• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Royal

I'm the type of person who rallies to gang up on someone and then gets ganged up on instead. I've played enough board games to know.

Looks fun though!! Looking forward to it.

what's stopping three people ganging up on you?
That probably wouldn't be a good strategy if you're looking to actually win. Since your overall score is based on your Pokemon remaining and opposing Pokemon knocked out, it'd be more advantageous to distribute your attacks in order to net as many KO's as possible, or alternatively take a defensive approach to preserve your own team. Heck, players in 2nd or 3rd place may even want to save the player who's about to be eliminated so that they can prolong the game and give themselves more time to win. There's all sorts of mindgames to be played.

Something I've wanted in the franchise for years. I hope this gets within the main game story at least once also hoping they create an option to turn off/weaken "hit everything moves" like EQ and Surf or it'll get too hectic too fast. Also King of the hill/last mon standing and have those already eliminated be allowed to spectate and cheer as Wheeler suggested.

The Battle Royal seems alright but I probably won't use it during the game (unless there is a mandatory battle).

That probably wouldn't be a good strategy if you're looking to actually win. Since your overall score is based on your Pokemon remaining and opposing Pokemon knocked out, it'd be more advantageous to distribute your attacks in order to net as many KO's as possible, or alternatively take a defensive approach to preserve your own team. Heck, players in 2nd or 3rd place may even want to save the player who's about to be eliminated so that they can prolong the game and give themselves more time to win. There's all sorts of mindgames to be played.
There's also the fact that if someone's in a clear lead, they can gang up on the person winning and by default cause them to lose by knocking them out.

I think its good , many games uses battle royal, interesting and original if it comes to pokemon battles. How many strategies and posibilities? will it allow you to comunicate?

It looks great, definitely going to play this with my friends, the moment Sun and Moon are out!

Welp, time to go teach all of my Pokémon Earthquake, Surf, Sludge Wave, Discharge, and Lava Plume.
I can't even imagine what the anime will do with this. I hope they treat it better than that one-off Triple Battle in BW.

There was also one in XY, if you count Ash/Serena/Clemont vs Shauna/Tierno/Trevor

There was also one in XY, if you count Ash/Serena/Clemont vs Shauna/Tierno/Trevor
Wouldn't that be a triple battle? I haven't seen/don't remember that episode, so I'm not sure.

Wouldn't that be a triple battle? I haven't seen/don't remember that episode, so I'm not sure.

The dude in the quote was saying he hopes it's more relevant than the one triple battle in the anime, so I pointed out there was another one

Watching DuncanKneeDeep's reaction to this news was priceless XD

I think I understand why the mode ends as it does. In traditional Gen 6 Free For Alls, it almost always ends up being a 1v1 or two players remaining because the game still acts like you're on the same team. And I think for Battle Royals the designers want to prevent it from ending up just being a standard 1v1. It's more fun when it's a free for all, so let the players spend more time doing the free for all.

Watching DuncanKneeDeep's reaction to this news was priceless XD

I think I understand why the mode ends as it does. In traditional Gen 6 Free For Alls, it almost always ends up being a 1v1 or two players remaining because the game still acts like you're on the same team. And I think for Battle Royals the designers want to prevent it from ending up just being a standard 1v1. It's more fun when it's a free for all, so let the players spend more time doing the free for all.
That makes sense. A 1v1 could end up turning into a Toxic stall match, and that wouldn't be fun to watch. If that's their reasoning, I completely agree.

Great for a handful of Poketubers, to an extent~ The purpose of FFAs was to be the last man standing while Battle Royal ends the match when the first person loses all their mons, which is just a bit underwhelming~ At least in FFAs, ganging up on the threat didn't just end the match right there~

But it is a good starting point for such a mode~ Perhaps they'll have a rules option where it can be the last person declared as the winner~ Either way, I'll certainly be trying it out~

It wasn't on my wish list but I'm still glad to see this style of battle becoming a thing. I'll probably dabble in it for a bit.

The dude in the quote was saying he hopes it's more relevant than the one triple battle in the anime, so I pointed out there was another one
Wow that dude was me. Somehow I completely missed that part. My bad.

Looking at Battle Royal... I quite like the idea! It might be because I also quite like Triple Battles, and this format screams of complexity of decisions, much like triples. Just take account many factors to go through:

-Status Problems like Sleep and Burn could become prominent, I'll bet, as weakening or stopping opponent's moves would block out potential KO's from happening.

-Priority will be a wickedly manipulated tactic: Trick Room could be a devious move to look out for, as well as Prankster and Custap shenanigans hoping to mess up things by going first. There will also be times you'll want just slightly lower speed than another Pokemon, so that one attack could weaken a foe, and you can end up finishing a knockout before another could do so. The order of moves will really effect the game play...

-The order and nature of the 3 Pokemon sent out could be really crucial: Like, would it be important for your last Pokemon to be a defensive wall, just as a way to stay alive while foes fight one another? What slot would you send out a Glass Cannon that could entice foes to attack your Pokemon? This area I could consider a very unpracticed mechanic that will take loads of plays in this format in order to figure out...

-Like Triples, switching out in this format appears to be very risky business. You could end up losing a turn you could have used to knock out or protect a foe. I can only see Weather setters or Intimidaters doing well to switch into here.

-As mentioned here already, I am also curious about how wide range attacks like earthquake, etc, would work. If they strike all foes at once, I do hope they get nerfed somewhat in power, as I think they could just dominate the attack methods otherwise.

The complexity and situations feel remarkable, and something that will need loads of testing to figure out how to win. Just the fact that there's 4 players doing decisions here makes playing incredibly unpredictable - and also makes me wonder how much luck will be involved in winning...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom