• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Avengers, Assemble!

ShinyFlareon

bowtie coconut birb
Reaction score
So if you can't tell, this is a theme team, based on the Avengers. Oh, the ideas my brain gets late at night. It's definitely a work in progress, though.

175px-628Braviary.png

Captain America
Braviary@Choice Band
Adamant nature
Keen Eye
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-- Brave Bird
-- Superpower
-- U-Turn
-- Return

As if there could be any other pokemon to represent Captain America. The strategy for this thing is simple: Brave Bird everything in the face until it dies, and if Brave Bird won't do enough, use another move. I've seen this thing rip through teams before, and I think it fits in perfectly with the theme.

darmanitan-standard.jpg

The Incredible Hulk
Darmanitan@Choice Scarf
Jolly nature
Sheer Force
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-- Flare Blitz
-- Earthquake
-- Rock Slide
-- U-turn

I thought about using Machamp here, since it fits better with the theme, but since I added Hitmontop I realized two things: it probably wasn't smart to have two pure-fighting types on a team, and I could really use a Choice Scarfer. Darmanitan seemed like an obvious choice - there's no doubt he smashes stuff pretty good. Rock Slide over Superpower because it's powered up by Sheer Force and doesn't have an attack and defense drop to go with it.

625Bisharp.png

Iron Man
Bisharp@Leftovers
Adamant nature
Defiant
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-- Stealth Rock
-- Thunder Wave
-- Iron Head
-- Night Slash

Scizor would honestly work better thematically, but since this is looking like a UU team, Bisharp will do. I'm thinking of trying a more gimmicky set, but I'm not sure how well it would work. I need a Stealth Rocker, and Thunder Wave and Iron head form a pseudo-paraflinch combo. Thunder Wave also sets up status so the rest of my team has an easier time dealing with opponents. Night Slash for STAB and crits, and max attack to finish stuff off after it's paralyzed.

250px-Zapdos.png

Thor
Zapdos@Leftovers
Calm
248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
-- Heat Wave
-- Thunderbolt
-- Roar
-- Roost

I was hesitant about adding in another Stealth Rock weakness and was going to actually pick Raikou, but I think Zapdos fits the team dynamic a little better. I needed something that could check special threats, since many of these guys are pretty offensive. Roar over HP Grass for phasing purposes, but otherwise pretty straightforward.

175px-237Hitmontop.png

Hawkeye
Hitmontop@Leftovers
Impish
Intimidate
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-- Rapid Spin
-- Foresight
-- Low Kick
-- Sucker Punch

Here's the part where I run into a little trouble keeping with the theme. Foresight helps to keep that intact as well as letting me deal with Ghost types, and since I've got Zapdos, Darmanitan, and Braviary, Rapid Spin and a Rock resist is a must. Low Kick over Close Combat because as the only relatively defensive thing on this team (physically, anyway), defense drops aren't so great.

roserade.jpg

Black Widow
Roserade@Black Sludge
Calm
Natural Cure
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
-- Spikes
-- Toxic
-- Aromatherapy
-- Giga Drain

Oh, how I wish I could make Ariados work. Galvantula, even - but I already have an electric type. So Roserade will have to get the job done. In addition to absorbing Toxic Spikes, it can set up Spikes of its own and poison any opponents who would be better off Toxic'd than paralyzed. Aromatherapy also helps to give the rest of the team another chance to do damage. Giga Drain for recovery and a good STAB.​

Last edited:
Ha, this looks like a pretty cool team. I certainly love the theme, of which I will see the movie if it's the last thing I do. XD

I hope Captain America is used solely for smashing walls and paralyzed Pokes, because base 80 Speed is kinda slow. This thing looks like it definitely appreciates Iron Man's Thunder Wave support.

As for Iron Man, I don't really see why you need max Speed, since that thing's kinda slow, anyway. Face it, 262 Speed is underwhelming. Besides, once the target's paralyzed (losing a whopping 75% of its Speed), it won't matter much, anyway. I'd suggest some investment in Attack, so you can use less Iron Heads to kill an opponent (and not rely so much on flinch hax without Serene Grace).

Also, I should point out: Sleep Powder and Spikes together on Roserade is illegal.

I might have more to say later.

As for Iron Man, I don't really see why you need max Speed, since that thing's kinda slow, anyway. Face it, 262 Speed is underwhelming. Besides, once the target's paralyzed (losing a whopping 75% of its Speed), it won't matter much, anyway. I'd suggest some investment in Attack, so you can use less Iron Heads to kill an opponent (and not rely so much on flinch hax without Serene Grace).

So do you think I should shift those speed EVs into Attack and go for an Adamant nature, or should I just shift them and keep the Jolly nature?

Also, I should point out: Sleep Powder and Spikes together on Roserade is illegal.

Is it? Crap :-/ Might replace Sleep Powder with Toxic or Sludge Bomb, then.

It's probably a good idea to see how 252 Attack with Adamant performs. And as for replacing Sleep Powder, Toxic sounds like a cool idea, but if you want to spread more paralysis around, Stun Spore's also a viable choice (since it's legal with Spikes). Alternatively, if you really want to keep Sleep Powder, you could switch Spikes with Toxic Spikes.

Max Attack Adamant it is for Iron Man, then.

I'll probably go with Toxic. It'll be nice to have some other form of status besides Paralysis if I really need it.

Now I am no expert but when It comes to Darmanitan. Definately Use A Life Orb or Choice Band. Life orbs recoil will not happen if your move is effected by Sheer force so you would only take recoil from Flare Blitz. Choice is for the Extra power. Darmanitan One Shots everything with it on. Just my opinion though.

The Choice Scarf grants Darmanitan the Speed to kill more Pokemon that would otherwise maim/destroy Darmanitan before it could do anything. It certainly has the Attack to do the killing. XD

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom