• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

B/W Interview

Reaction score
I found a rather interesting interview in a local gaming magazine with K.Sugimori&J.Masuda if you want to know what they said

K.Sugimori

picture.php

picture.php

#3 Can't take a photo of it as it sits dead center of page so can't post it here

J.Masuda

picture.php

Last edited:
I can barely read anything from the first picture only. Got any of those with better quality?

I remembered that there's an interview by IGN (Struggling With Pokemon), which is an interview with Junichi Masuda. What I liked about it is that Masuda liked Tangela. Still, I am not sure if anyone would go there, considering how some of you reacted negatively to IGN.

Thanks for reading.

omg i'm afraid the strain on my eyes from trying to even TRY to read those has made me blind(er) (x)_(X) are you sure there is no way you can upload better quality pix?

I can read all of the first and most parts of the second, but after that.. O____O

Well, I don't know if Negaishipping will be typing any of these up, but I'm more than happy to type up the first (and what I can read of the second), if anyone would like me to give it a shot.

Interview #3 :
The Unova Pokemon brings the National Pokedex to well over 650. That’s *something I fail to read* so many animals there are in the real world (…) We asked Mr. Masuda how you can balance combat with so many conflicting types and move sets.
Masuda : If you compete with someone else, you have to pay attention to how much damage one move can do. We’ve a designated team of three who look at that battle balance and we have a (…) debug team who check if there is any Pokemon who is too strong. When there are championships going in Japan, I like to look at what Pokemon everyone is using. If one Pokemon is heavily used, that means the balance may not be good. Then, in the next game, we come up a new Pokemon to balance it out, in a way. It’s a rare (or nice ?) surprise to see that that Pokemon does so well with a particular move. That is surprising, but at the same time so many Pokemon already exist with so many combinations of moves, we cannot look at every single possibility. In that way, the players are free to come up with different strategies.

Masuda: "People say that when you play a videogame you only play on your own. But I wanted an experience where you play the videogame and you play with your friends. You have fun but you play together. You can battle together, trade with your friends, you can even go to the videogame store and may meet a stranger and find you're playing the same game together. I like players to have that new experience."

Sugimori: "Mr. Masuda mentioned how if someone is around you can play with them and I'd like people to enjoy that function. Also, because I design new characters I'd like people to find their own favourite Pokemon and name them whatever they want. I'd be honoured to know that players cherished that Pokemon, raised that Pokemon and, even after they complete the game, still carry on using that Pokemon."

Unfortunately I couldn't read most of the first little introductory paragraph and didn't want to risk it - I've lost my glasses - but that's what I could get of the first shot.

Last edited:
I think Masuda and Sugimori were thrown in a room with a bunch of reporters as Nintendo Power has an "Interview" with them as well on Black and White.

I'd be happy to scan it in if anyone is interested. ;)

I just love how Masuda-san's words in the first page make it seem like the ability to trade and battle with your friends was his brand new idea, and not, you know, something Tajiri-san invented when the games were just starting production.

This is sarcasm, btw. >.<

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom