• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Background music of the show

I can't think of many other mainstream anime series where one has to wonder if a soundtrack is going to be released...

Maybe it's just me, but... =/

It does happen, though. As far as I know Dragon Ball GT never got a full soundtrack release, for example.
The only music used in GT that ever got released was the music that got carried over from The Path To Power movie which did get a full soundtrack. Heck even the 2010/2011 Pokemon CDs aren't complete. There's still like at least 5-10 pieces of music missing. 1 of which was released on the Sound Anime Collection years ago.

We're also missing most of the early Pikachu short music (like, for example, the entire soundtrack to "Pikachu's Summer Vacation") and large chunks of the soundtrack to the second and third movies.

Unreleased Background Music - Pocketmonsters.Net

poocketmonsters.net has a seemingly comprehensive list of unreleased music from the movies and the earlier anime series (basically everything which has already had a soundtrack release. The BW and XY series aren't included, I assume because it's still unknown if they'll get a soundtrack release) Most of the movies have unreleased music, which the apparent exceptions of 1, 13, 15 and 16)

It does happen, though. As far as I know Dragon Ball GT never got a full soundtrack release, for example.

I thought that even in Japan (not just Western countries) GT wasn't very well liked. (Sure it got DVD releases from the latter 2000s, but still...) If that is true, I assumed that it not getting a full soundtrack had something to do with that.

In any case, I don't think the different Megaman NT Warrior series in Japan (what a different name from "Rockman EXE") got BGM releases beyond one soundtrack (even with said soundtrack saying "01").

I thought Ash's 15+ year storyline for a really popular gaming franchise would keep the soundtracks of BGM coming out, but not only has Best Wishes! not really done this, I haven't heard anything about an XY anime BGM soundtrack coming soon either.

Last edited:
Am really interested in some specific BGM am sure its American, i think its a dubbed 4kids BGM of some kind, am not sure, the name is unknown to me but i remember them exactly, i know some of them appeared in many episodes:
Episode 13: Mystery at the Lighthouse, it starts when the Dragonair appears, the same music is in episode 129: Once in a Blue Moon when the quagsire start the ritual, same but i think the music is redone is in episode 271: The Ties That Bind, when Charizard arrives and Gary appears.
Episode 59: Volcanic Panic, music when Ash and Blaine are at the Volcano and Blaine starts to talk.
Next in episode 465: Gathering the Gang of Four!, the music when Charizard smells something and Brandon appears, and the music immediately after that.
Episode 466: Pace - the Final Frontier, music when Team Rocket sneaks, and Regirock and Registeel appears.
Episode 467: Once More With Reeling, music when May's Combusken starts to evolve, the same music is in that episode when Sceptile's Overgrow starts.

As i said i dont know the name, but am sure its 4kids dub BGM, i would be really grateful if somebody could help/tell me if they are released/unreleased or if they can be found somewhere.

A few dub tracks were played in Pokemon Puzzle League if you feel like listening to midi renditions of those.

If I remember correctly, on the Fanfare of the Heart single released in 2010 there were four BGM tracks from the Best Wishes series included-- Flight to Unova, Team Rocket's Unova motto, and Iris'/Cilan's themes (at least that's the names I found for them online). As far as I know that's the only Best Wishes music that's been officially released (excluding movie stuff and vocal songs, that is). If they were to do the same with XY, what four tracks would you want? My choices:

*Team Rocket's Kalos Motto
*Lumiose City
*AZ's theme (Terrible Past? The piece that plays when Serena cuts her hair)
*The new Pokemon Center remix

These four make up a pretty decent sampler of my favorites pieces from XY. It's a pretty nice balance of upbeat and melancholy songs.

Clemont's Theme (Route 4)
Got to Get It to Get It!
Ultimate Weapon
It's Been 3000 Years...

I can't think of four, but these two I definitely want to see released:

- Kalos Gym Theme
- Pokémon Gym Theme

It's a shame really that they never continued on Original Soundtrack Best...

Sir Jace said:
Clemont's Theme (Route 4)

That's actually already been released on the soundtrack to "The Cocoon of Destruction and Diancie" (Track 20, "Citron's Invention")

Well that was a 30 second rearrangement. Not exactly that satisfying. Same with Hawlucha's theme.

Though I'd prefer that EVERYTHING got released, my own personal 4 may be:

- Secret Super Training!
- Ash/Satoshi's Theme
- TR Motto
- Friend Battle

But like with that Best Wishes! release, 4 will never be enough.

As is known by now, I personally think music replacement still has a place in Pokemon. As I watch the original Japanese versions of Pokemon episodes as well as the films, I've come across many occasions where I've had one of three thoughts about dub music.

-A few times (such as the first movie), I thought the original soundtrack was better.

-Many times (such as the second movie, the second half of the third movie, the Diancie movie, and a few XY episodes), I thought the dub soundtrack was better.

-Most often (too many examples to list), I thought the dub soundtrack was just as good as the original.

It all had to do with how well it engrossed me in what was going on, which is the job of BGM in general. For the first listed item, it's because the original BGM engrossed me more (example: as good as this dub track for the storm scene was, it didn't engross me as much as the original track for that scene did.). For the second, the dub engrossed me more (example: the Japanese version of the third movie used a remix of the GSC Rival Encounter Theme for Brock's battle against Molly (sorry if there's any background noise in it; it's the best one I could find). It didn't engross me in the battle as much as this unique track the dub made and used). The third is a bit more special: either it engrossed me just as much as the original did, or it engrossed me in a different way that still worked to the episode's (or movie's) advantage. For that last part, my example is "Battling With Elegance and a Big Smile": DreamDream gave Fennekin's evolution into Braixen a "wow, that's so awesome" feeling, while the dub's music gave it an "aww, that's so sweet" feeling. As stated, to me, it all comes down to how well it works to the advantage of the show or movies.

Now, I step aside and open the floor.

Last edited:
NEVER! I don't care who's dubbing the show, the replacement score will always be inferior to the original, and has no place in this show. Honestly if those clowns can't have the decency to leave the music alone, they should just dub the series with no soundtrack at all, that way the fans that do have access to the original music can go in and plop the music onto the dub without any audio mixing problems. Simple answer is that the replacement score is not welcomed, and it needs to leave.

NEVER! I don't care who's dubbing the show, the replacement score will always be inferior to the original, and has no place in this show. Honestly if those clowns can't have the decency to leave the music alone, they should just dub the series with no soundtrack at all, that way the fans that do have access to the original music can go in and plop the music onto the dub without any audio mixing problems. Simple answer is that the replacement score is not welcomed, and it needs to leave.

Actually, that's your answer. I don't agree with you on it, but it always is good to hear from people about this subject.

I watch the Korean dub from time to time, which keeps all the soundtracks from the Japanese version. I have to say, Pokemon (the anime) is Pokemon (the franchise) when it is Pokemon (the game). What I mean is that since the anime is based on the games, many of the soundtracks are based on the game BGMs, which brings the whole franchise closely together.
Hearing the game music in the anime creates a friendly atmosphere and appeals to the game fans. I love all the gym music variations in the anime (I especially love the speedy battle-remix which always meant Ash is gonna win in the OS), and most town BGMs aren't just limited to towns - Snowbelle's theme was used in sad moments to make the whole scene a lot more heartbreaking.
The English dub, from what I heard, replaces music. I watched a few episodes on youtube and a lot of the game music is gone. It's just another cartoon instead of being Pokemon. There's no, "hey, this is AZ's theme!" or "Wow, never thought the Pokemon League theme would appear at this moment!". No familiar point outs.

I'm not saying that one music is superior to the other. It's just that Pokemon is Pokemon when it is Pokemon.

I've stated things similar to this in other threads, but I think part of how much it bothers you depends on whether you saw the series first using the original music or the replacements. If you're more familiar with the replaced version, you're probably not going to be bothered by it much, because the image you have formed in your head incorporated that. If you started with the original, it's harder to accept the altered version. Naturally this can change over time, but it seems like it has considerable influence over the starting position.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom