• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event Autumn 2022 One-shot Discussion Thread

So, I think I've mostly finished my entry. I still have some space left so I may elaborate on some stuff if time allows. Without spoiling anything, I don't think my ending is super strong, lol. But there's also a part of me that likes leaving some things open to interpretation. I guess we'll see what others think :p

I have decided to go back to the very first idea that I had when I signed up for this. I'm not going to spoil, but it may or may not involve a certain side quest in a certain game.
Of course, I have expanded and changed things for this to work the way I have in mind.

Edit: The reason being is that the ideas I had felt they would not work in a short story. There was too much going on to fit it all within 10,000 words. This one that I am working on will because of the nature of it.

Last edited:
So, I think I've mostly finished my entry. I still have some space left so I may elaborate on some stuff if time allows. Without spoiling anything, I don't think my ending is super strong, lol. But there's also a part of me that likes leaving some things open to interpretation. I guess we'll see what others think :p
Eyyy! "Ending Kinda Sucks" buddies! Hopefully I'll be able to edit it into something I'm a little more proud of before submission. I'm not even really done yet, but I don't think it'll take much longer to get all the way there. There's definitely a patch of, like, a thousand words in the final stages that I'm not super proud of and just had to kinda wince through as I just put down what worked well enough to allow me to keep making progress.
I also appear to have significantly underestimated just how much writing was actually in store for me here. I estimated somewhere around 4-5K words, and I'm currently sitting 1,700 more words and counting than even my high-ball estimate.

I'm not really aiming to be the next Stephen King with mine. I am liking how it is going. Focusing on one event honestly works best when it comes to Short Stories. I don't know why I didn't really do that with the other attempts. Of course, I am saving those other ideas for later.

Breaking my eerie spooky quiet forum-lurkery habit just 'cause I wanted to confirm, before I continue on what I'm working on, if I was in fact signed up? I made a comment in the thread before the deadline, but I don't see my name on either the list in the master post, nor this thread. Just wanted to figure out where I sit in limbo, y'know?

True but I haven't even started on mine at all and now with this potential stress I'm under, I probably won't be able to concentrate on it at all sadly. Already been failing too at Inktober...got a few days to draw out (days 11-21) before the end of the month plus days 22-31.

I considered dropping out due to there only being a week left and me deleting most of what I had for being unnecessary filler with no meaning to the overall plot. But I managed to grind out another 1000 words tonight and I'm pretty satisfied with where the story is heading now so I'm still in unless I end up cutting the story to pieces again by next Friday.

Finally wrapped up my writing for the one-shot! My final count is 7,415 words, a full 2.4K above even the higher end of my initial estimate. The story didn't even really bloat all that much, there was just a lot more words to write for the story I'd planned than I expected. My plan now is to just leave it alone for a few days. Don't edit, don't read it, don't even open the document. Then I'll start editing on Deadline Day 1, if I'm not done by the end of the day then I go through to Deadline Day 2 and submit that night. Theoretically going in fresh after not really paying attention to it for a bit will help look at the writing more objectively.

My entry is now done. I looked it over and saw some areas where I can add a bit as well as change bits so that there is a bit more flow to the story as well as to make some parts make more sense.

i do admit that ive been sitting on a finished draft for quite a few weeks but only got around to finally reading through and making edits as necessary these past few days. honestly this entrys gonna make absolutely no sense at all whatsoever, but pretty sure its done now unless i find something else i decide to change.

knowing me im going to forget the deadline at some point and only barely manage to submit it on the 29th at 23:58 because thats just how it goes sometimes

i do admit that ive been sitting on a finished draft for quite a few weeks but only got around to finally reading through and making edits as necessary these past few days. honestly this entrys gonna make absolutely no sense at all whatsoever, but pretty sure its done now unless i find something else i decide to change.

knowing me im going to forget the deadline at some point and only barely manage to submit it on the 29th at 23:58 because thats just how it goes sometimes
At e=least you got something.

@Torchic W. Pip, @Cresselia92, @takoyaki, @Daren, @Psycho Monkey, @AinaMangrove, @Lone_Garurumon, @InfiniteBakuphoon, @PandaSamma, @Prince Mulan, @spookiserenity, @Lightning Flame Blast, @joshthewriter, @ShieldDoesPixels, @Ryoma Maser, @System Error, @newpokemonfan, @columboisreal, @Minnachu, @jukibernina, @Greninjaman, @Dr.Pastry, @SparklingEspeon, @Blanc, @Otters, @Aozora, @galacticarticuno, @Spiteful Murkrow, @iG.maliant, @The Walrein, @HelloYellow17

Hey everyone! So, the vibe is that many of us have been struggling to be finished for the deadline. I'm considering extending the deadline by one week - if anyone is in favour of that, sound off in this thread in the next 24 hours

@Beth Pavell I'd be open to a deadline extension as long as the submission window still opens sometime on or before Halloween, since... yeah. My submission is kinda best enjoyed in that specific timeframe, and I'd imagine a lot of other entrants' submissions are as well. It'd be a shame to have to choose between getting it out in the wild for a seasonally appropriate release and staying in the running for scoring for the contest.

Granted, I'm just a wee bit biased since my submission is effectively done and I'm just reeling in feedback for last-minute touchups until it's time to yeet it out for judging.

I’m basically done mine. As long as the original submission window stays open so I can still release for Halloween, I’m fine with the deadline extending.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom