• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Authors Universe: How far is too far?

Cabaret

I feel so much spring...
Reaction score
Hello all, a great question came a while back in my writings that I wanted to ask the community.

Let's say you have a semi-already established character such as your Rival from Gold and Silver, he technically doesn't have a back story or overbearing personality traits that define him, merely looks. When taking a character from the games or the anime, how far can you take this character as far as making them their own. What I mean is, I've read a fic where characters from the anime partake in a shootout, which is extremely the authors influence, and the characters are taken to the point where they aren't even themselves anymore.

Do you like new renditions on characters from the game and anime universe, or do you prefer that they have their traits that they would usually have within the context of the anime or game?

And what about the events that take place in the characters lives? Do you like it when the author changes certain events in a characters live or do you hate it?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, to what point do you believe an author can manipulate the character as their own?

I'd say, as long as your version of him fits into the story, no far is too far.

On the flipside, if you can't rationalize the character well enough, then any far is too far.

Personally, I like fresh takes on characters. It gets boring having characters stick to canon after a while.

I like taking a character's known actions and extrapolating. For example, GSC Silver will always be a total prick, on some level, until he learns better. Wally should always start off shy, or something, etc.

But developing a character means you can take them anywhere. You can turn Red into a total prick, like GaMa. You can have Silver and Gold become best friends. Anything goes as long as there's a reason.

Nothing is too far in fanfiction, isn't that the whole point? To do with the characters whatever you wanted to do?

Nothing is too far in fanfiction, isn't that the whole point? To do with the characters whatever you wanted to do?

Of course! I was just worried if I should post my new story, it doesn't really stay true to some well known characters personalities.

It's just your interpretation of the character; many fanfictions have them.

I base my alterations based on what we know about them, or what they might know how to do based on what we know about them. (eg. Brock is a master storyteller in my imagined Pokeworld because I figured he might know how to spin a good yarn with all those siblings in the house)

I base my alterations based on what we know about them, or what they might know how to do based on what we know about them. (eg. Brock is a master storyteller in my imagined Pokeworld because I figured he might know how to spin a good yarn with all those siblings in the house)

Exactly, that's what I think. Even if my reasoning behind it seems good, I try to imagine the character acting that way, and see if it feels natural or not. I think anything goes if it has a rational explanation, and is linked in at least a small way back to canon. Let's say a character only appeared once - I think about what might have shaped this character to act the way they do, and then think about how my idea of their past and what I've seen of them will shape their future. I try not to, and I usually don't realise it, but my writing's also influenced by my own experiences and personality. But as to 'how far', if characterisation and settings are kept intact, and things make sense, the question isn't IMO how far -should- you go, it's how far -can- you go. :)

Last edited:
For me, it depends.
When it comes to characters that aren't really fleshed out much in the canon (gym leaders, champion, some rivals), go to town with them. There's isn't much backstory or personality thats been revealed, so you can easily mold them to your liking.
But if its a heavy canon character who already has alot of on-screen time. Then you should be a little careful. You can mold them along the way, but if you don't remain faithful to the personality thats been established, then it just seems off. For example, turning Ash Ketchum into a complete and total pervert. Their canon selves should be used as a base to build on.

...That's what I think, at least.

I like taking a character's known actions and extrapolating. For example, GSC Silver will always be a total prick, on some level, until he learns better. Wally should always start off shy, or something, etc.

But developing a character means you can take them anywhere. You can turn Red into a total prick, like GaMa. You can have Silver and Gold become best friends. Anything goes as long as there's a reason.

I agree with this completely. (And I decided I was going to quote this before I realised that I got a mention!)

Yeah, you can't have their personality do a complete 180... Unless you make it clear that there's some sort of fracture between their publicly perceived identity and their true identity.

Silver is a perfect example in that if he was just randomly cheery and nice to everyone all the time and just had the same appearance, Pokemon and parents as the real Silver then that'd be a bit fucked up.

I try to play pre-established characters very carefully. Except for some occasional and minor exaggeration of traits to fit the setting, I always make sure to stay within their defined personality traits. Independent development of these characters, likewise, should be fine within certain limits and so long as it happens naturally. A good way to keep this in check is having a proof-reader to help judge whether your portrayal is realistic. Others will often catch things like that that the authors may not notice themselves, or ideas that come across much differently in writing than the way they exist in the author's own head.

That's why I use primarily original characters when I write - it's much safer. :)

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom