• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Awesome Spinoffs That Will Never Happen

Jersey Jimmy

sell ecstacy at dragoncon!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Have you ever had an idea for a Pokemon game outside the main series? I'm sure we all have at least once. Was that idea so blatantly ridiculous and unrealistic that there's no possible way it could ever happen? Post it in this thread.

For one, I had this idea for a third-person shooter called "Bird of Prey: Scorched Earth". It'd feature Winona as a secret agent under the codename... well, Bird of Prey, investigating the cause of a worldwide drought that is believed to be man-made. Flannery, Wallace, and my OC (sorry, sorry...) also have major roles, and in co-op the second player does indeed play as Wallace under the codename "Serpent".

Well, Pokémon Conquest exists, so I don't think anything is too far.

That being said, Pokélympics is something that I want. It'll be a multi-sport game (a bit like Wii Sport, but more diverse) only that you use Pokémon to perform the sports, with each Pokémon doing a particular sport that they will be good in (Hitmonchan is boxing, Spoink is long jump, and so on and so forth).

It's a silly idea, but why not.

I would absolutely love a Pokemon/animal crossing spinoff. The Pokemon would be so cute with the big-headed AC design. And there wouldn't need to be multiple neighbors of the same species. Each Pokemon could be unique, and then from there the AC personality system would just go in play.

I would really like another Stadium/Colosseum/XD/PBR type of game with a different RPG storyline. I've been waiting for one since PBR came out as it didn't have a story mode... but alas. I'm posting it in this thread as that I have a strong feeling we won't be seeing such a game again, as the main series games are slowly approaching that level in terms of stronger storytelling, 3D graphics, and so on. Whatever the NX is supposed to be, I have a tiny voice in my head telling me that we may be seeing Colosseum/XD type of 3D graphics in either Gen 7 or 8. That's just a maybe though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pokemon x Animal Crossing

It'd be amazing.

Catch bug and fish Pokemon, decorate PokeHouses, make friends with Pokemon. It could be explained away as a trainer falls into a deep sleep and finds them self dreaming of a village with Pokemon neighbors that talk.

Pokemon x Kingdom Hearts (because this really will never happen. Well, Dream Eaters happened, but that doesn't count.)

Pokemon x the Elder Scrolls (wide-open world, quests, that sort of thing.)

I would absolutely enjoy a Pokemon game from the point of view of the Gym Leader. How he arrives to the town/city, how he settles in his new gym, how he talks to the previous Gym Leader, who wishes him good luck, and of course, how he travels around the place solving tasks for some of his acquaintances. He would also go to other towns for certain missions, but mainly stay in his own City, solving inside business. It would have to be a City rather than a town, to entertain the player longer. He would also get to meet other gym leaders and maybe have a reunion with the E4, Champion, etc.

Pokemon x Kingdom Hearts (because this really will never happen. Well, Dream Eaters happened, but that doesn't count.)

Pokemon x the Elder Scrolls (wide-open world, quests, that sort of thing.)

That handle is suddenly feeling familiar...

Anyway, I'd like to see a Pokemon-themed Bemani game, and a Dragon-quest like RPG where the pokemon can take on various classes

I want a game where you play as a superhero. You'd still use any Pokemon you'd like, but you would also choose your own identity, outfit, color scheme, etc.

Since Soaring was introduced in OR/AS, I had an idea of a game that involves flying on a Pokemon to explore various locations (like an ice-themed area, a volcano-themed area or a ghost-themed area).

I would absolutely enjoy a Pokemon game from the point of view of the Gym Leader. How he arrives to the town/city, how he settles in his new gym, how he talks to the previous Gym Leader, who wishes him good luck, and of course, how he travels around the place solving tasks for some of his acquaintances. He would also go to other towns for certain missions, but mainly stay in his own City, solving inside business. It would have to be a City rather than a town, to entertain the player longer. He would also get to meet other gym leaders and maybe have a reunion with the E4, Champion, etc.

Actually, this would be amazing as a traditional sports game, like 2K's MyCareer mode. You could create your own character or control an existing gym leader, and not only battle challengers but do stuff like renovate your gym, get sponsors and do other activities (maybe as mini-games), and take on actual crises as things like opportunities in The Sims 3. For that last one, let's say you're playing through MyCareer as Flannery. All's well and good, you've beaten around a dozen challengers and have taken up a skateboarding career on the side. Suddenly, Mt. Chimney erupts, and you're entrusted with stopping the lava flow before it can hit Lavaridge. You do, and you get a gigantic cash reward and your fame skyrockets. To balance it out, these would only happen around once a year in game time.

pokemon power rangers.(considering all the animal based rangers...)
a pokemon anime that's imilar to DBZ than the original (I have ideas that I've been using for this one since I was 10, so it's kind of a huge fanfiction by this point)
tony hawk's project pokemon (got the idea from an april fools article on bulbanews, but loved it anyway)
a game where all the regions appear, EVERY major canon character(including the ranger games and coliseum/XD) and the protagonists ACTUALLY speak! (even red)
oh and lance gets a theme that isn't red's theme and the fathers of the protagonists appear.

Heh... I actually did have one idea...

Pokébowling- bowling with Pokémon. Basically, instead of bowling balls, you roll Poké Balls, and the Pokémon comes out and uses an attack on the pins. And you're playing against someone else, be it another player or a CPU. You can roll two Poké Balls per frame, and you can choose to roll them down your lane or your opponent's. Basically, you could send a Skrelp down your alley to use Sludge Wave on your pins (widespread moves like Sludge Wave would hit a wider range of pins), or you could send a Mr. Mime down your opponent's alley to use Barrier on your opponent's pins, making them harder to knock down. You could even transfer Pokémon in from the main games for use in this. You have, as in the main games, a team of six Pokémon for use. Now, you can also target opposing Pokémon with attacks, but unless you can OHKO them or inflict a debilitating status like confusion, paralysis, or sleep, you won't stop them from attacking. If a Pokémon is knocked out, it can't be used for the rest of the game. Here's a few examples of how certain moves work in this;

Fake Out: A solid attack that can hit many pins if you aim the Poké Ball right. If used on the opponent's Pokémon (assuming your turn is first), that Pokémon flinches (unless it has Shield Dust or Inner Focus- yes, Abilities factor into this as well), and cannot unleash its attack. Either way, this only works in the first frame.

Self-Destruct/Explosion: Guarantees you a strike, but the Pokémon faints after use, meaning it can't be used anymore in the game.

Final Gambit: Knocks down a number of pins proportionate to the percentage of HP it has left- 100% means a guaranteed strike, 90-99% means 9 pins go down, and so forth, but the Pokémon faints after use.

Parting Shot: The pins become easier to knock down. If used on the opposing Pokémon, it will have a harder time knocking pins down that frame. Either way, if it's the first Pokémon of that frame, you must use a different one for the rest of the frame (ordinarily you're allowed to use one Pokémon twice in the same frame if you so choose).

Volt Switch/U-turn: A basic attack that knocks pins down based on your aim, but if it's the first Pokémon of that frame, you must use a different one for the rest of the frame.

Swift/Feint Attack/Magnet Bomb/Clear Smog/etc. (you get the idea): Guaranteed to knock down at least three pins no matter how badly you aim the Poké Ball.

Vital Throw: Guaranteed to knock down at least five pins no matter how badly you aim the Poké Ball, but the move cannot be the first one you use in a frame.

Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock: In all subsequent frames, your pins are easier to knock down.

Sticky Web: In all subsequent frames, the targeted pins are harder to knock down. Intended for use on the opponent's pins.

Mean Look/Block/Spider Web/Fairy Lock: The opponent must use the same Pokémon for the duration of that frame, unless something like Volt Switch, U-turn, or Parting Shot is used.

Swords Dance/Nasty Plot/Growth (and so forth): During the next frame, this Pokémon hits the pins harder.

Barrier/Reflect/Light Screen: The targeted pins are harder to knock down that frame. Intended for use on the opponent's pins.

Teleport: The Pokémon will vanish and reappear in the middle of the pins, knocking at least some of them down from within. Works even if the ball is rolled into the gutter.

Splash: Ordinarily does nothing. Extremely rare chance that the vibrations from the flopping around will cause one pin to fall over. Not worth using seriously.

Thrash/Petal Dance/Outrage: The Pokémon violently attacks the pins for the entire frame (you can't use a second Pokémon that frame), but it becomes confused for the duration of the next frame.

Rage/Flail/Reversal: The move becomes more powerful the higher the opponent's score is than yours. If yours is the higher score, the move is hilariously weak.

Absorb/Mega Drain/Giga Drain: Almost never knocks pins over, but weakens them to make them easier to knock over.

Fury Attack/Fury Swipes/Double Slap (and so forth): Hits 2-5 times. Each hit guaranteed to take out two adjacent pins.

Double Hit/Double Kick/Gear Grind (and so forth): Hits twice. Each hit guaranteed to take out at least three adjacent pins (possibly more).

I could go on, but I don't want to make this post massive.

Pokemon Capture Squad.

A game that truely embodies the idea of 'Gotta Catch 'em All!' A group of people go on a journey to catch every single Pokemon in existence. This group would then be made out of a mix of influential past characters (a former evil team leader like Giovanni or Cyrus, a former Champion like Steven or Alder and a playable character like Ethan or Brendan) and new characters.

The weaker Pokemon would be easy to catch and can be caught in rapid succession to not let the large cast of weaker Pokemon take up the majority of the gameplay. Stronger Pokemon would then of course be more difficult with some of them having a bit of a fleshed out story and the focus would mostly be put upon the legendaries with all of them getting a story of their own (The major ones would of course be more important than the legendary trios and event Pokemon).

This would give an opportunity to truely let the capture part of Pokemon get the spotlight without having to trade for over half of them to even come close to completing the National Dex. I doubt this or something similar would ever happen but I would love it if it would.

tony hawk's project pokemon (got the idea from an april fools article on bulbanews, but loved it anyway)

Link to the article? I had this same exact idea in the form of Ash Ketchum's Pro Skater.

A Smash Bros game that has only Pokémon. Sure, we're getting Pokken Fighters, but I want a Pokémon fighting game that plays like Smash, not Tekken.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom