• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'Avatar' is No. 1 film of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrnMarvl14

Lying
Reaction score
Source.

It was only a matter of time - 47 days, to be precise.

According to the box office tally site Boxofficemojo.com, "Avatar" is now the highest-grossing movie of all time domestically. The James Cameron film's business now stands at $601.1 million, ahead of the $600.8 million Cameron's "Titanic" did back in 1997-98.

Moreover, "Titanic" took 252 days to top out; "Avatar," which has been the biggest movie in the country since its mid-December release, is still No. 1 and shows little sign of flagging (and those nine Oscar nominations won't hurt).

The film is already the global box office leader, having topped "Titanic's" $1.8 billion-plus last week.

Yes, there's been a lot of teeth-grinding over what this means. Yes, tickets for "Avatar" cost more than "Titanic," or "Star Wars," or "Gone With the Wind." Yes, the film is still down the list if you adjust for inflation. But credit where credit is due: "Avatar" was a monumental gamble - its budget is the kind of thing that can cripple studios - and it's paid off, both critically and commercially. James Cameron has got the golden touch.

And, yet, I still haven't seen it. Probably my post-Titanic fear of James Cameron movies.

Well... I haven't seen it yet, but it really doesn't look that brilliant anyway. Sure, it looks good, but I can think of other movies which look/are much, much better.

Avatar is an awesome movie! I will say though the 3D version gave me a headache and wasn't as clear as the 2D but still was pretty awesome to see! Got to see it twice... once 2D and once in 3D so was all worth the money =D

-Cricket Korta'Ari-

3D made the movie. Wouldn't be as good without it.

Could have been better if it wasn't so predictable, but it was still a nice movie.

Well... I haven't seen it yet, but it really doesn't look that brilliant anyway. Sure, it looks good, but I can think of other movies which look/are much, much better.

You really should see it.

It was good. Maybe not the best (I have other movie I'd consider as that) but still a solid and entertaining film. I don't think it needed 3D, but maybe that was my theater and how they projected it. I had no issue with the plot as it was still an enjoyable story with good acting and great visuals. So, I'd say it deserves is.

Oh, and I have to post this...

Untitled.png

Haha ^ .

I've never seen it as well.
I guess I shall go watch it sometime.

Thanks.

It was good. Maybe not the best (I have other movie I'd consider as that) but still a solid and entertaining film. I don't think it needed 3D, but maybe that was my theater and how they projected it. I had no issue with the plot as it was still an enjoyable story with good acting and great visuals. So, I'd say it deserves is.

Oh, and I have to post this...

Untitled.png

Was it an IMAX theater?

I saw Avatar at one of those, and it looked amazing.

I guess Avatar has okay it'll probably win the Oscar for special effects but there is no way it'll win for best picture though.

Was it an IMAX theater?

I saw Avatar at one of those, and it looked amazing.

nope, standard theater.

I'd personally say Sherlock Holmes ought to get the Oscar, but then again I haven't seen Iron Man 2 or Last Airbender yet... though my hopes for that movie are low.

I really need to see Avatar, since I've heard that she is... uhhh...

I've heard many good things about it (though that the plot is predictably mediocre). It looks gorgeous and is probably worth seeing at least once.

Though I'm not sure if it's the kind of film you should keep going back to the theater to see. It's really long and I don't have that kind of time most of the time...

Anyone who hasn't seen Avatar should go and see it. A Movie that has been No 1 since it's release in December must say something about itself. Myself I have already seen it twice and I want to see it again. However I haven't been able to watch the 3-D version yet but I plan to. I totally recommend watching it.

Ugh. Stomach churning crappy Mighty Whitey plot featuring blue sex kittens.

People seem to have issues with familiar plots. They don't enjoy movies like they used to.

Or, y'know...some of us just didn't feel like it was that great a movie.

There isn't anything "wrong" with people who don't like Avatar.

Oh, I understand that. Everyone has their opinions. But the main criticism I've heard is against the plot and how overused it is. And while I agree that it is pretty much a fusion of Pocahontas and Ferngully, the plot is still enjoyable and flows pretty well. But hey, that's my take on it. If people want to over-analyze a movie instead of just watch it, be my guest.

At the same time, though, I shouldn't have to turn my brain off to enjoy the movie. You don't have to dissect the movie to be bothered by its flaws.

Okay, I'll give you points for that. I guess it just comes down to what makes a movie for you. Plot, visuals, acting or a combination of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom