• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Balance/Energy Dragon Trio VS Weather Trio

Articwolf10

Reaction score
On One Corner we have the First Legendary Mascot Trio The Weather Trio Rayquaza, Kyogre and Groudon

384.png
382.png
383.png

These Guys are responsible for shapping the world many eons ago... Kyogre shaping the Ocean. While Groudon shaped Poke-Pangea. Rayquaza Ruled the Sky's however he didn't create it.

They are ruled by Rayquaza who acts as the mediator for Groudon and Kyogre's constand fueding. It can be inferred that they were the first Pokemon in existance after Arceus and his Dragon and Lake Trio with Mew following shortly before or after.

Then we have the Balence/Energy Dragon Trio Reshiram, Zekron and the mysterious Kyurem...

643.png
644.png
646.png

Not much is known about them but they have the power to seperate Pokemon and Humans into a Black and White world. They also are said to come from one Dragon who split into the three. It is possible that the Orginal Dragon came from a meteor that formed the Great Hole.

They represt Yin/Yang/Wuji. Like Groudon and Kyogre. Reshiram and Zekrom are in a constand fued caused by the hero Brothers... Kyurems place in the story is not yet known but wil likly be reveled in the 3rd Version

Okay Which Trio has the better Design? Which Trio would win ect...

The E-Dragon Trio would win a battle. Zekrom can kill Kyogre with Lightning Strike. While Kyurem takes out Rayquaza and Groudon with Frozen world... Reshiram wouldn't do much as they all resist Fire.

Which has the better design...? Personally I can't choose I love them both.

SO what are your opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Balence/Energy Dragon Trio VS Weather Trio

The awesome energy dragons are awesome. They also combine three of my desired dragon combos I've been asking for for years. In comparison, the weather trio seems somewhat lame.

I can't choose cuz I still haven't played B/W. But in typings, I think the Energy trio is more interesting. In terms of desing, mmmm Rayquaza and Groudon kickass but I can't ignore the other dragons... Well, the Weather trio wins.

They're both insanely awesome, but I'm going to have to pick the Weather Trio. Groudon can hit both Reshiram and Zekrom hard with Earthquake, and I think Kyurem would just get overpowered by whoever's keft.

Weather trio has Rayquaza. How do you beat that?

I choose Weather Trio.
My only problem is that Groudon isn't a Fire/Ground type.

If I change my mind once Ive played B/W, Ill edit but for now, its the Weather Trio.

I like them both equally, but I think the balance trio would barely win in a battle.

Rayquaza may land a heavy hit first, but I don't know if it would knock any of them out. Then Kyurem would destroy Rayquaza in one hit. Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyogre all have the same base speed, so I don't know who would go first. I'm pretty sure Kyogre would demolish Zekrom with an ice beam (IF it goes first), but then Reshiram gets his shot.

Reshiram would probably try and hit Kyogre with a dragon attack, which would do a fair amount of damage. Groudon is no real help, but he can do some damage to either one. Next, Kyurem would finish Kyogre off with a dragon attack. Reshiram would then hit Groudon with a Cross Flame or something. Groudon would then KO the Pokemon he injured earlier. The remaining Pokemon would easily KO Groudon with either Cross Flame or a Dragon Pulse.

So the balance trio would still win, even with Kyogre going before Zekrom. If Zekrom goes first, they would have won even easier. There is also the problem of Rayquaza possibly KOing the first Pokemon it attacks, if he is that strong. On the other hand, Kyurem and Rayquaza both have the same base speed, so either one can go first.

The weather trio has Kyogre. No game, weather trio wins. Plus being the only legendary box art trio that doesn't all have the same type is pretty neat.

Weather. I like Rayquaza and Groudon a lot.

Well, Rayquaza's probably one of my favorite Legendaries, so he helps the Weather Trio to victory! Plus, I like their biblical basis on the Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz.

Energy trio because of zekrom.

The weather trio for me
Much better movesets and stats to match

The Weather Trio has more nostalgia for me, and I enjoy using each individual Pokémon more..

The Weather Trio wins. Rayquaza is the most awesome dragon ever. Kyogre is the king of Ubers and Groudon has STAB Earthquake coming off 150 Base Power attack. The Energy trio is mostly lame, except Reshiram.

Both are pretty cool to me, which makes it very hard to choose. Unfortunately, the Weather Trio is pretty boring in but one aspect: Types. Awesome designs, and they're all a force to be reckoned with, with a very cool myth and powers, but the Types being so bland really lets them down.

The Energy Dragons on the other hand have not just the design, the power and an arguably even more extensive myth. They have way more interesting Type Combinations we haven't seen before them. Also, Zekrom is steadily becoming my top favorite Legendary Pokémon of all times. I only don't think too much about Kyurem, and I bet that'll change with the 3rd Version anyway.

So yeah. Afraid to say the Energy Dragon Trio wins this.

I like them both equally, but I think the balance trio would barely win in a battle.

Rayquaza may land a heavy hit first, but I don't know if it would knock any of them out. Then Kyurem would destroy Rayquaza in one hit. Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyogre all have the same base speed, so I don't know who would go first. I'm pretty sure Kyogre would demolish Zekrom with an ice beam (IF it goes first), but then Reshiram gets his shot.

Reshiram would probably try and hit Kyogre with a dragon attack, which would do a fair amount of damage. Groudon is no real help, but he can do some damage to either one. Next, Kyurem would finish Kyogre off with a dragon attack. Reshiram would then hit Groudon with a Cross Flame or something. Groudon would then KO the Pokemon he injured earlier. The remaining Pokemon would easily KO Groudon with either Cross Flame or a Dragon Pulse.

So the balance trio would still win, even with Kyogre going before Zekrom. If Zekrom goes first, they would have won even easier. There is also the problem of Rayquaza possibly KOing the first Pokemon it attacks, if he is that strong. On the other hand, Kyurem and Rayquaza both have the same base speed, so either one can go first.

You have it somewhat wrong.

First, Rayquaza has 150 in both of its attacking stats and has higher Speed than Reshiram and Zekrom and its tied with Kyurem, so a mixed set with either a Naive nature or Choice Scarf can defeat any of them, using a combination of Outrage with either Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse: Outrage for Reshiram giving the higher Sp. Defense and Draco Meteor for Zekrom because of its higher Defense. It's a OHKO on either case, regardless of the held item. Kyurem, however, could be able to take either hit as long as it got some EV investment in HP/defenses and OHKO Rayquaza with Ice Beam/Frozen World/Blizzard.

In the case of Kyogre, it can OHKO Zekrom with Blizzard and Life Orb (the nature doesn't matter), though Ice Beam barely defeats it unless Kyogre has Choice Specs. Reshiram can be easily OHKOed with Water Spout regardless of the nature and the held item thanks to the infinite rain, though Reshiram can't OHKO Kyogre with anything it got unless it has a Modest nature and Choice Specs (the chances are less than the 45%), you have the sun in your favor and use Solar Beam or with an Adamant/Brave nature, Choice Band and using Outrage (pretty rare if you ask me).

Finally, Groudon OHKOes Zekrom with Earthquake if it got at least Life Orb and any nature, and with Reshiram is always a OHKO regardless of the nature and held item. In return, Zekrom can OHKO Groudon with Life Orb, 252 EVs Modest Draco Meteor (an Adamant nature, Choice Band Outrage can do up to 92.40% of damage only) , but Reshiram has it easier, requiring just Fire Blast with any item and nature thanks to the eternal sunshine. Kyurem must be aware of Swords Dance and Rock Slide/Fire Punch/Stone Edge, but can easily OHKO Groudon with Ice Beam.

Both trios has their flaws and good points (the design of all six is fantastic), though my vote goes to the Weather Trio simply because of their members's versatility, raw power and being involved in the myths of a region I love so much (Hoenn). Besides, Drizzle, Drought and Air Lock are better abilities: they don't help just the Pokémon that have it but can be useful for all the teammates. TurboBlaze and TeraVoltage are a little overrated due to that the situations in which they can be actually used (i.e. hitting Motor Drive Electivire with Cross Thunder) can be already covered with other attacks (Outrage or Dragon Claw for example, as Cross Thunder is resisted by Electivire), the few exceptions being Heatran (for Reshiram) and Shedinja (for Zekrom), between others.

Last edited:

These are my two favorite trios of all time, but, Hoenn's weather trio wins in the end due to more useful abilities and better moves in my opinion. Also originality, they broke the dragon type trio thing, even though the leader is a dragon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom