• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Maison

Earlier today I had a streak at the super multi battle mode. My pokemon? Dragalge with toxic spikes and mega gardevoir. My AI companion? gengar and blissey. The pokemon that showed up on the opposing side? Mostly steel and poison types,levetaters,pokemon with lum berries, and pokemon with extremely high attack stats. I somehow made it passed battle 21, only to have it end on battle 22 when a braviary outsped and then proceeded to one hit ko every single pokemon on my side of the battlefield with brave bird barring the blissey my companion had (the dewgong that the other AI trainer had fainted the braviary with surf after said braviary fainted my gardevoir). The previously mentioned blissey then proceeded to somehow survive an explosion from the metagross that the braviary trainer sent out yet the enemy dewgong somehow fainted from the explosion when it was at full health. I was then forced to watch as a vaporeon that the dewgong trainer sent out put blissey to sleep with yawn and whittled her health away to nothing with a few muddy waters. Thus my streak ended.

Also, how does a braviary outspeed a timid gardevoir with maximun speed investment?!?

Last edited:
With Choice scarf, or another possibility--the turn you Mega Evolve, you are put into the same speed tier as your non-Mega self in terms of attack order. So even though Mega Gardevoir has 100 base speed, the turn it evolves, its working off 80. Braviary could have had better IV's, or it was purely coincidental.

Still waiting for my friends to finish the elite 4 so i can multiplay with them :( back to breeding then.

I raised a perfect (bar Sp. Atk) Drapion with Knock Off.

Really, really, good so far...Knock Off is now pretty powerful and most Pokemon there have an Item to trip you up too, so it's even stronger.

That moment when you make it to round 50 in super singles and lose because of a terrible mistake. Seriously, that was not cool.

Copycat/Roar no longer works

Working on Super Singles, trained up several combos and one was a Prankster Riolu. Didn't know the combo in BW, but recently found it. However, after doing a Roar (negative priority) then using Copycat with Prankster (positive priority) you will get the message the move fails. With all the penalties to sweeper combos now it seems like the way to go is bulky. Mega Venusaur is looking a bit awesomer. lol
Been tinkering with several critters. Greninja can put out good damage and can throw off attacks with Protarian, but is very frail. Mega Venusaur is a great offence and defence, but Tentacruel are a common sight and can wall it pretty well. My opener slot was used for Forretress, but laying out Spikes and Stealth Rock has proven far less useful with a party of 3 than I expected it to be and it doesn't do much otherwise.

Expected Greninja to only work as a last resort, but its been an extremely useful last resort. Sweeping out teams even without Stealth Rock. MV is just awesome, but has a few common counters rampant in Super Singles it seems. With the nerf to an old favorite Breloom I'm tempted to raise a Smeargle with Spore, Substitute, Horn Leech and Soak, but don't think it's fast/strong enough to pull it off effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive lost to a yanmega at super single battle 69 , my mega charizard was critical hit flinched by a yanmega's air slash.

I lost at single battle at round 17.....a venipede with speed bost raped my EV trained pokemon....
By the time i got Charizard out who was EV trained in speed and attack, the venipede's speed was so built up it didn't get a chance seriously....not.....cool.....

I love triple battles. I made a team with one of each gen 1 and gen 6 starter each with their pledge move. Those pledges are strong.

Ive lost to a yanmega at super single battle 69 , my mega charizard was critical hit flinched by a yanmega's air slash.

Yeah ive noticed a lot of cheap moves, but ive been lucky so far and had like 20 battles in a row start with weak types

The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: "A few NPCs scattered around the game have illegal pokemon: Evolutions who should not actually exist at their current level or otherwise have skillsets that it shouldn't be able to have. For example, there are a few Mienshaos that are below level 50 (including that of Lysandre). This trope really gets ramped up in the Battle Maison, where just like Pokemon Tournaments in previous games, pits you up against completely random opponents. Opponents whose complete 'randomness' forces you to fight against pokemon who have a complete statistical and type advantage. They'll bust out legendary pokemon like Terrakion and Yveltal if they must (Which are banned for the player, of course)." (okay, given the Team Flare boss is a joke, I don't think many seasoned players would care too much... for the miason... ugh, they don't know anything about strategy, so the computer will just cheat to beat us once again. go figure that Gamefreak did so much homework on many things, except programming actual tactics into the AI... I think I'll probably stick to the Battle Institute until I can develop a decent enough team.)

-"Chatelaine Evelyn on 50th consecutive win battle has, of all things, an Entei with Sacred Fire, something that only Ho-Oh has been known to learn in past generations, except since Entei isn't available right now, we don't know yet if it actually can learn it normally or not." (BULL****, I DEMAND EVIDENCE OF THIS!!)

Last edited:
Well for the chatelaines at least they have a mostly predetermined team, so you can switch out to counter them before you fight them.

Edit: also they npc never uses banned species. Legendary trios and lati@s are perfectly legal once pokemon bank comes out.

Last edited:
I like that you can receive BPs after each battle and interupt to change teams. One Pokemon in the Single Battles really gets on my nerves, Scolipede. It uses Swords Dance, and usually takes me two turns to take it down. Most of the time I have to rely on it missing my Pokemon or my flinching moves flinching it to avoid it using Swords Dance. Its Speed is so high, that my fastest Pokemon still was outsped.

I've gotten lucky to taken it down a few times, but most of the time it ends my streak.

The difficulty of the Battle Maison is something that I see myself enjoying the most. The first 10 or so battles seem to be a breeze depending on what team you use, but I think afterwards is where the battles really start to get interesting. And plus, it's really nice that you get to select which battle soundtrack you want, though I wish there was personally more variety, like the E4 or Champion music and things like that.

They'll bust out legendary pokemon like Terrakion and Yveltal if they must (Which are banned for the player, of course).

Terrakion is perfectly legal. Not all Legendaries are banned, just Ubers. People in the Battle Maison will use legendaries, but not Ubers.

...huh, I suppose I neglected to correct the direct quote.

I still don't believe the Entei with Sacred Fire deal...

I can't believe my team got beat by a single Unfezant... Danged thing managed to use hypnosis 5 times without missing one of them :(

I tried out the Maison a few times. Got 15 wins in single battle, 14 in double, and 11 in triple. I haven't tried any other battle formats. But my Bellossom was so dangerous in a lot of these battles. XD Sunny Day + Chlorophyll + Solarbeam rules. Fast, 1-turn Solarbeams!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom