• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'Battle & Get! Pokémon Typing DS!' announced: Game to teach typing skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
'Battle & Get! Pokémon Typing DS!' announced: Game to teach typing skills

At the recent Nintendo press conference in Japan, numerous new titles were revealed, including a new Pokémon side game. "Battle & Get! Pokémon Typing DS!" will be released in Japan in 2011. The goal of the game is to teach Japanese children how to type, seemingly using the English keyboard.

Read more on Bulbanews

I suppose it makes sense that they don't use trademark romanizations, as they're learning how to type Japanese words in English.

...Huh.

Well this is defiantly different from the other Genius Sonority games thats for sure... Technically speaking this would be the first spin-off of gen V, though something bigger would of been nice. Don't get me wrong I'm not whining or anything, but a typing game...?

This game looks absolutely fantastic. Importing it as soon as pre-orders open.

What...the..fudge? At least my dad might buy it for my momwho can't type.

If I want to learn how to type I have Mario Teaches typing thank you.

D:

I want it. They must export this.

So it's to teach Japanese kids how to type in English? I suppose it works as an English helper too.

I would have thought the first Pokemon game on the 3DS would have been a bit...more...amazing.

So, we get a typing game, eh? We've had lots of typing games with other brands already, but finally Pokémon decides to do it? This sounds interesting.

A typing game.
They should have made a mystery dungeon or a ranger for the 3DS!
Not a game for little kids to learn english.

Genius Sonority making this isn't that surprising...one of the other "games" they have out is a collection of English Novels. :0

Huh... that's interesting. Even though Black and White hasn't been out for very long, they're already starting to dish out other Pokemon games for Gen V. I'm still kinda hoping for some kind of Wii game for Gen V though, but since it's Genius Sonority that's making this typing game... I wonder...:-/

Guys, this game isn't made to "teach Japanese kids how to type in English." It's to teach kids how to type, period.

Anyone who's ever input Japanese text on their computers will know what I'm talking about. In order to produce a name like ストライク without copy/paste, you have to type out s-u-t-o-r-a-i-k-u (minus the hyphens) and hit the space bar. You're typing out two letters for each character; "su" for ス, "to" for ト, "ra" for ラ, and so on.

If the screens presented the romanticized versions of the names, kids would try to type those instead and end up with meaningless gobbledygook.

Outrage said:
I would have thought the first Pokemon game on the 3DS would have been a bit...more...amazing.

This isn't a 3DS game, though. Where did you get that idea?

Bug Catcher Wade said:
What child has small enough fingers to learn to type on a DS screen?

The game comes with a little keyboard that you can hook up to your DS. I don't know why so many sites are neglecting to report that.

So, we get a typing game, eh? We've had lots of typing games with other brands already, but finally Pokémon decides to do it? This sounds interesting.

We've had one technically, back in '04. Valusoft made "Pokemon PC Master". Seems like a fun game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom