• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event Autumn 2022 One-shot Discussion Thread

Reaction score
The entries are in, the writing begins. Oh, hang on -

- that's far more names than I thought I'd have to type.

I think I've got a workable plan for my one-shot. There's a good chance I'm going to one-shot myself right in the foot, because I'm going for a style that's completely new to me this time

Well, I’m going with a new style as well! For this entry I’ll experiment with first person present tense, and I admit it’s a really nice way to get into the mind of the characters and focus only on the details that matter.

To avoid the issues I had with the last contest I've been a lot more careful planning the outline this time so the word limit doesn't result in plots getting snapped off.
But because I make poor decisions I'm also writing in a style I have never used before and doing a monologue story, something I think would work better for my plot idea then a more standard narrative.

1663343874724.png

As the meme implies, I'm also using this as an excuse to try out a style completely alien to me. A story with no transcribed dialogue. On the occasion speaking does happen, it's just rendered in prose descriptions of roughly what's been said. It's gonna be a completely new experience for me, and may require a bit of lateral thinking to keep things sounding good at times, but it'll be interesting to work with. Quite intrigued to see where things come out with all of these experiments.

Horror is something that I am not quite used to. Considering the amount of stories I have written over the years is very small, I can't really say I have much of a style.

Edit: Willing to give it a shot though.

Last edited:
...I'm going with, something that I'm comfortable with. This is going to be my first fanfic...in a long while, and my first one posted to the forums themselves! (and thankfully now, I'd like to assume I'm relatively okay at writing), and writing for my VN has definitely given me a bit of a style, so to speak? But I do have ideas and yesterday I did, thankfully, write something. Maybe it'll be different from what others are doing, but if you've heard me talk about how I write...it'll likely make sense~

...that was a bit of a word salad lol. at any rate, I'm excited to write!! and judge!!

Got a pretty good idea of what I want to do!

A series of drabbles/vignettes based on the album "Spirit Phone". My current ideas are:

Lifetime Achievement Award
The horror of soft resetting for shiny Arceus.

Touch-Tone Telephone
“Notice me senpai” — Archer

Cabinet Man
Clefairy in an arcade

No Eyed Girl
Falling in love with a Xurkitree

When He Died
This dude really wants you to be scared of the horde of faceless men

Sweet Bod
Morty’s genius plan to appeal to the nerds

Eighth Wonder
Mew

Ancient Aliens
Deoxys makes friends

Soft Fuzzy Man
???

As Your Father I Expressly Forbid It
Red gets yelled at by his dad but then you realize that this is just Red’s made up dad

I Earn My Life
Silph Co. to Rocket Co.

Reaganomics
Spiritomb in New Mauville but the Spiritomb is 108 communist Ronald Reagans

Man-Made Object
???

Spiral of Ants
It starts as a Spiral of Ants fic but soon spirals into a Two Trucks fic

I've gotten a page into mine so far. I'm not well versed in horror stories and writing (outside of watching the occasional popular horror games or Tim Burton style film) but I'm giving something not really horror related but kinda like a character-type exploration with a little of horror tropes but not really in that style if that make sense.

And I'm not making the same mistake as I did last One-shot Competition where I gridlocked myself into MOTHER 3's cast and characters.

I've come up with a rough plan for what I plan on doing and written a few hundred words or so throughout the week. Hopefully I'll be able to make some progress this weekend. I just need to make sure I don't end up writing exactly the same thing as last time, because that's totally how my brain works.

Sorry for the double post. I have 3 questions:
1) our entry for this does not have to be 10,000 words, right?
2) the 29th and the 28th of October is where we can submit our entries, correct?
Edit: 3) When we post the story in a separate thread, do we put the link to it in this one?
I ask because I am curious.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post. I have 3 questions:
1) our entry for this does not have to be 10,000 words, right?
That is the limit! Your minimum is anything below~
2) the 29th and the 28th of October is where we can submit our entries, correct?
Correct!
Edit: 3) When we post the story in a separate thread, do we put the link to it in this one?
Maaaaybeeeeee that'd be good, I do wonder if we'll just create a separate thread just for documenting entries though? Beth makes those decisions lol~ so she will know best!!!

Well, I don't mind saying I've been struggling to hit my targets each day - as much because I'm finding I'm having to change aspects of the setting on the fly in order get it to fit the pacing
Same. I've been more motivated to write other stuff. Ahhhhhhh why won't you redirect your energy, brain?

But hey, I got to work on two parts last night. Progress!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom