• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Basement find! My original red and blue

formulafbomb1156

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Refer To Profile
Couple days ago I was cleaning out my basement and found my original blue and red cartridges I've had since Christmas of 1998. Better yet, they still work and my old save files are still there!

I haven't played a pokemon game since Ruby when I was in the fourth grade and the nostalgia is pretty intense. I started a new playthrough on Blue and quickly became mildly obsessed/ addicted all over again.

I finished the elite 4 with a time of 22:58 using mostly a Jolteon, Kadabra, and a Gyarados. Venusaur was my starter and while he's got pretty tanky stats I do NOT remember how grass/poison types get dunked on by so many other types. Being weak to both ice and psychic makes him less than ideal for the late game. I also don't remember how absolutely DOMINANT Kadabra is from the minute you get Abra to level 16. Pretty much spammed confusion through 2 gyms, most team rocket encounters, pokemon tower, and cycling road.

Honorable mention to Dugtrio whose Dig came in clutch against Lt. Surge, and all the poison types team rocket uses. I really think Dugtrio is underrated. Great speed and attack stats. Learns slash, dig, and earthquake. Round it out with a good TM and you've got a fairly solid ground type. Especially with how broken speed is in these games.

TL;DR... 30 year old dad finds his old pokemon games and fell back into the rabbit hole after not playing for almost 20 years.

Attachments

• 20231124_213146.jpg
    20231124_213146.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom