• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Battle of the Champions

As far as teams go...I'd say Cynthia, with Blue being a close second. Cynthia definitely has the most diverse and menacing team, and with Blue, I just like Exeggutors and always associate Exeggutor with him.

Alder's cool, and Steven's also cool, but both of them have issues with team balance.

Lance brings back a lot of fond memories, both as an Elite Four member in RBY and as Champion in GSC, but he seems kind of like a douche. Something about making Dragonite use Hyper Beam on a person does that.

Also, his team is really weak to Ice and Rock.

In the end, I voted Cynthia because of the diverse team I mentioned, but Blue and Steven are also up there.

Cynthia has no personality. Really none of the champions do except Blue and sort of Alder. All Cynthia is is a set of boobs and blonde hair who gets shoehorned into games she doesn't belong in.

I think Lance would probably win as far as teams go. Dragonite is pretty brutal especially with its ability.

Well, my avatar probably suggests my opinion. When I first saw him, I thought his design was interesting. Then, I eventually found out his roles, his past and everything. But what really made me like him was the fact that he actually fulfills his duty.

Unlike the rest of the champions, Alder actually attempts to battle the evil team. Lance helps you out in the Mahogany Rocket Hideout, but is nowhere to be found when the Radio Tower is taken over. Steven gives you one gift and helps out against Team Magma in Emerald, and Blue is just a jerk to you.

Cynthia is the worst offender though. Need to deliver a charm to Grandma? Player takes care of it. Need to go check out a lake? Send the player. Battle the leader of Team Galactic in the Distortion World that has the fate of the world on it? The champ can't bothered with something as trivial as that.

Steven has always been my favorite Champion. His battles weren't the most difficult, but they were always the more... Complex, than the other Champions. It wasn't ridiculously easy or difficult; it felt the most like a true, final battle. It felt like it actually mattered.

I suppose I just see things in deeper ways than they're meant to be.

Hehe, you can definitely see that most of this site is from the D/P generation. I like all the champs pretty well, but I couldn't NOT vote for Blue on this one. Him being one step ahead of you for the entire game really made you want to crush him when you battled him, and when you finally did you felt like you really accomplished something. Cynthia isn't bad either, but I'd probably pick Gen V's champ over her as well.

I'd say Blue. The idea that your rival ends up becoming the Champion is one of the best concepts the series has ever implemented, even today, and his team is pretty good.
BTW, does anyone else find Alder to look astonishingly like Dakim from Colosseum?
Put this way (old post, I was reading a ways back), it'd be hard to vote for anyone other than Blue.

But I do kinda like Steven though.

But I guess it's Blue.

EDIT: Apparently, I had voted for Blue before anyway. Glad to see me and me are in accord though. (If we weren't, we'd have a problem.)

Why isn't Red a choice? He's canonically a Champion and since HGSS he is the trainer with the highest level Pokemon, I think he'd beat all the champions on this list :p He's already beaten Lance and Blue, after all.

Well, my avatar probably suggests my opinion. When I first saw him, I thought his design was interesting. Then, I eventually found out his roles, his past and everything. But what really made me like him was the fact that he actually fulfills his duty.

Unlike the rest of the champions, Alder actually attempts to battle the evil team. Lance helps you out in the Mahogany Rocket Hideout, but is nowhere to be found when the Radio Tower is taken over. Steven gives you one gift and helps out against Team Magma in Emerald, and Blue is just a jerk to you.

Cynthia is the worst offender though. Need to deliver a charm to Grandma? Player takes care of it. Need to go check out a lake? Send the player. Battle the leader of Team Galactic in the Distortion World that has the fate of the world on it? The champ can't bothered with something as trivial as that.

This is basically my opinion. I just hold Steven as a close second out of personal preference.

Why isn't Red a choice? He's canonically a Champion and since HGSS he is the trainer with the highest level Pokemon, I think he'd beat all the champions on this list :p He's already beaten Lance and Blue, after all.

Because he isn't an head of the E4, I guess. Still, try to give input about the Contest, not the Contestants. If the OP decided to use these, you should chose and discuss from among these.

I have to agree with you on that point. I didn't vote for him but no matter what you want to say about him, whether you found him easy or hard, you can't deny that he fulfilled his duties as a Champion to the best of his ability. For all her skills in battling Cynthia just made a horrible impression on me because she could never be bothered to do anything herself. As if she was too busy to help you out.

True. He is the most powerful trainer in the series and I agree he should be on the list, but i'm not sure i'd say he could just beat everyone on this list. I at least think it could be debated who would win. They're all Champions after all.

Re: War of the Champions!

I have to vote Blue simply because he was the original and what is very interesting is that he use different Pokemon depending on what starter you chose and is the only Champion to do that.

He was a top class Champion in Pokemon Yellow and used a variety of different and well balanced types. What was more important is that he used the basic three opposing types (Water, Fire, and Grass).

Lance all the way. I can see Cynthia but Lance is the most like me.

Blue (Green?). He's the first and original, and actually has some character.
He had a diverse and difficult team as well, and he was always screwing with you from the beginning of the game when he picked Squirtle to kick your Charmander's ass. It made it so much more thrilling to finally beat him.

Cynthia is overrated, as many say, although she also has a unique team. But Blue, for me, is the best champion.

Cynthia is the toughest one for sure. Her freakin' Garchomp goes to lvl 77 in rematch.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom