• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Autogenerated Move stubs

Zhen Lin

φιλομαθής
Reaction score
Well, we now have a functional bot that can make (fairly simple) modifications to pages and create new ones mechanically, and we also have Meowth346's move article stub generator - so we have the option of combining the two to automatically generate 350+ move articles.

But, these are of sub-stub quality. There's very little data in there. I also have access to a database of moves learnable - but it will be a minor challenge finding a way to format it nicely.

So, I ask you this: what should be included in the autogenerated page (subject to limitations of data I have) and how should it be formatted?

Feel free to experiment with the article for Endure - the data there that I have on hand are, for R/S: Level-up, breeding, TM/HM and Tutor, for Emerald: Level-up, and I believe I will be able to retrieve the FR/LG Level-up as well. Theoretically though, the breeding and TM/HM data would be the same between all 5, if not the level-up as well (if not for Deoxys) - so if someone could confirm that for me, it would save me some work.

I've been posting these in-depth lists of Pokémon that learn each move, I think my source is complete, with its lists of which Pokémon can learn each move

That's not exactly the most convenient data source for a bot to work with... Unless you have access to the backing database tables or something?

At first, I wasn't sure a bot could handle it. But now I think it's in the best interests of the project. The sheer volume of moves is too much for any one person, or even three people to do manually.

I assume that moves before Sketch (166) are all Generation I, and from there to Fake Out (252) are all Generation II?

I can confirm that everything before Sketch is Generation I, at least. ^_^;;

Here is a sample of the opening sentences generated:

'''Pound''' is a {{t|Normal}}-type move introduced in [[Generation I]] that deals a small amount of damage.

'''Guillotine''' is a very inaccurate {{t|Normal}}-type one-hit KO move introduced in [[Generation I]].

'''Swords Dance''' is a non-damaging {{t|Normal}}-type move introduced in [[Generation I]].

'''Thunderpunch''' is a damage-dealing {{t|Electric}}-type move introduced in [[Generation I]].

'''Sonicboom''' is a slightly inaccurate {{t|Normal}}-type move introduced in [[Generation I]] that deals a fixed amount of damage.

'''Selfdestruct''' is an extremely damaging {{t|Normal}}-type move introduced in [[Generation I]].

'''Psycho Boost''' is a slightly inaccurate and very highly-damaging {{t|Psychic}}-type move introduced in [[Generation III]].

The full list is at http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:Zhen_Lin/Sandbox. If you find any grammatical errors, don't just correct it there - I need to know so that I can fix the program.

Last edited:
Zhen Lin said:
I assume that moves before Sketch (166) are all Generation I, and from there to Fake Out (252) are all Generation II?

correct, Sketch is the first genII move while fake out is the first of genIII

also, if you do the templates, there needs to be a copy of each move for each generation it appears in. i.e. Pound would need "Template:pound (move)/GenI", "Template:pound (move)/GenII", and "Template:pound (move)/GenIII", while Fake Out would just need "Template:Fake Out (move)/GenIII". The data doesn't have to be accurate right now, there just needs to be some content there with the move name so the tables work.

Last edited:
I think all the Smart Moves that have just been added are linked to "Smartnessness" as a page, as this is the second-highest page on the wanted list, maybe this should be fixed?

Yea, that was the result of a certain search & replace operation run amok... Should be fixed now.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom