• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Background music of the show

In general: When 4Kids started off, their BGM was alright, but near the end it was horrible. TPCI started off horribly and is now alright. I think the 4Kids BGM is more dull and TPCI do seem to be remixing a few of their tracks in an effort to improve them, so I think I'll pick TPCI.

What I have noticed that I thought was a little funny though, while I was watching the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh (the 4Kids dub), I would notice a few seconds here and there that sounded exactly like some of the 4Kids tracks from Pokemon. I noticed one in particular that sounded like a part of the track "Three on Three" from the first Pokemon movie. Of course, the tune changed again after a few seconds, but I found it funny all the same.

What I have noticed that I thought was a little funny though, while I was watching the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh (the 4Kids dub), I would notice a few seconds here and there that sounded exactly like some of the 4Kids tracks from Pokemon. I noticed one in particular that sounded like a part of the track "Three on Three" from the first Pokemon movie. Of course, the tune changed again after a few seconds, but I found it funny all the same.

They used the "Pikachu and Caterpie conversation in the moonlight" tune in Winx Club. Isn't it great when people use recycling? :)

I like 4Kids music better. It doesn't sound as artifical as PUSA's music. However, when I compare episodes from 4Kids and PUSA, then it's evident that PUSA does a much better job of managing the music itself.

PUSA seems to try to be more like the original with the music, while 4Kids seems to want the opposite effect(and judging from their CEO and everything, it sorta figures).

I like 4Kids music better. It doesn't sound as artifical as PUSA's music. However, when I compare episodes from 4Kids and PUSA, then it's evident that PUSA does a much better job of managing the music itself.

PUSA seems to try to be more like the original with the music, while 4Kids seems to want the opposite effect(and judging from their CEO and everything, it sorta figures).

I'm sure you're aware of this already, but just in case, the music editors are the same. You're right though- under PUSA, the music editors seem to have a taken a new approach to editing the BGM.

I hope I don't get infraction points for re-posting this. However, since this is a BGM discussion thread, and people have already been referencing it, I figure I'll re-post my interview with John Loeffler just in case anyone wants to reference it in this thread. I copied this from the e-mail and don't have time to make it look pretty at the moment, so I apologize for the odd spacing of things.

> 1) In working on background music for the show what is the process for
> composing the music and then adding it to the video?

We either compose music directly to the picture, or we compose a "library of
> music" often several hours in length convering a variety of styles.
> This music is then edited by a music editor to the picture.
I meet with the producers of the show months in advance to
discuss the style and mood of the music based on many factors and then
compose various demos or examples until we all collectively agree upon
a dominant overall style for the series or film.
>
>
> 2) As for the theme songs, which theme song was your favorite to work
> on? What were your inspirations for composing these great tunes? Are
> you still working with David Rolfe?
>
> All popular themes become my
> favorite - like "Kate and Ali", the original "Pokemon", and the
> recent instrumental theme for "Poker After Dark". My inspiriation
> comes from understanding what the show needs - in other words,
> something warm, something funny, something provocative, etc. That is
> often a place to start. As for David Rolfe, after he moved from New
> York, I have not seen him or worked with him much.
>
> 3) A number have fans noticed that during end of Battle
> Frontier/Diamond and Pearl Season, the background music alternated
> every other episode between older dub music (used while 4Kids was >handling the show) and newer dub music. What was the meaning behind this >pattern?

>This is simply because my two music ediotrs have favorites. We are
>trying to slowly add more of the newer music to keep the show fresh
>and current.
>
>
> 4) Why was a whole new set of background music composed, instead of
> using the older dub background music? Also, the style of the music,
> while
> just as good, is quite different. Was there a reason for this
> change?
>
>Yes, I was asked by the Pokemon people to make the music a
> little "hipper" and more modern. Of course, then everyone began to >appreciate how timeless the original music is - so we are trying to > >combine styles a littlegoing forward.
>
>
> 5) Of the background music you composed, which is your favorite?
>
> i cannpt answer that question easily - as I have
> composed hundreds of tracks. But usually the latest things I write I
> like the best. ( Until I write something new)
>
> 6) Which song did you have the most fun working on for the 2BA Master
> CD? Do you ever plan to include one of these songs in the TV show
> again? We,older Pokemon fans, would love it!

> This was my favorite project
> by far. I loved writing those songs and I am very proud of them. It
> is sad because Icould be doing that every season but Pokemon does
> not want to spend the money on original songs beyond the theme. It
> is a lot of work for them to re-edit the shows around new songs -
> and I guess they are not that interested. Stiull, musically, it was
> a blast to write those songs and have them used after every show on
> Pikachu's Jukebox.

4Kids music, if only for nostalgic purposes and the tune (which I'm searching high and low for; can't find it anywhere) that plays when Charmeleon evolves, when Viktor and Puka are surfing the huge wave, and other parts of the anime.

4Kids music, if only for nostalgic purposes and the tune (which I'm searching high and low for; can't find it anywhere) that plays when Charmeleon evolves, when Viktor and Puka are surfing the huge wave, and other parts of the anime.

I found the video on YouTube right away...I know what you are talking about. Is that 4Kids or Japanese? It is definitely based on one of the Gym tunes from the games (maybe when you are in the gym before your battle?). With that said, as for who did that remix, it may have been 4Kids. I haven't heard it since PUSA took over, but it sounds Japanese to me- could be wrong. The fact that there are no audio recordings anywhere of it would also suggest that it is not Japanese...does anyone know?

That's Japanese, PUSA kept it in the summer school episodes. It's the RBY Gym Theme, you can find a clip of it on YouTube. There's also another remix of it which I think is the one that played in the Charizard episode. Both are defiantly Japanese

Last edited:
There is a 4Kids made remix of that theme, oddly enough. As well as one of Team Rocket's secret strategy.

I chose PUSA. Their longer instrumental tracks are actually pretty decent, most of their stuff is crap, but it's better edited in general.

Much as I hate 4Kids for ruining other animes, they did alright with Pokemon. I'm halfway through Battle Dimension right now, and though it's nice to hear some themes from previous movies (like Aaron's theme), I really don't think the background music fits at all.

Much as I hate 4Kids for ruining other animes, they did alright with Pokemon. I'm halfway through Battle Dimension right now, and though it's nice to hear some themes from previous movies (like Aaron's theme), I really don't think the background music fits at all.

4Kids didn't compose their own music to the eight movie. So if you hear that music in the dub version, it was also in the Japanese versio of the episode. And I don't think that PUSA has used 4Kids music after Battle Frontier.

4Kids didn't compose their own music to the eight movie. So if you hear that music in the dub version, it was also in the Japanese versio of the episode. And I don't think that PUSA has used 4Kids music after Battle Frontier.

Actually they used a lot of 4Kids BGM in Diamond and Pearl. They stopped completely (barring the Pokedex theme) when Battle Dimension started.

4Kids didn't compose their own music to the eight movie. So if you hear that music in the dub version, it was also in the Japanese versio of the episode.

but haven't there been a few cases where the dub uses Japanese music but in a place where it didn't belong in the original? So even then, it's not exactly guaranteed to be the same music as the Japanese version (though it is enjoyable to hear music from the movies used in the series, in either version).

I wish there was a neither option because I don't even remember the 4kids music because I didn't find them memorable. This also goes to PUSA music aswell. I prefer the japanese music.

I'm just glad with whatever japanese music we get in the dub. The more japanese music the better for me.

However I can still like an episode with the dub music there if it has a good story to the episode.

Last edited:
hey guys, my firstpost :)
i have a question. i've been grabbing the background music to the Indigo league pokemon anime episodes, i have everything from farewell pikachu to ghost of maidens peak...however despite my collecting from both english and japanese scores there is one song i cannot find...and it just so happens to be my favorite (figures)

the song is the tune that plays in episode 13 - mystery at the lighthouse, when bill is talking about his desire to find dragonite and the 'noise recording' (i want to meet you etc.) and into the scene where dragonite approaches the lighthouse, eyes glowing n all...

i've looked through practically every pokemon score out there, and yes there are tracks such as 'bills lighthouse'...but it is not the right song. (thats the one that plays in sabrina's gym).

im wondering if im simply missing the song, or it doesn't exist at all (which would be a shame)

this here is a link to that very scene, watch it to refresh your memory :), the music im talkin about plays from 00:33-2:50 in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbaZeQ2N4M

so does anybody know what the name of this mysterious cue is? or even better a link to an mp3? (unsure if asking that is legal in these threads or not...sorry

thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated
- Nate / jussumdude

ok here is a list of all the original background music for season one, got to be one of these (might actually be Bill's Lighthouse your looking for (the music) I never did see the youtube video (btw, posting links to anime episodes is not allowed here):

A brutal pokemon arrives
A formidable enemy appears
A huge free for all
A meeting and parting
Absolute death
Bills Lighthouse
Bridge bike gang
Burning battle feild
Creeping SHadow
Dazzling Beautiful Girl
Fighting SPirit
Go with the bycicle
I did it
I got a Pokemon
I got a Victory Badge
Legend
Lets run
Mezase Pokemon Master
Oden
Persestant Pokemon
Pikachu Arrives
Pokemon Battle
Pokemon Holiday
Pokemon, I choose You
Pokemon leage official cap
Pokemon ni Fantasy
Prayer
Raid
Reunion
Setting Off
Silly Psyduck
Team rocket boss Meeting
Team rocket's 7th change
Team Rocket's Motto
Tears after the Cloudy Weather
The Illusionary Pokemon
The Matters settled
The Moon Stone
The ship saint anne
To Be Continued
Total War

so theres all the original Indigo league background music. I have the Japanese backgground music CD.

The music in question is Dub only music. Though I do know for a fact that in the Japanese version, Bill's Lighthouse Theme plays during that scene.

Just FYI, the non-movie Dub BGM was never released, and it seems that over half the Kanto BGM never got release on a soundtrack either.

Kaz weren't you going to do a guide on the Indigo background music? I was looking foward to that.

also was OK! ever played past Johto??

The tune in question played a few times throughout Hoenn, but like almost all the other music, it got phased out and played less often after the region to which it was introduced in the Anime.

As for the BGM guide, thanks for reminding me. I've been busy with a lot of other thing and forgot about it. I can post it as soon as I'm done, but it will take a while, as there are hundreds of tracks to cover.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom