• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'Avatar' is No. 1 film of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titanic, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Avatar is the #1 movie of all time. OF ALL TIME!

... what? Somebody had to say it.

Yeah, also haven't seen it. Was hoping to see it this weekend, but apparently we're set to get slammed by a huge snowstorm this weekend.

I really need to see Avatar, since I've heard that she is... uhhh...

I've heard many good things about it (though that the plot is predictably mediocre). It looks gorgeous and is probably worth seeing at least once.

Though I'm not sure if it's the kind of film you should keep going back to the theater to see. It's really long and I don't have that kind of time most of the time...

In my opinion, it's not one of those movies.

What I was really amazed by was the visuals, not the plot. I wouldn't pay just to see that again.

Titanic, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Avatar is the #1 movie of all time. OF ALL TIME!

... what? Somebody had to say it.

Yeah, also haven't seen it. Was hoping to see it this weekend, but apparently we're set to get slammed by a huge snowstorm this weekend.

I already said it.

I've heard many good things about it (though that the plot is predictably mediocre).

A mediocre plot does not mean it's a bad story, though. Nor does a twisting plot mean it's a good story. Just look at Dan Brown; he has interesting plots, but he can't write worth a damn. Avatar was definitely more about the visual spectacle than the storytelling, but that doesn't mean they ignored the plot altogether. And the story did avoid one annoying pitfall I expected from it: the scientists weren't evil. They didn't act like soulless bastards, they acted like, you know, scientists. That was pretty refreshing in and of itself.

Yeah, I know that predictability isn't always a bad thing - as long as it keeps you interested. Probably should have clarified, my bad.

But if you know what happens and there's nothing hidden, there's really no point in seeing it again even if the visuals are gorgeous. If you know everything that happens, that's that.

Hope to go see it soon, since I've been meaning to for a while.

My problem with this is mostly it may further validate CG as a primary film medium. I don't like that because you just can't replace good human acting.

Ugh. Stomach churning crappy Mighty Whitey plot featuring blue sex kittens.

This. No one's pointed out it's a typical white guilt "let's save those poor noble savages" fantasy.

I still want to see it in 3d, for the visuals, but I really wish filmmakers would stop making crap where a white guy saves the day.

This. No one's pointed out it's a typical white guilt "let's save those poor noble savages" fantasy.

I still want to see it in 3d, for the visuals, but I really wish filmmakers would stop making crap where a white guy saves the day.

well, when you consider the audience and the filmmakers and the producers and the fact the white guy finishes the movie as a blue guy, it really isn't that bad.
But if you know what happens and there's nothing hidden, there's really no point in seeing it again even if the visuals are gorgeous. If you know everything that happens, that's that.

If you've already seen it, you SHOULD know what happens. I saw it twice. I still enjoyed it.

Race has nothing to do with it. You'd rather see movies where nobody saves the day?

^ This. There's nothing wrong with a white person saving the day.

I agree. I don't recall anyone complaining about Star Wars, Harry Potter, Erag- no wait, we complained but for different reasons.

I can see why people find it distasteful. I also think they're reading too much into it. It's pretty and I like it and I highly approve of it being the most successful movie ever.

Did anyone else come out of it with the overwhelming desire to become blue?

That is a matter of opinion. I thought it was beautiful.

A month later, I still want to be blue.

The only good thing was the whole "FUCK YOU AMERICANS!!!111!!" subtext. Good message.

Saw it three times, though not having it on my dime helped. The only reason I'd say it did so well is because the 'experience' is what keeps you coming back for more. It didn't matter how jarring the plot was, the exposition is what constantly drew out the crowds.

For anyone who saw the 3D, it was truly different. Maybe a few parts had the uncanny, gimmicky in-your-face 3D, but a good part of the movie really does draw you in like Cameron wanted. You are immersed visually. You are there. The audience knows that they won't get this when it goes to DVD. That's why people came back and why it made so much money. It's the only reason why I was willing to watch it over again, something I don't recall ever doing before Avatar.

The only good thing was the whole "FUCK YOU AMERICANS!!!111!!" subtext. Good message.

It really wasn't a "Fuck you Americans!" subtext as much as it was criticizing societies that have taken over other cultures, especially for material possessions. You might see that as being directed toward Americans, but you could also apply it to the British, the French, the Spanish, and any culture that conquers another.

A common misconception is that the humans on Pandora were American marines. That's partial correct. However, they were actually mercenaries hired by the company, which is a big difference. The only reason they had not attacked before was for fear of backlash from investors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom