• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Battle of the Butterflies!

The_Ideal_Dragon

I like turtles
Reaction score
Which of these beauty queens do you prefer? I love Vivillon, despite it's being from Kalos, most of which I dislike.

Dustox for me. I've had the best experiences with it in battle out of the first three (haven't played Gen VI yet), and I like its design the most.

Uh, not to be "that guy", but Dustox is a moth, not a butterfly. There is a difference between the two winged bugs, otherwise Venomoth would also have to be on this poll. It's even called the "Poison Moth" Pokemon. So it's a moth, not a butterfly, otherwise you'd have to put Venomoth on the list as well.

Moving on, Butterfree for me. It has nothing to do with being a Gen 1 Mon, as I'm sick of Gen 1, it's just better to me. I've used all of them in past games, but Butterfree always seemed to stick around longer than the first few Gyms. It actually helped me win several Gyms due to the Psychic moves it learned and such. So Butterfree for me.

I like butterfree best out of this lot. One was even part of my good old team of four I used back in the days of Leaf Green, and performed surprisingly well throughout the game. He's now level 90. And also, butterfree's just quite cute, and definitely one of the more interesting of the lot, due to having random psychic powers. Imagine if every random butterfly you saw was psychic. I don't think I've used the others that much - I quite like vivillon, though I do wish the patterns were random rather than being pre-determined and rather difficult to do anything about.

Uh, not to be "that guy", but Dustox is a moth, not a butterfly. There is a difference between the two winged bugs, otherwise Venomoth would also have to be on this poll. It's even called the "Poison Moth" Pokemon. So it's a moth, not a butterfly, otherwise you'd have to put Venomoth on the list as well.

Moving on, Butterfree for me. It has nothing to do with being a Gen 1 Mon, as I'm sick of Gen 1, it's just better to me. I've used all of them in past games, but Butterfree always seemed to stick around longer than the first few Gyms. It actually helped me win several Gyms due to the Psychic moves it learned and such. So Butterfree for me.

Okay, thanks, but is there a way to change the poll?

Vivillon has the best design and I like the region concept, with monsoon, ocean, and tundra being some of my favorite ones. I rather like beautifly as well. Couldn't care less about the other two.

Buttefree, without a shadow of doubt. Vivillon is a close second.

Beautifly easiliy. Probably mostly because May had one, but I have used it in Emerald, Pearl, and Omega Ruby now and I really like it. Great to be able to learn Giga Drain, and Gen VI addition of Air Cutter really helps.

Buttefree, without a shadow of doubt. Vivillon is a close second.

I'm of the same opinion. Any game where I can get a Caterpie early on, I've ran Butterfree on ym main team. Gen 6, Vivillon was my best trained Pokemon.

Butterfree I suppose, since he was still original. I'm really getting sick of these moth/butterfly crutch characters.

Vivillion because of the alternate forms and having a more appealing design than the other three imo.

I kinda like all of them, but my favorite is probably Butterfree. Vivillon comes at a darn close 2nd.

Beautify for me, i know it's fragile but i get disappointed by Dustox's low damage output - yes i know and understand the point of one being a sweeper and the other being a wall, but still...

I really think Venomoth should be on this list too. Its hidden ability really rocks (or at least i think so).

Having just re-read this, I'm surprised no one (myself included) bothered to protest the absence of the "other" moths/butterfly/things: Mothim and Volcarona

Having just re-read this, I'm surprised no one (myself included) bothered to protest the absence of the "other" moths/butterfly/things: Mothim and Volcarona

That's because this is intended to be a butterfly contest and those aren't butterflies. Dustox's inclusion seems like a mistake of theirs thinking it's a butterfly, when it's not. (Also Venomoth and Masquerain are also moths that you missed, just as a fyi.)

Anyway, answering the topic, I think all the butterflies are pretty boring and don't particularly care for any of them. But if I had to choose one I guess I'd go with Vivillon due to its unique patterns and the way it promotes trading between various countries.

Venomoth has previously been mentioned. As for Masquerain, it's not really included, is it? It's basically a midge but pretty. Oh, go on then. I'll allow it. Except i'm not really in charge, so i can't.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom