• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Tree Difficulty Spike?

I had a Lightning Rod Marowak against an Eelektross. The Eelektross never stopped using Thunder Wave.

I just had a horribly long battle in Super Singles.
The opponent's last pokemon was regular Muk, and I had a borrowed Toxapex left as my last.
After a few Scald attacks, the Muk was burned, but unfortunately it was also holding the Black Sludge... so the burn damage was pointless.
That was my only attack.
So after a series of Stockpiles and Swallows ... the Muk eventually ran out of moves before my borrowed Toxapex did, and Struggled itself to death.

That took over 30 minutes -.-

Blue beat me in regular Doubles.
I have to restart from.scratch.

And Latios isn't banned?.
"Minor" legendaries are not, and have never been, banned.

You have access to Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Suicune, Raikou, Entei, the Regis, the Latis, the Pixies, Heatran, Cresselia, the Musketeers, the Genies, and the Tapus.

I just had a horribly long battle in Super Singles.
The opponent's last pokemon was regular Muk, and I had a borrowed Toxapex left as my last.
After a few Scald attacks, the Muk was burned, but unfortunately it was also holding the Black Sludge... so the burn damage was pointless.
That was my only attack.
So after a series of Stockpiles and Swallows ... the Muk eventually ran out of moves before my borrowed Toxapex did, and Struggled itself to death.

That took over 30 minutes -.-
Same but my gliscor knocked it off. My longer one was against cofagerous which kept spamming rest until it ran out had to keep toxic on hold until it did so I kept using haze and scald

All I have left is Roserade, paralysed and with red HP and is paralysed. Out comes Vespiquen, I'm like "yep I lose". However... it has only Defend Order, Toxic, Healing Order and Protect. When I put it to sleep I'm parahaxed most of the time and it just heals itself. 50 billion turns later it kills itself with struggle whilst all I had left was one Extrasensory and a few Sleep Powder. Also it got three protects off in a row

I wanted to kill myself

All I have left is Roserade, paralysed and with red HP and is paralysed. Out comes Vespiquen, I'm like "yep I lose". However... it has only Defend Order, Toxic, Healing Order and Protect. When I put it to sleep I'm parahaxed most of the time and it just heals itself. 50 billion turns later it kills itself with struggle whilst all I had left was one Extrasensory and a few Sleep Powder. Also it got three protects off in a row

I wanted to kill myself
Was your Roserade holding a Black Sludge or something? Because you said it had red HP so idk how it survived the Struggle attacks...?

Regardless, congratulations on the win :)

Was your Roserade holding a Black Sludge or something? Because you said it had red HP so idk how it survived the Struggle attacks...?

Regardless, congratulations on the win :)

I used all my Giga Drains on it during the 50 billion turns so by the time it wanted to Struggle I had orange HP (because double resist+max spec def with the defend order meant the Giga Drains only did like 5 damage)

As for items, my Roserade uses a Focus Sash as I use it as my Sleep Powder lead

Last edited:
Defeated Colress, but just barely. I got really lucky because my Mega Salamence was paralyzed but I manged to defeat all of his team which consisted of Mega Metagross, Magnezone, Porygon 2 and Porygon Z. If any of them had Ice Beam, I would have lost that battle. So, now I am on my 11th battle in the Super challenge. I just want a Charizardite Y and they're making it harder than it has to be. ;.;

Defeated Colress, but just barely. I got really lucky because my Mega Salamence was paralyzed but I manged to defeat all of his team which consisted of Mega Metagross, Magnezone, Porygon 2 and Porygon Z. If any of them had Ice Beam, I would have lost that battle. So, now I am on my 11th battle in the Super challenge. I just want a Charizardite Y and they're making it harder than it has to be. ;.;
Uh.....what?

You get Charizardite Y (along with X, Venusaurite, and Blastoisinite) by defeating Red in the Single Battle challenge. Not in doubles and not in the super challenge.

Uh.....what?

You get Charizardite Y (along with X, Venusaurite, and Blastoisinite) by defeating Red in the Single Battle challenge. Not in doubles and not in the super challenge.
Ahh... you're right. :LOL: Just beat singles with Red and got all the Kanto Mega Stones. Was playing doubles. Assumed both Red and Blue were in the same challenge along the way (needs to read strategy guides more often),

Ahh... you're right. :LOL: Just beat singles with Red and got all the Kanto Mega Stones. Was playing doubles. Assumed both Red and Blue were in the same challenge along the way (needs to read strategy guides more often),
You face Red in Singles, Blue in Doubles, and both together in Multi.

While on the subject of getting through the Super Doubles battles, the people in this thread are not kidding how much it caters to the competitive scene. I have a 31 win streak for Super Doubles (because I was not paying attention to guides and was looking out for Red when he can't even be found in Doubles to begin with) but that's only because: 1.) I bred for competitive Pokemon and maxed their IVs with Bottle Caps 2.) Got their EVs maxed out 3.) Used a Mega Stone, and 4.) Had a Z-Move available. It shouldn't be that hard from the beginning. I got matched with a Tyranitar and Hippowdon on my first battle. That's unbelievable. I got a 100+ win streak in the Battle Facility in Gen IV with that kind of power (without the Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, of course) but it shouldn't be that way from the beginning at a battle facility of the generation.

I wish Game Freak would balance just having fun with the competitive scene like in Gen IV Platinum and HGSS. =/ More bang for your buck and everyone is happy.

I just want to know who was the diabolic mind at GameFreak that decided it was a good idea to have the NPCs use Pokemon specifically to counter yours.
I'm convinced this has to be an actual mechanic, it happens far too often to be a coincidence.

I just want to know who was the diabolic mind at GameFreak that decided it was a good idea to have the NPCs use Pokemon specifically to counter yours.
I'm convinced this has to be an actual mechanic, it happens far too often to be a coincidence.
Eh. Just as often, I've found them throwing Slurpuffs against my Scizor.

I wasn't entirely convinced this was the case before, but now I am. I had moderate success using Tapu Bulu/Heatran/mega Sharpedo, and ever time I faced Guzma, he had a Toxicroak. Every time I lost with that team it was to a Toxicroak or Accelgor, so I switched mega Sharpedo for mega Metagross. I failed to take into account the stacked weaknesses to fire (technically I had no fire resists or immunity before abilities, since Heatran carries flash fire), so suddenly I was seeing Blaziken, Charizard, and sun teams running around. I rarely saw a sun team before I started using Metagross and not once had I seen any Blaziken sets.

This tells me two things. One is that the AI doesn't account for your ability when throwing teams at you and that it will throw at least a few teams at you that are specifically designed to exploit a shared weakness.

I teamed up with a friend to help her with regular Multi, but Battle Tree decided to be mean and had the first opponents carry a Garchomp and a PorygonZ. I repeat: this was regular Multi, not super Multi. At least Battle Maison had some mercy and let us battle against unevolved mons in the regulars :/ We struggled around with our pokemon selection until we settled with a Tapu Fini, Pachirisu, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc (Midnight) combination.... which was after the second time we got sent back to the entrance due to losing. In the team selection process, we got rid of Muddy Water and replaced it with Surf because the AI hated us so much and kept missing attacks.

Last edited:
I'm glad that the Battle Tree isn't a pushover, it's what made the Maison disappointing and it's inclusion in the Hoenn games even more so. I've gone up against Red and Blue in Supers multiple times and I've been fairly split between wins and losses against them.

I've got up to 45 wins this one is definitely tougher than the other ones. I just don't know why I haven't beaten it yet.

I have great pokemon all very well trained and what would seem to be a solid strategy, but it always beats me with hax, (like flinching, para hax etc.).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom