• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Avengers film discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrnMarvl14

Lying
Reaction score
Always surprised people don't start thread to discuss more movies...so I guess I'll kick things off.

Saw the Avengers today. Loved it. Rivals X-Men: First Class for my favorite comic book movie. Was an awesome film that did a great job of weaving the stories to-date together and gluing them together with humor in such a way that it worked surprisingly well. From Loki's arrival through the Cosmic Cube (I'm not calling it the Tesseract...not now that we have HIM in these films) to the post-credits scene it was a fantastic film. Lots of action, lots of plot, real growth for the characters (Iron Man's a tad less selfish, Banner seems ready to view the Hulk as less of a destructive menace, and Captain America and Thor have discovered allies in modern times, while Black Widow and Hawkeye showed they could hold their own with the superpowered), lots of humor, and quite a bit of potential for the future of these films. Personally, I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

What I didn't like:

1. Not enough Maria Hill. She just felt...there. Not really integral to the plot...at all. I assume they're setting her up for more in the future, but she just seemed to...exist here. Considering she was one of the characters they were putting posters, it's a shame she had as little impact on the story as she did.
2. The Chitauri. Just give me the Skrulls. The only forgiving aspect is that they were clearly there to just be an enemy, and not really an enemy of consequence.
3. The pivotal scene that drove the individual heroes together. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. It's too much like a similar scene from Whedon's Serenity, and felt forced.
4. Not enough Hawkeye. But I think I'd need a Hawkeye movie to be truly happy.

What I liked:

1. Trick arrows. They did them. They looked cool. It worked.
2. The inter-credits scene, showing Loki's master...one of my absolute favorite villains. And the fact that he looked amazing and still close to how he appears in the comics. And "courting death" was an absolute brilliant choice of words.
3. The team dynamic. They worked. They felt like an actual team without it feeling forced or lopsided. Everyone pulled their weight when they finally came together. There are clearly still conflicts, but things worked.
4. The post-credits scene. Was the last one in the theater, lights had gone on and the theater staff were cleaning up...and I almost laughed my ass off.
5. Hawkeye. Minus the "enslaved by Loki" bit, he was great. Plus, again...trick arrows. I'm a sucker for them, and I loved seeing the quiver work as a practical tool for getting the arrowheads on the shafts.
6. Black Widow. The Black Widow/Loki scene. Until the end of it, I had no idea it was going that direction, and figured it was just crappy writing. That ending was perfect. The Black Widow/Hulk fight. Short, but great. And Black Widow used her widow's bite! They never said what it was, admittedly, but it was clearly there and a very nice touch.
7. Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. Didn't think I'd like him in the role, but he was great. So many nice touches that he managed to pull off quite well (how he'd turn away from bigger guys). And the "that's my secret: I'm always angry" line was one of my favorites.
8. Stark and Banner doing the smart guy thing. It was nice to see them around each other and actually being scientists first. Not something often seen in the comics, and not something I expected for the film.

Despite nearly missing the movie, being in a crowded, somewhat loud theater, and having the film burn two hours into the two-and-a-half hour film...it's hard for me to find something really wrong with this film. But, hey, I'm openly biased. What does everyone else think? Like it? Love it? Hate it? Thought it was about British spies?

I'd give it a 9/10 too. your're right about the dynamic between the heroes. really worked well.

you pretty much listed the things that i liked as well.

i didn't watch Thor, but i liked Loki as the villain, (liked the shot of the avengers over him with hawkeye aiming), also liked the scene with the avengers arguing.

personally i think there was tad bit too much humor in this film (just a few moments) for me. but overall the funny parts were funny.

the movie was just awesome, and i'll gladly watch it again. and as for the sequel, i have no words. i can only expect more, and i can't wait to see how the avengers pull through.

"i'm always angry"

It was Fantastic movie. Thor didn't really kick that much ass and I completely forgot about the Hulk Thor fight so I didn't understand why Hulk Punch him in the final fight.

Phil seemed to be the only choice to kill and Joss always kills people so it was coming.

There seemed to be little point to Black Widow. I don't read comics but it feels like she was just there for Wheadon.

The arguing was great and everyone was beleivable.

The post production 3d seemed unneeded but it worked well

It was awesome. I especially liked the scene in the Stark tower, where Loki begins ranting to the Hulk how superior he is, and how he's a god, and then Hulk just grabs him, smashes him around, walks away, "Puny god" and then Loki groaning. Amazing!

I'm tempted to quote Grn's entire post and answer with this because that's pretty much exactly how I felt. It was epic, it was awesome, it was hilarious, action-packed, whedonesque and just a great superhero movie. I disagree that the thing that gets the heroes together was forced and uninteresting, I actually thought it was really unexpected and something that actually made sense with, that it was the one thing they would need and it works specifically because of who was involved. Joss Whedon's strength is characters and he just delivered in this one. I thought I would hate Black Widow in this, but she was awesome, from start to finish and her scene with Loki was just really good. The movie was kinda uneven, focusing more on Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Widow, and I could have used a bit more from Captain America and Hawkeye, but I just loved everything about it. The dialogues were great and the movie just looked amazing.

Just... awesome.

100000/10

Fucking epic, and thats it.

This film has really delivered the goods. The story, the action pace, the humor, everything! I was shocked and awed when Thanos showed up in the in-between ending credits. This makes me believe the next Marvel films may have to do with the Infinity Gauntlet.

when Loki and Stark were talking, and Loki tried to subdue Stark with the scepter, why didn't Loki just stab him?

Oh no spoilers!
Hulk_SMASH_by_el_grimlock.jpg

HULK SMASH!

The movie was amazing. The scene where The Other was talking to Thanos after the credits was... WOW. That made me sooooo excited lol

Also, when The Hulk ran up to Stark Tower and beat Loki to a pulp was fantastic :D

Best Marvel film so far, and I can't wait for Iron Man 3, and the next Avengers!!!!

I loved it. I don't know how Whedon did it, but somehow, somehow, he got me to give a shit about the Hulk. That deserves props.

As I anticipated, RDJ utterly stole the show as Stark. Of all the casting choices, I really think his was the most fitting.

Didn't expect Thanos at the end, but then I suppose he's one of the few intergalactic threats Marvel has that aren't the Skrulls or Galactus. Maybe Nebula will show up in the inevitable sequel?

Saw it today.

My favourite line was:

Captain America:- And Hulk

Hulk:- ...

Captain America:- Smash

Hulk: >:)

I saw the film yesterday, and it was by far, the best movie I have watched in theatres(I've watched like 20 in my almsot 19 years of life, being frugal as I am). It was amazing! AND NEEDS MORE HAWKEYE /Fangirlswoon It was his occupation as a archer, SO COOL <3 Okay, fangirling aside, I went in thinking it would be srs bns and saving the world and all. But the humor! It was so funny XD And I agree, I never really cared about the Hulk til this movie. As soon as I get my paycheck, I'm taking my two sisters to watch it... So I can watch it again >.> It was that good for me lol. All the characters were so amusing, and the action was good. Overall 10/10 for me!

Just saw the movie today and... well, what can I say? The movie definitely lived up to the hype. I think I can safely say I loved everythng about it: the action, the humor, the character interaction... all that blended together to make the best Marvel movie.

I seriously can't remember the last time I felt my skin tingling watching a movie.

I loved it.

I think the greatest accomplishment of the movie was making me like the Hulk. I've never liked Hulk. In this movie, he was one of my favorite characters, and I felt like he had some great lines, such as the "I'm always angry" and "The other guy spit the bullet out" lines. I thought the heroes were great, and didn't fight for the spotlight. I liked the friction, the action, the humor, and the entire movie in general.

I wish that Hawkeye hadn't been under Loki's control for the length of time during the movie that he was, but I felt like his arrowheads and quiver-tech really made up for it, though I would've liked a little more focus on him. Stark was great, though I think that Thor could've gotten a little more attention, especially due to the fact that Loki was the big bad.

All in all, I thought it was great.

Beyond a doubt the best comic book movie ever. I saw it twice. This movie really didn't have much wrong with it. I've never really gotten to know Maria Hill so I didn't miss out on that, and the scene forcing the team to get together felt forced because it was. It was a setup by Fury. I think that was exactly what he wanted. He appealed to each of the characters' emotions and feelings regarding person X and used it to make them a team. I liked that.

I'd give it a 10/10. The movie overall is great, but the last battle is just awesome.

Great cinematography too. That oner... whoo!

I'm probably the only person who didn't like the movie.

In my opinion the movie went by really slow. I think it would have been a lot better if it was about an hour shorter. Every time I thought they were gonna save the world, something else would come up and delay them. The best part was the final fight scene, but even that seemed to drag on for a bit too long.

But I'm probably not one to talk since I've never really been a big fan of superhero moves.

Saw it yesterday, really liked it.

This is what movies are about in its purest form. Stuff that makes you go "ooh, ah" and maybe "whoa". Engrossing you throughout and leaving you with a smile and a sense of triumph alongside the protagonists. Movies can be a lot more than nicely-packaged slam-bangers like this one is at its core, but you know, that's hard. The Avengers isn't a thought-provoking character study with a provocative atmosphere of true art and beauty, but it's a good movie, plain and simple.

So yeah, I liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom