• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Baby Kangaskan

Nekusagi

Badass office lady
Reaction score
Okay, I was watching one of the Pikachu's Winter Vacation shorts when I realized something.

Baby Kangaskan. Are they a pre-evo without their own 'Dex entry (since they're part of Kangaskan) or just very small Kangaskan with no real pre-evo (IE, they just happen)?

In the aforementioned episode, it's shown young Kangaskan ARE capable of leaving their mother's pouch (and being quite active and adorable outside of it). They're a different coloration, sound slightly higher pitched, and lack the horns, armor, etc that Kangaskan have.

So the question remains: are young Kangaskan pre-evos? And could there be a possibility of young Kangases eventually having their own dex entry?

Even after the creation of all these baby pokemon pre-evolutions, I always thought that baby kangaskhan was just that. A baby kangaskhan. We've seen at points in the anime that pokemon, when born, can just be very small but still the same pokemon.

I'm not talking about Mewtwo returns here...the baby Rhyhorns were fine but the baby Nidoqueens just should have never happened. D:

I'm thinking specifically of how we saw in one episode a flashback of Officer Jenny's Growlithe as a puppy. It was very tiny. I also think we've seen baby Meowth.

Since Kangaskhan has no evolution (yet lol), and it's such a large pokemon, it makes sense that when it's born it would be so small. It just has a lot of maturing to do.

I mean...can you imagine giving birth to something the size of an adult kangaskhan? Now is where you point out that pokemon lay eggs, but since it has been stated that no one has actually SEEN a pokemon lay an egg, maybe some give live birth. It makes more sense that Kangaskhan would give birth in the manner of a real life kangaroo, rather than walking around with an egg in the pouch. (Kangaskhan, what are you doing? You are not a Chansey, you are not even pink, you are a Kangaskhan. You look so silly right now.)

I found it interesting that hatching a Kangaskhan results in the "mother" and the "baby." I'm thinking they are more of twins, one being bigger and feeling maturnal feelings tward the little one.

Well, it could be possible that Kangaskhan (including the baby) is one single entity that just so happens to be split into two.

Isn't it more likely that this is something the original designers forgot to accommodate for? Which, in itself is very surprising, especially considering how many babies they added in generation II, along with the hatching and egg stuff. Little Roo should've gotten a place in the 'dex then.

But Xianekui makes a very good point- that egg hatches two Pokemon. While they could've changed the original concept and made the baby appear in the pouch only in the generation I concept, they didn't, and so perhaps the fact that there's two pokemon coming from a Kangaskhan egg prevented them from doing much with it.

As it stands now, were we to have a Little Roo pokemon, if it evolved, it might be misinterpreted to, instead of becoming an adult and having a child, just have found a mother. Because there'd still be a Little Roo in the new sprite. It would be like reproducing upon evolution. o_O_o_O

Either the egg thing with two Pokemon in one egg or the sprite designers were too lazy. I recall a Master Quest episode where a mother Kangaskhan kept an egg in her pouch, which ended up getting lost or something to that effect.

The game engine wouldn't allow for a growing pokemon without making it another pokemon or form or something... Much less having Kangaskhan hold an egg with its proper sprite if it breeds and then the egg hatching into a little Kangaskhan that stays with its mother and then have it leave and grow up.

But it's sorta what would happen. The sprite shows the Kangaskhan with it's baby, but what hatched from it is actually the baby Kangaskhan.

Either the egg thing with two Pokemon in one egg or the sprite designers were too lazy. I recall a Master Quest episode where a mother Kangaskhan kept an egg in her pouch, which ended up getting lost or something to that effect.

I've said this in the thread where a guy mentioned how ridiculous it is for a 1000 lbs cat can come out of an egg and the one-tailed baby vulpix: Just because your imagination is broken, doesn't mean the game designers have to waste extra time programming another sprite for the same Pokemon.

Its just a baby Kangaskhan and nothing more (unless Gamefreak gets so annoyed at the fans making a big deal over this issue and actually make a "kangaskhid").

But atleast this thread wasn't "lol why are there two Kangaskhan when you hatch the egg in the games?" and you know, actually adresses a real issue. I doubt after two generations since breeding was introduced, that Game Freak is holding back the "original" baby Pokemon if it were different from its mother.

I've had an idea for a bit that if they were to introduce Kangaskhid or whatever, they would change the Kangaskhan sprite so that no baby was displayed. Similar to how the sprites for Mantine lost the Remoraid in DPPt.

I want to know why they deemed it fit for there to be no male Kangaskhan or at least a male counterpart. A species that's defined by motherhood, and there's no male to produce the goods that lead to parenthood in the first place? Sure, there are Ditto and other Pokémon in Kangaskhan's egg group, but... it's just kind of strange. Hell, most of the gender-exclusiveness in GSC was strange, when you think about it.

These rumours have been going round since Red and Blue, 10 years later, no Kangaskid (sorry, i'm not pronouncing Kid with a "h"in it). Seriously, if there was to be one, i'm sure they'd have done it by now.

Like Sven said, all because the pokemons sprite shows it a specific appearance, it doesn't mean they look like that from birth. I think the joey is just a baby Kangaskhan. I also think Pokemon like Tropius would be significantly smaller as babys.

If there are any anime watchers, if they saw when Ash and May's Squirtle met, May's Squirtle was about a foot smaller. May's Squirtle is new born, so it makes sense.

I kind of blabbered onto myself for a while there >.>

May's Eevee was pretty full sized though :/
It also learned Dig and Shadow Ball super-fast, so I'm convinced that thing was a freak of nature who produced far too many growth hormones. :D Or maybe the primary ingredient of Rare Candies.

But atleast this thread wasn't "lol why are there two Kangaskhan when you hatch the egg in the games?" and you know, actually adresses a real issue. I doubt after two generations since breeding was introduced, that Game Freak is holding back the "original" baby Pokemon if it were different from its mother.

That still freaks me out, to this day. I was also bothered by Mantine once upon a time hatching with Remoraid attached, but they finally addressed that in Diamond and Pearl.

It also learned Dig and Shadow Ball super-fast, so I'm convinced that thing was a freak of nature who produced far too many growth hormones. :D Or maybe the primary ingredient of Rare Candies.

It was in an egg, so probably an egg move. I'm more concerned about that Persian that knew Shadow Ball (the one who was the leader of Tyson's Meowth's clan)

Okay, I was watching one of the Pikachu's Winter Vacation shorts when I realized something.

Baby Kangaskan. Are they a pre-evo without their own 'Dex entry (since they're part of Kangaskan) or just very small Kangaskan with no real pre-evo (IE, they just happen)?

In the aforementioned episode, it's shown young Kangaskan ARE capable of leaving their mother's pouch (and being quite active and adorable outside of it). They're a different coloration, sound slightly higher pitched, and lack the horns, armor, etc that Kangaskan have.

So the question remains: are young Kangaskan pre-evos? And could there be a possibility of young Kangases eventually having their own dex entry?
I think it works the same as Happiny's egg. There was an entire episode dedicated to the way Happiny receives her egg, yet in the game it's just there. I think they safely assume we know how it happens, and of course, don't want to go through the trouble of including the information because it's a bit unnecessary.

Can you imagine if you're just walking in the game and it's like "Your Kanghaskan had a kid!" Or "Baby Happiny found it's rock!"

Lol, but I admit, seeing "Baby Kangaskan is now a big ass beast. Congratulation on your 2-for-1 Pokemon deal!" would be funny.

Last edited:

That's sort of what I figured after watching that episode.
Although I came upon the solution that baby Kangaskhans are just baby Kangaskhans and not pre-evolutions of Kangaskhans.

The only reason think that people think there should be a pre-evolution is because there thinking about this emotionally instead of logically.

The only reason think that people think there should be a pre-evolution is because there thinking about this emotionally instead of logically.
Yes because it takes emotion to think "pre-evo" you know, not the fact that there are noticable differences in appearance between mother and child, namely its eyes and its skin.

Oh wait, that was logic I just used wasn't it?

Yes because it takes emotion to think "pre-evo" you know, not the fact that there are noticable differences in appearance between mother and child, namely its eyes and its skin.

Oh wait, that was logic I just used wasn't it?

Ever hear "logic is blind".
Listen logically is about thinking about why the people who make the games did the certain things.
They probably didn't make a pre-evo because it would defy what had been said in the previous games.

Ever hear "logic is blind".
Listen logically is about thinking about why the people who make the games did the certain things.
They probably didn't make a pre-evo because it would defy what had been said in the previous games.

You mean like Ancient Power evolution for Lickylicky and Mamoswime, Umbreon and Espeon evolutions in XD, or future Pokedex entries for Charmander somewhat reversing the role of its tail flame from being the life source to an indicator of life?

Or do you mean the multiple dex entries that have for the first two generations only refered to the little Kangaskhan as the mother's infant, its young, its baby only to refer to it as a "Young Kangaskhan" in the third generation then reverting back to ambiguity in D/P?

It would certainly defy what's been said wouldn't it? After all, its not as if a Pichu couldn't evolve into a Pikachu and still be refered to as a "Young Pikachu" could it? The same could be said about Gen 3's "Young Kangaskhan"

Oh yeah and removing Shuckle's ability to make berry juice out of Berries (which in later generations would probably be the Oran) or Miltank's ability to produce MooMoo milk was so not defying what had been established, aswell as completely hauling over the IV and EV system making post Gen2 games incompatible with the earlier games. Oh yeah and changing the Type chart by actually changing some of the other type's effectiveness (adding new types didn't really defy what was established), changing Bite into a dark attack, changing the accuracy of Hypnosis from 60 to 70 in D/P then back to 60 in Platinum......

.....so what's that about defying what has been established?

Last edited:
Okay then...

1. Lickilicky and Mamoswine are cases of region specific incidences, they are possible because the region has a power to make those Pokemon evolve under those conditions.

2. Umbreon and Espeon can evolve because those shards produce a similar effect as being happy at day or night time. In fact, they could have just giving you a moon stone or a sun stone but they didn't. Why do you think that is?

3. It's a entry. They can alter them from region to region because all regions have different people making the pokedexes.

4. ... :confused: What? ... What, so, they have a big vocabulary? What's wrong with using words that all mean the same thing to call something?! Make sense next time you try and make a point!

5. I think you may have a point there, but if a baby Kangaskhan evolves into a Kangaskhan's baby then what's the point?

6. ... Wha- ... When did Shuckle exactly lose it's ability to make berry juice? In fact, when did Miltank lose it's ability to make moomoo milk? I know they don't talk about it a lot but that doesn't mean they can't do it any more.

7. That would be a good point except that it's not logical. I mean, it is logical by a video game view but in real life there are no values that determine how much a stat will improve after gaining a level. Plus, were not suppose to know about EVs and IVs so they can do what ever they want with the values.

8. The types could be changed easily back then because the type chart was so complicated that it didn't really make a lot of sense (at least not to me).

9. Accuracy is easily changed able since it can also change depending on region.

10. Oh yes. I'm so sorry for thinking that you couldn't have a baby Kangaskhan separate from it's mother because the game, Pokeballs and Pokedex consider them as one Pokemon. I know, next we'll separate the Exeggcute that will sure to be awesome. Man, sarcasm is hard.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom