• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'Avatar' is No. 1 film of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, "Fuck you capitalism!" and I saw it as more "Fuck you America" because it was so so sooo similar to the treatment of the Native Americans.

I loved it, but my friends didn't. I think the special effects are superb!

So basically some furry's fantasy has sunk a giant boat?

All the more reason to start a kitty genocide, then.

Avatar was a great movie. The plot may have been subpar, but it showed us what can truly be done with our technology. they created an entire very different from our own and it looked great.

The daytime visuals were terrible. The nighttime visuals looked like Pandora was turned into a rave.

It was pretty and that's it. I'm surprised it managed to rip off THREE Miyazaki movies and still be such crap. Seriously, after the first minute I knew exactly what was gonna happen.

It was pretty and that's it. I'm surprised it managed to rip off THREE Miyazaki movies and still be such crap. Seriously, after the first minute I knew exactly what was gonna happen.

Is there anything wrong with just being pretty? I mean honestly, not every movie has to have an in-depth plot. if you're looking for one of those, go watch the dark knight...

Is there anything wrong with just being pretty?

When what beneath is shallow; yes.

Is it the case in Avatar? Well... perhaps not as blatant, but when most critics agree that the movie "looks amazing" but is "otherwise mediocre", you can see where the most effort went, even if there was some work put in elsewhere.

Take video games for example... a recent one, Final Fantasy XIII. Is amazingly done visually, but under those visuals is an immensely shallow game that does the bare minimum it has to to even be a game.

When what beneath is shallow; yes.

Is it the case in Avatar? Well... perhaps not as blatant, but when most critics agree that the movie "looks amazing" but is "otherwise mediocre", you can see where the most effort went, even if there was some work put in elsewhere.

Take video games for example... a recent one, Final Fantasy XIII. Is amazingly done visually, but under those visuals is an immensely shallow game that does the bare minimum it has to to even be a game.

Here's the thing: story in a movie isn't equivalent to gameplay in a video game. While I acknowledge that Avatar had a shallow plot, that hardly constitutes saying it did the bare minimum to be a movie (if i'm understanding your FFXIII parallel correctly).

Here's the thing: story in a movie isn't equivalent to gameplay in a video game. While I acknowledge that Avatar had a shallow plot, that hardly constitutes saying it did the bare minimum to be a movie (if i'm understanding your FFXIII parallel correctly).

Actually, I was more just saying prettiness tends to lead to shallowness elsewhere in a medium. I wasn't comparing game gameplay to film story exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom