• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle against Oak

Pride

The First Homunculus
Reaction score
Has anybody ever executed the glitch where you battle Oak in Pokemon R/B/Y?

I myself have never done it, but the glitch does intrigue me (link for those who don't know what the glitch is).

The fact he actually has a team programmed with such high levels supports my theory that Professor Oak was intended to be the final trainer you would battle (maybe even set after you battle Mewtwo) in the games. But to be honest, a professor with such high-level Pokemon is sort of random. It wouldn't really make too much sense. Maybe that's why they didn't implement a battle against Oak in the final game.

It makes sense when you consider that he used to be a trainer. He had to retire from the competitive leagues because he got too old, and loving Pokemon as he did, he entered a career that would allow him to continue being around Pokemon. Perhaps his team in-game is his team from when he was a trainer, and seeing the youth achieve on such a high level has reinvigorated his love for battling.

Strange Beam is right, he used to be a trainer, but picked up a love for pokemon studying. as a result, he gave up training. however, i still do think that the programmers at Game freak did it on purpose, because I'm sure they wouldn't take the time to give him a lv.62 tauros.....

I myself have never done it, but the glitch does intrigue me (link for those who don't know what the glitch is).

The fact he actually has a team programmed with such high levels supports my theory that Professor Oak was intended to be the final trainer you would battle (maybe even set after you battle Mewtwo) in the games. But to be honest, a professor with such high-level Pokemon is sort of random. It wouldn't really make too much sense. Maybe that's why they didn't implement a battle against Oak in the final game.

I had heard that he was orignally supposed to be like the champion or somthing like that.

I've done it, yes. And I have plans to do it again, only this time, I'm going to steal his Pokémon. I want every detail I can get on these babies.

On another note, it's highly unlikely that the team is canon—Oak mentions that the Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle at the beginning of the game are the only Pokémon he has left. Although, curiously, he seems to have collected another set of these three by the time Ethan/Kris/Lyra arrives in Pallet Town....

I have never done anything like this, but the simple idea is great i would have liked this feature to appear in another pokemon game

I've done it, yes. And I have plans to do it again, only this time, I'm going to steal his Pokémon. I want every detail I can get on these babies.

On another note, it's highly unlikely that the team is canon—Oak mentions that the Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle at the beginning of the game are the only Pokémon he has left. Although, curiously, he seems to have collected another set of these three by the time Ethan/Kris/Lyra arrives in Pallet Town....

i think one of the sources also said oak has a high lvl dragonite as well and the manga show him with a machamp.

well, if he really does only have 3 pokemon, the starters of kanto, then what did he do to that Charmeleon he had when he was good little Sammy of Celebi: Voice of the forest? Well, he couldn't of released it. Because probably when he was a trainer in his own time, maybe his dad gave it to him. I've never activated the glitch, but would Oak really have pokemon at his age?

well, if he really does only have 3 pokemon, the starters of kanto, then what did he do to that Charmeleon he had when he was good little Sammy of Celebi: Voice of the forest? Well, he couldn't of released it. Because probably when he was a trainer in his own time, maybe his dad gave it to him. I've never activated the glitch, but would Oak really have pokemon at his age?
Anime =/= Games.

Besides, you battle Oak when he's old.

maybe while you are out on your quest, oak decides to create a team for you to battle when you get back?

I reckon Oak was the champion but stepped down when he got old and the pokemon you get are the descendants of his pokemon which is why he can keep getting more

My opinion is that he was meant to be the champion you fought at the end, but then the story was just given a little twist by having your main rival as the one you would have to win against...

Since the starter he had is the one neither the player or the rival chose, its probably the same one meaning Oak got the urge to train some Pokemon again after watching the player and the rival.

Since the starter he had is the one neither the player or the rival chose, its probably the same one meaning Oak got the urge to train some Pokemon again after watching the player and the rival.

Or maybe just saying you really mucked up whilst choosing, because in the third pokeball was a level 70 fully evolved pokemon.... :p

It makes sense when you consider that he used to be a trainer. He had to retire from the competitive leagues because he got too old, and loving Pokemon as he did, he entered a career that would allow him to continue being around Pokemon. Perhaps his team in-game is his team from when he was a trainer, and seeing the youth achieve on such a high level has reinvigorated his love for battling.

though it is true he used to be a trainer at the point where you choose your starter pokemon(at least in FR/LG) he says he gave up/away all his pokemon except the three starters.

This. I've never tried it myself, but I always believed that either Oak was supposed to be the one you'd meet after beating the Elite Four or that he'd be a final trainer to face after you battled AND caught Mewtwo. You'd show him Mewtwo and he'd offer to battle you.

I never encountered this glitch or hack it in the games (not like I understand this anyway), but seeing videos intrigued me because the prospect of battling your master is very fun to watch. If the re-remakes give you the option, this would really be a treat.

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom