• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Background music of the show

Last edited:
Definitely the Original Series. It was nicely composed, and most of them were catchy and memorable.

My personal favorite
[video=youtube;PgueRxgnCt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgueRxgnCt4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Oh god that theme is so friggin awesome. Right in the childhood. I remember it being used for Ash's Charizard vs. Gary's Blastoise.

No question about it. The BGM of the original series brings back so many memories to me. Another pearl:

[video=youtube;ykAumdhjh2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykAumdhjh2s[/video]

My fondest memory of this BGM's use:

Ash: Pi...Pikachu.
Pikachu: Pika-pi.
Ash: *Eyes Swell Up* Pi-ka-chuuu!!!
Pikachu: Pikachu!
*Ash laughs hesistantly holding Pikachu, and then proceeds to cry...*

An apparant thing about BW was that past BGM was dis-used in favour of either or recent BGM from movies. Do you think XY will do the same thing? Do you hope it will or not?

Last edited:
I'd prefer listening to newer music than recycled music, and if the music is recycled, I hope that it least gets remixed.

I'd rather see old music used. Diamond and Pearl had notably very little in way of original music, but I didn't really mind since it used game music, movie music, and old series music to great effect. The series has such a great bank of music to draw from, so I won't be disappointed if there isn't much new music. On the whole, I thought Best Wishes' background music (including the anime versions of certain game tracks) was OK, but not as good as the music from the previous 3 series and movies. There's a lot of electric guitar in Best Wishes' BGM too. >_> The anime version of To Each Future was fantastic, though.

If X and Y uses mostly new music again, I'm afraid it'll just be 'OK' and not 'superb' like the music selection in the first 3 series was.

Hoping that old music makes a comeback, there's a wealth of amazing music that Pokemon has constructed over the years that I feel they should utilize. There are quite a few tracks I'm apathetic toward but I'd definitely like to see some tracks like Satoshi's DP Theme, Johto Trainer Battle and Watashi, Makenai! ~Haruka's Theme~ make a comeback. Good music ties a lot of scenes together well and it really helps a lot. For example, I definitely think some Lucario Movie music could have been well utilized when Ash took on Cameron's Lucario.

I'd like both old and new like what pre-BW series did - mostly new XY game music with the occasional BGM from previous series from time to time. Though I'm not holding my breath on that.

Sadly. I hope we have a mix of the XY BGM and prior sets (barring DP's Rocket Motto theme and most of BW's themes, only as we've heard them a lot recently).

I'd like to see the OS BGM make a return. :D

If they would bring back OS music.... dayum that would be fanservice, I would go crazy :p but yeah... I know they're not going to do that. I actually have this strong feeling they're going to come up with a wide BGM score that will feel fresh and modern.

If they would bring back OS music.... dayum that would be fanservice, I would go crazy :p but yeah... I know they're not going to do that. I actually have this strong feeling they're going to come up with a wide BGM score that will feel fresh and modern.

Same here. hahaha. I can dream, though. XD.

I'd like for them to emphasise original music and in-game music from XY, but throwing in some older songs for the sake of variation would be more than welcome too.

And maybe one day TCPi will realise that the original music is a lot better than theirs.

Advanced Generation.
I really dig the new BGM (that the american version didn't bother to use) they started using since then.
As much as the original series was part of my childhood, nostalgia's really got nothing on me...

I think it will, but I hope it doesn't.

I'm not saying I want them to have the older music in XY episodes be simply, like, the top fifteen used pieces of background music pre BW!. I'd rather that kind of thing not be the case. Like it was said before, there's a lot of music from the older series. Plenty from the original series, AG, D&P, and BW!, even without counting the music based off of the games. Throw in all the non-game music that's made for the movies of the first five gens- the mini movie music too. (And radio drama-exclusive BGM too...) Definitely over 200 tracks (I'm sure 200's low but I don't feel like giving a good estimate.) Not saying play every piece, but there's plenty to choose from. I'd hope that, for old music, they mainly use music that hasn't been played much throughout the series. It'd be more refreshing. I'd still like new XY game and non-game music to be made.

But I guess what's more reasonable is to use mainly BW! movie music, XY game music, and XY non-game music. I wouldn't mind that, although I'd still like for there to be older tracks, especially rarer-played ones from the different TV series and movies. If they do play tracks older than BW! (and also BW! tracks themselves), I'm sure they'll stick to the most commonly-played ones.

In any case, I hope Shinji Miyazaki is the one still making the BGM. Whatever they do, I hope the music in XY tends to be exciting (and I don't think a piece has to automatically be really dramatic to be exciting.)

From the music I've heard of the different series, original series (especially Kanto) for me.

It's my favorite partially from nostalgia, but also significantly because I felt that the original series had a lot of tracks that made episodes feel more adventurous/emotional than other sagas- Legend (and the alternate Legend track known as "1997-1998 M31B"- the version of the music I like the most) is one example. Another example is the Japanese orchestral music that played in the Japanese Lugia movie when Melody played her ocarina after Ash put the three orbs together. Also, the one called titled "1999-2001 M28" is some triumphant non-game based BGM from Johto that played around the climax of many Johto episodes. That one's... yeah, triumphant and exciting and all that. (I love how I'm talking about emotion but I'm using these officially revealed, yet boring titles. Not counting Legend.)

Those are just some of many examples. I think other series do have gems, like for AG, the Jirachi movie music that played (English version too) when the carnival was being set up. Had a mysterious/fantasy feel. AG is my second favorite, for Japanese music. And for D&P, there's pieces like the title movie music for the Shaymin movie.

My order's actually OS, AG, D&P, and BW! actually, but I do hope Shinji Miyazaki continues making music for the series.

The music from the original series is Miyazaki in top form. I'm really glad we've now got most of the made-for-TV material on CD, but then of course there's the fact that movies 2, 3, 4 and 5 suffer horribly from Unreleased Music Syndrome.

Original Soundtrack Best Volume 2 must not have sold well enough to merit a Volume 3, and that really makes me mad because a third volume almost definitely would have dipped into unreleased cues from the movies.

Probably not even necessary making a thread about this why in the Dub of the Pokemon anime the Background Music seems lower than in the Japanese version doesn't really matter just something I noticed.

I noticed that too, it's pretty annoying. I think TPCi does it just because they think the BGM is too noisy (there have been a really few scenes in Japanese where you can't hear very well what the characters say, but that's minimal), or it's a problem in the dubbing method they use. Most dubs based on the English version also lower the volume even more, so it could be related to that as well.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom