• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Subway RMT

Troggy

Flower Power
Reaction score
Update: New version of team is up on Page 2!

Hi Everyone. I tried the B/W Battle Subway for the first time yesterday. This team is doing alright for me, but I know it can be more effective. I want to keep Darmanitan, but otherwise I'm flexible. Here it is!

555.png
Bag_Choice_Scarf_Sprite.png

BURST
Adamant nature (♂)
31/30/30/16/31/31
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Superpower
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Flare Blitz

Basically a beast. With Choice Scarf he can't OHKO all the bulky Pokemon in the Subway, but anything that doesn't resist Flare Blitz will be in a world of hurt. Wouldn't mind switching to Band to increase the destruction, but right now I need his potential revenge killing to come in a second time. For example, I'm locked into a move and Hydreigon comes in, I can sacrifice another mon and then OHKO with Superpower.

149.png
Bag_Lum_Berry_Sprite.png

31/31/29/x/31/31
252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Spe
~Dragon Dance
~Roost
~Fire Punch
~Outrage

Dragonite is well suited for the battle tower. Good typing, and lots of opportunities to set up on stuff. Lum Berry adds one more free turn should something try and status him. I try not to get greedy, so if he can get a couple of Dragon Dances in, it's Outrage time. I can change Fire Punch to something else if necessary. I already have Fire and Ground moves, so to add coverage I could do something like Waterfall (Assuming Gastrodon doesn't get a water move). I am mainly focused on Outrage doing enough damage to secure the win.

423.png
Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

DIPHDA
Calm Nature (♀) | Storm Drain
31/25/31/31/31/31
EV spread (Forget exactly, but its defensive)
~Yawn
~Recover
~Earth Power
~Ice Beam

Gastrodon's nice typing, bulk, and ability make it a nice fit with the other two guys. I'm definitely enjoying that part of it so far. Immunities to Electric and Water, resistance to Rock, are all very important considering the other members. Gastrodon can status bulky Pokemon and allow DNite to come set up. The one underwhelming thing about her so far is her lack of power. There is probably a better suited set for this spot, but it's a tight fit. Recover is very valuable to keep Yawning stuff and trying to get DNite in. I wouldn't leave the house without a STAB move, and Ice Beam has nice coverage alongside it. Suggestions for her are welcome, though.

Former Members
Replaced by: Dragonite
BATACULAR! the Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature (♂) | Poison Heal
31/31/31/16/29/31
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
~Swords Dance
~Taunt
~Earthquake
~Ice Fang

Gliscor adds some important characteristics to the team, but that doesn't mean he is irreplaceable. His immunities to Ground and Electric help the other team members. He is also immune to status once he is poisoned. He likes to set up on Fighting types, who at best can Stone Edge.

One thing that gives him problems with this set is Heraboss. Although Taunt is a nice asset, if I need the move coverage I will add a Flying move instead. I learned the hard way that you can't kill Heracross fast enough to stop him from getting a huge Attack boost. I suppose Taunt helps with that, but it's just something I'm thinking about in general, since more STAB moves are usually a good thing. I'm also considering Facade, which could offer some nice neutral coverage.

I am considering switching to Jolly 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe, but that will be a lot less bulk. I do happen to have such a Gligar waiting to be trained, so if that change makes sense, it won't be hard to implement.

Replaced by: Gastrodon
BUBBLES the Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (♀)
31/x/31/30/31/31
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
~Wish
~Toxic
~Surf
~Hidden Power (Electric 70)

At first I tried using an Elektross, but the lack of Water resist was too much of a bad thing. Vaporeon can handle the Bulky Water types, as long as they don't run Toxic. She can also pass Wishes to my other teammates. Right now she is the glue that prevents me from getting run over by a lot of things.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi Troggy.

This looks to be a solid RMT, each Pokemon covering each other's weaknesses and whatnot, but it seems that you lack any dedicated Special Walls [not sure how much of a problem is to this team], but you could try this:

Milotic @ Leftovers
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
Calm Nature/Marvel Scale [allows it to absorb status, to an extent]
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Toxic/Roar
-Recover

Last edited:
Have considered using Rotom-W in place of Vaporeon?

Hi Troggy.

This looks to be a solid RMT, each Pokemon covering each other's weaknesses and whatnot, but it seems that you lack any dedicated Special Walls [not sure how much of a problem is to this team], but you could try this:

Milotic @ Leftovers
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
Calm Nature/Marvel Scale [allows it to absorb status, to an extent]
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover/Roar

Good thought. It is true I have 2 physically bulky Pokemon...although Vaporeon is almost a mixed wall since she has a good base spD and huge HP. If I can get one of my Feebas pokeshifted I may give Milotic a shot!

Have considered using Rotom-W in place of Vaporeon?

Yes. I have a Modest Rotom-W with HP Fire right now. Suggested set? I haven't EV trained it yet. I have more Rotoms but they are not Pokeshifted yet.

I don't really expect you to be needing Hidden Power Fire as much as the other moves, considering Scizor is pretty much covered by the other two members. What have you had trouble with?

Yeah, I won't be using HP Fire, I just wanted to mention it. I am only 14 battles in using this configuration, so I'll update when I lose!

Well, have you lost yet?

When we were talking I completely forgot about Milotic, and I have one I use pretty often. I run a RestTalk set though. Status absorber/Phazer.

Calm @ Leftovers
252 HP / 200 Def / 58 S.Def
Rest
Sleep Talk
Scald
Dragon Tail

I forgot the exact numbers but there was a thread about the spread. I'm pretty sure that when you are sleeping with Marvel Scale the defenses were pretty even. You could always just move some over to S.Def instead of the EVs in Def, then hope for a burn from Scald.

Running Gastrodon is still an option, you would just have to make sure Darmanitan is around in case there's a Grass(Ferrothorn or I see a lot of Sceptiles in the Subway) still around. I'll post the set I run if you like the Gastrodon option.

So, I lost to a Sunny Day + Solarbeam Victreebel because I sacrificed Darmanitan to get their second Poke in kill range. Lesson learned is that Darmanitan is extremely valuable and will save my butt from stupid stuff like fast Solarbeams.

I'm a little underwhelmed with Gliscor right now. I wouldn'd mind trying out Storm Drain Gastrodon as my bulky water. That takes care of the Electric immunity I need. I would just need a Gliscor replacement that was also immune to ground. I suppose some sort of Dragon/Flying type might be useful. Maybe Dragon Dance Salamence?

So just thinking out loud here:

Scarf Darmanitan
DD Mence
Gastrodon / Vaporeon / Milotic / Rotom-W

You might want to try Multiscale Dragonite over Salamence.

You might want to try Multiscale Dragonite over Salamence.

I was just gonna say that, Bulky DD Multiscale would be a better choice.

Gastrodon is good, but I found it situational in the Subway. Now I only use it to mess around, not if I'm going for a serious run.

Oh, okay. The only nature I have of Multi-Scale Dragonite is Jolly. Would that work OK?

For Gastrodon I could do like Yawn / Surf / Ice Beam / Recover. If you think that would be underwhelming, I'd be fine using one of the other bulky waters. If I don't use a Water/Ground type, I may reconsider the Dragon/Flying since I would no longer have a Rock or Electric resist.

I'm not exactly sure what Dragonite is outspeeding with Jolly that it isn't already outspeeding.

I'm not exactly sure what Dragonite is outspeeding with Jolly that it isn't already outspeeding.

Yeah, I would prefer Adamant, but I'm not rebreeding Dratini right now. I guess I can do something like 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe or 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 speed.

As long as it can get a few Dragon Dances, it should be useful. I'll EV train the Dratini tonight :D

From the Smogon OU Dragonite analysis:

252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly is a faster spread that, after two Dragon Dances, outpaces Adamant Excadrill in the sand and Venusaur carrying Hidden Power Fire in the sun.

Other than that nothing really of importance is mentioned that you would need to outspeed/would be outspeeding, and you aren't going to be seeing Chlorophyll Venusaur at any time in the subway. I have seen Sand Rush Excadrill that ran Sand Storm/Swords Dance though and swept me, which was fun cause I wasn't expecting the computer to have such a good set up.

I've got Stockpile on my Gastrodon. Before set up certain pokemon are threats, after set up nothing can drop it except a crit from a Grass move. Stockpile once or twice, Recover, Stockpile for a third time and you are almost invincible.

Yeah, I really wish the Everstone had worked on that Dratini and it would have been Adamant. I went through the Smogon page, I guess max HP and Speed should work out alright. I will also have to train a clone of that Dratini with max Attack and Speed for Choice Band or Offensive DD, but Bulky DD seems like a safe bet for the Battle Subway.

Your Gastrodon set is cool, but I may try it without Stockpile so I can get another attack in there or something. Either way, we'll be using the same Gastrodon :p

You could always try with a Bulky DD Gyarados, or RestTalk Shuffler if Dragonite doesn't work out how you plan. Gastrodon is still taking the Thunderbolts, and you've got your flier.

The best part about using Gastrodon is that the computer will sit there and hit you with Water Pulse or Aqua Tail till you kill them. Free boosts, yes please!

If you need help or need to add it to the list of things to be shifted, I just realized I shifted it without all the egg moves, so I'll need the baby anyway.

You could always try with a Bulky DD Gyarados, or RestTalk Shuffler if Dragonite doesn't work out how you plan. Gastrodon is still taking the Thunderbolts, and you've got your flier.

The best part about using Gastrodon is that the computer will sit there and hit you with Water Pulse or Aqua Tail till you kill them. Free boosts, yes please!

If you need help or need to add it to the list of things to be shifted, I just realized I shifted it without all the egg moves, so I'll need the baby anyway.

Assuming that you mean a gyara with rest/sleep talk/dtail or roar/waterfall by "resttalk shuffler",I have to say that it won't work in the subway,since nobody is gonna set up entry hazards which make this set effective.

Alright, so I did a little testing with the new configuration. Other than getting my Gastrodon PP Stalled by a Mean Look Coffinghost, things went pretty well. Maybe I need to figure out a new set for Gastrodon, though. I'll update the first post with the new team! Dragonite has been MONEY. I wish he was Adamant, but he can set up on all kinds of stuff. Once he has a few boosts almost nothing can survive Outrage.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom