• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Baby Pokemon

Sweet Potatos

Reaction score
What are the cons and pros for baby pokemon

I never understood the reason why you can chose to have a baby pokemon (I.E, you could chose to have a munchlax egg or a snorelax egg)

Other than for data reasons wouldn't snorelax be better to hatch, coz it will be stronger than the munchlax

I don't think there is much of reason, But i think If you breed for munchlax it can learn unique moves that Snorlax cannot learn, other than that i geuss its just there to show you that Some Poke'mon grow up, And i think baby Poke'mon were more key to the manga/anime, but had to be included into the game for clear reasons.

What are the cons and pros for baby pokemon

I never understood the reason why you can chose to have a baby pokemon (I.E, you could chose to have a munchlax egg or a snorelax egg)

Other than for data reasons wouldn't snorelax be better to hatch, coz it will be stronger than the munchlax

Some baby Pokémon may have moves exclusive to them that the evolved forms can greatly benefit from.

Wobbuffet for instance. One of the reasons why it is in Ubers is because Encore. Which it can only learn as a Wynaut. In order to have a competitive standard Wobbuffet, you need to hatch a Wynaut to have Encore on it.

No one has since Gen. 2.

It's Gotta See 'Em All!

I don't like the idea of "Gotta See 'Em All". It supports laziness.
I have to say my big bro legitly got (as in caught) 382 Pokemon on Ruby. Gotta See 'Em All is for Gen IV only.

To answer the OP, let's go with your Snorlax example. If you breed a Snorlax in Gen II or III, you will always get Snorlax. So it's impossible in Gen IV to just breed Snorlax and get a Munchlax instead. That's why there's a new item, Full Incense, that you have to give to Snorlax in order to breed Munchlax in Gen IV. So there, you have a choice.
Competitive battlers will rather breed Snorlax right away, while there are multiple reasons to breed Munchlax (like Pokedex filling, because it's cute, etc.)

I hope I'm clear.

Some baby Pokémon may have moves exclusive to them that the evolved forms can greatly benefit from.

Wobbuffet for instance. One of the reasons why it is in Ubers is because Encore. Which it can only learn as a Wynaut. In order to have a competitive standard Wobbuffet, you need to hatch a Wynaut to have Encore on it.

I'm sure i mentioned that with out the evidence :) atleast it means i wasn't wrong :)

No one has since Gen. 2.

It's Gotta See 'Em All!

I put all the necessary elbow grease to catch 'em all in Platinum. It's a 493, never been touched by an Action Replay. Even got legit legendaries from online trades, so nothing at all is hacked, so far as I can possibly know. n.n

- Tyros

What's the point of Dunsparce? And Bidoof? And Corsola? And Chatot?

Oh... it's to even out the power curve. :/

I put all the necessary elbow grease to catch 'em all in Platinum. It's a 493, never been touched by an Action Replay. Even got legit legendaries from online trades, so nothing at all is hacked, so far as I can possibly know. n.n

- Tyros

Yeah, it's really not that hard to catch em all now that online trading exists. It just takes some time and patience.

Well, I only got the data for eight legendary Pokemon with the online trading. Everything else was my own hard work. n.n

- Tyros

What's the point of Dunsparce? And Bidoof? And Corsola? And Chatot?

Oh... it's to even out the power curve. :/

Dunsparce is UU main parahaxer
Bidoof + Simple + curse = awesome
Corsola: I dont have a clue
Chatot: had to have some feature to use the mic. right ??

Why do babies exist... I think the egg move thing is the best part, as is the level-up moveset... Pichu can learn Nasty Plot, Pikachu and Raichu can't. Munchlax can learn Metronome, Snorlax can't unless it was from Gen I (where Metronome was learnable by TM35) or Gen III (where Metronome was a move tutor move). Plus c'mon. Zen Headbutt! Snorlax needs eight shards in Platinum for that, Munchlax can be bred it from a Slowbro.

As for why the incenses must be used for the new babies in III and IV? I blame Game Freak's need for consistency and HGSS's approach. The consistency comes in with you being able to breed Roselia and hatch Roselia in Gen III, but then having Budew in Gen IV. So to keep the consistency, we got the Rose Incense, and now the only reason you can't breed Budew in Gen III is because you couldn't give it to your Roselia. Same for the new stones. Only reason Roselia can't evolve in Gen III is because you couldn't get a Shiny Stone.

HGSS keeps the baby consistency issue somewhat as well, since you can breed Marill as soon as you get it, but if you have no Sea Incense, you get a Marill egg, not an Azurill egg. Just like in GSC. As for the inclusion of stuff like Lickilicky and Mamoswine (them specifically, actually), I think Game Freak noticed that they flubbed when they made their evolution moves be available to them in some way in Gen II/III, and so decided "eh screw it" and threw them in the Neo Johto Dex.

Plus, hey, evolution makes things more fun. It's why I rarely use non-evolvers and legendaries... it's more fun to see your Pokémon grow up.

39887f51a64e715f70028ae014a41504.png

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom