, apparently, it works on anything.

They possibly could. No one has reverse engineered it yet, but with the 3ds coming soon to America, it probably will get reverse engineered.

It looks like my O theory was exactly right. Possibly because of lots of importing or what, I don't know, but reading on other sites apparently internally both the EN and US (and presumably, AU) versions of BW have the region code "O" and work in anything because of it. So possibly this is the first sighting of region code O?

i really think its unfair that they region locked the games because i have a japanese DSi and i would of loved to play my english version when i got it but im also happy that i can play my japanese white on it

Eh, english versions have been reported to work on any DSi system, whether it's Japanese or European.

Last edited:

Huh? I thought that the games and the 3DSs were region-locked. I guess not. Although I don't know their motivation for doing that, it probably has something to do with the fact that there are a lot of imports between regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom