• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bad Ad Reporting Thread

I have got one! This one is really bad... It is a fake Java website that downloads malware onto your computer. As it automatically re-directs your browser to its own site, it makes the entire website unusable. Completely unusable! Please remove this. I can't see why you would keep it... It is not a "picture" ad, it justs automatically sends your browser to the following address, without prompting (apart from a notification that doesn't affect where it sends you.)

"Website" adress: Java update
Screenshot (of site): BulbapediaAd.PNG

I was typing Japanese Pokemon names into Bulbapedia (I'm practicing my Katakana) when suddenly this box pops up:
DDP4wp9.png

Clicking OK or X redirects me to this:
dKnwdu4.png

Firstly, very boring design, nothing like that on whatever website Java is on. Secondly, IP address rather than domain name. Thirdly, "accepted" and "the" are not attached never attached.
Notice that the box pops back up.
While the box is there, I cannot control anything in Chrome outside the box. I can't even move the box. I'm too cautious to do anything other than restart the browser when I get to the scene in the second image.
The only reason for this I can think of is an ad, and because of the above I cannot give you any information more specific than this. Sorry guys.

ABP had a slow start and by chance I glimpsed an inappropriate ad.

sw2ZAgQ.png
It's (obviously) the one on the right, translates roughly as
ad said:
Get rid of impotence!
(image)
With it, your erections will be like 20-year-old's! Sexologists warn: prolonged use may lead to a 3 hour long erection!
Read more >>

The full target URL of the ad link:
ht[noparse]t[/noparse]p://us-ads.openx.net/w/1.0/rc?ts=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&r=http%3A%2F%2Fgreen.erne.co%2Fclicks%3Fid%3DP4jfL3gYiGT%252BFa6ldePMdEubANKcro7VAQfnAFTPVQ5XOidwX8%252FV6Q%253D%253D%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fpaivalehti.com%252Fterveys%252Fhealth-journal-potency-ls%252F%253Faid%253D1307%2526ac%253Dcortb-openx%2526rh%253Dbulbapedia.bulbagarden.net%2526cid%253Dywg6RyhTjsCDdhFcEkbd%2526cp%253D20141224_suT7Mjo5yZ8o0fxAs8qw%26%7BEXTRA_CLICK_PARAMS%7D

The image was served from:
ht[noparse]t[/noparse]p://sgreen.erne.co/creatives?id=ywg6RyhTjsCDdhFcEkbd

Both URLs also at http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=pFquY73s if copying from here causes random spaces or anything of the sort.

Last edited:
every time I loas up bulbapedia on my phone or my computer some random ad redirects me to a number of scam sites, it also directs me to apps on my phone which I am certain contain a iphone virus as those do exist. and the worst part is that the redirect ad changes EVERY time I load a page, and every page has 1-2 redirect ads. can someone please fix this? I need to use bulbapedia for info on the newer anime seasons past diamond and pearl battle dimensions, individual mon articles, and metagame stuff.

every time I loas up bulbapedia on my phone or my computer some random ad redirects me to a number of scam sites, it also directs me to apps on my phone which I am certain contain a iphone virus as those do exist. and the worst part is that the redirect ad changes EVERY time I load a page, and every page has 1-2 redirect ads. can someone please fix this? I need to use bulbapedia for info on the newer anime seasons past diamond and pearl battle dimensions, individual mon articles, and metagame stuff.

If you can get us screenshots of the questionable advertisements, the URLs of the ads, and the URLs they're directing to, we can look into removing them. There's not much we can do without that information, since it would be hunting for a needle in a haystack.

The other night I discovered this bad ad while browsing, which use shock (i.e. gross and perverted) images and clickbait to lure you in and install viruses/malware onto your computer.
CMLt6wWUcAAw3Zr.jpg
The site these ads come from is "Revcontent".
Also, you shouldn't allow the publishing of any ads that go 'Trending Now" or "Around the World", as there are very likely clickbait.

Here's some more clickbait ads from the same advertiser. (Revcontent)
IMG_1993.PNG IMG_1994.PNG image.jpg

I don't mean to be rude, but I question why this advertiser is still allowed even though it's obvious that what it's advertising is clickbait.

The following is from a Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545) version 5.0.1. The ad on the right side of the screen is covering up the column titles "Speed," "Total," and "Average," making those columns unsortable. Occurs in all browsers tested on (Chrome, FF, Android Broswer)

Screenshot_2015-09-08-07-56-53.png

This thread looks 'dead', but it is the only place I think this fits. If it isn't in the right place, I'm sorry! (I'm pretty positive this problem I had came from a weird ad.)
A few days ago, not too long, I was hanging out away from my laptop, and I wanted to go to bulbapedia to find some info on one of the characters. I had loaded up the site easily with google, got one up, then got up the other. It had redirected me in a NEW tab, to some weird 'free ipad 6s' thing. It had somewhat 'locked' me out of my safari on my iPod. Let me just say, I was in shock and freaked out. I'd never been on bulbapedia without adblock, (Sorry to those who don't use adblock and are against it; but I use it so stuff like this does not happen on my laptop.) I had closed the browser (through the 'task manager' by double clicking on the home button), MULTIPLE times, disconnected the internet and tried, and even restarted the ipod. Nothing could get it to not load the freaky message. I had finally managed to spam click fast enough before it loaded to close it, and I was never so relieved. To be safe, I went back to bulbapedia to see if it'd happen again, and sure enough, it did. I got a screenshot as well. Don't mind the other stuff showing in it-. I was even contemplating clicking OK just to get it to close, but I managed to close it somehow. I hope this does not happen on any other person's device, because it took me a bit of patience just to manage to get it to close. I hope this was the right place to submit this, sorry if it isn't! (PS, can't help but laugh because they say its iphone 7, then say its iphone 6s. Such inconsistency-.)
12573763_524522074395120_368886131599858393_n.jpg

@DashtheRaichu Sorry for taking a few days to reply to you, been dealing with a bad case of food poisoning. Do you happen to have the URL it was trying to load at all (as opposed to the fake URL specified in the popup)? We've had one or two other reports of this, but so far we don't have the URL, which is the one piece of info we need to track this down.

I got an idea, try bookmarking the malware site. And then test if the bookmark goes to that site (the real bad ads site) with the fake url displayed. It happened by accident on pixiv.

Actually, bookmark before the redirect happens. If redirect was successful, you have the url and not a blank page, anyway I got the same thing:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi,

I've been using Bulbapedia on my iPhone.
Every time I navigate to a new page, it opens my App Store app to the page for a betting website, William Hill. (I'm in the UK)
I believe this is probably not something that should be appearing on a Pokemon website, given the target audience. Also, it's very irritating!

Please find out the ad source responsible and remove it. Thanks.

Link

Here is a copy of a message I sent to Neo Blaze, trying to report an ad issue on Bulbapedia to an admin. He said that he couldn't see the issue, and suggested that I report it here. The links should all work, and if they don't, let me know. Thanks in advance guys! Also, Gabo 2oo seems to have been cleared of all guilt or assosiation with this. I'm just quoting the messages
"Hey Neo Blaze, sorry to bother you here, I couldn't find any means of contact on Bulbapedia itself, so I was forced to check here. I was browsing the above mentioned page, (Pokémon anime - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) and found that a couple of the images showed an anatomical chart of a private part of the human body, shown here:
Dropbox - Screenshot of Questionable Images.png

I was wanting to edit it myself, but I don't understand the programming language, nor do I know which one it is, so I figured I should tell somebody about it. I suspect that the user "Gabo 2oo" (Gabo 2oo - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) was responsible, but I don't have any proof. It said that he was the last editor though. I recommend that you replace said image with this one:
Dropbox - Indigo League Episode 1.jpg

Thank you for your time and potential action,
CaptainDirt
P.S. Sorry if this seems a little short. My browser flipped out and dumped my previous message, so I had to retype it, and I don't remember the finer details of it. Also, sorry if the second image is from the wrong episode. I got it from a Google search. Thanks again!"
Here is his reply:
'
Hello CaptainDirt,

I don't see the image in question on the page, it just shows the image of EP001 for me. I checked the history of the EP001 image and it hasn't been replaced with said image. I also checked the history of the Pokémon anime page and no changes were made regarding images.

My guess is that it was either a glitch you encountered, or an advertisement. Unfortunately, Bulbapedia has to deal with those. I suggest installing an AdBlocker on your browser. They are free and make sure you won't encounter ads like this again. Furthermore I suggest reporting this in this thread: Bad Ad Reporting Thread

I hope I have helped you enough, if you still have any questions, feel free to respond."

Here is a copy of a message I sent to Neo Blaze, trying to report an ad issue on Bulbapedia to an admin. He said that he couldn't see the issue, and suggested that I report it here. The links should all work, and if they don't, let me know. Thanks in advance guys! Also, Gabo 2oo seems to have been cleared of all guilt or assosiation with this. I'm just quoting the messages
"Hey Neo Blaze, sorry to bother you here, I couldn't find any means of contact on Bulbapedia itself, so I was forced to check here. I was browsing the above mentioned page, (Pokémon anime - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) and found that a couple of the images showed an anatomical chart of a private part of the human body, shown here:
Dropbox - Screenshot of Questionable Images.png

I was wanting to edit it myself, but I don't understand the programming language, nor do I know which one it is, so I figured I should tell somebody about it. I suspect that the user "Gabo 2oo" (Gabo 2oo - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) was responsible, but I don't have any proof. It said that he was the last editor though. I recommend that you replace said image with this one:
Dropbox - Indigo League Episode 1.jpg

Thank you for your time and potential action,
CaptainDirt
P.S. Sorry if this seems a little short. My browser flipped out and dumped my previous message, so I had to retype it, and I don't remember the finer details of it. Also, sorry if the second image is from the wrong episode. I got it from a Google search. Thanks again!"
Here is his reply:
'
Hello CaptainDirt,

I don't see the image in question on the page, it just shows the image of EP001 for me. I checked the history of the EP001 image and it hasn't been replaced with said image. I also checked the history of the Pokémon anime page and no changes were made regarding images.

My guess is that it was either a glitch you encountered, or an advertisement. Unfortunately, Bulbapedia has to deal with those. I suggest installing an AdBlocker on your browser. They are free and make sure you won't encounter ads like this again. Furthermore I suggest reporting this in this thread: Bad Ad Reporting Thread

I hope I have helped you enough, if you still have any questions, feel free to respond."
This is sort of a known issue that's unfortunately not at all simple for us to solve conclusively. If you still see those images and you can tell us their address(es) (something like right click and Copy Image Location, or View Image and then copy the URL it's at), we should be able to do something about it.

Back
Top Bottom