• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Tree Difficulty Spike?

I've borrowed an Alolan Ninetales before and I found it really impressive. I'm currently breeding one.

I got through regular singles using Froslass with Focus Sash/Destiny Bond and Staraptor with Life Orb (Back-up was Mega Metagross). I'm currently gathering BP for the Choice Band.

I've been using a team of Choice Band Scizor, Lum Berry Dragonite (Multiscale), and Mega Venusaur for the Single battles and its been working out really well for me.

I used it to beat the Single Battle and now I'm 15 battles into Super Singles and I haven't really struggled at all. The only mild issue is the shared Fire weakness between Scizor/Venusaur and the shared Ice weakness between Venusaur/Dragonite, but once you Mega Evolve, that all becomes moot. Switching into Fire/Ice attacks is really the only problem.

I hit a win streak of 38 in Super Singles with my favorite XY trio. All PKMN are personally bred with 5-6 IV and maxed out EV.

Greninja
Timid
Protean
@ Life Orb

-U-Turn
-Hydro Pump
-Extrasensory
-Ice Beam

Aegislash
Adamant
Stance Change
@Focus Sash

-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head

Charizard
Modest
Drought
@Charizardite Y

-Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse
-Air Slash
-Solar Beam

Team is legit, Super Singles was easy. Once the other trainers start throwing down Mega's it gets tougher. The fact that Super Singles has Mega's for each trainer after a certain point and any worthwhile online opponent uses them makes me LOL at people saying its an old thing that won't be revisited in future games. Everyone builds their team around them, so to not expand that team anchor list seems ludicrous.

Welp, a Bisharp completely slaughtered the team I rented, which has Alolan Ninetales, Mega Gyarados, and Alolan Marowak. So much for the 25 streak win...

Update: 40 Wins and counting with my team. Anabel scared me a little when she led with that Raikou of hers. Luckily Scizor was able to take her Z-Thunderbolt and U-Turn out to Dragonite, who setup a Dragon Dance with impunity and proceeded to wreck her. This team is really solid thus far. I'll post the sets below.

Scizor@Choice Band
Technician
Adamant Nature
HP: 248/Atk: 252/Sp. Def: 8
-U-Turn
-Knock Off
-Superpower
-Bullet Punch

This is the lead. She's great because of her strong U-Turns and Bullet Punches. Steel is resisted by very little, actually. So BP usually takes care of the enemy lead. If you find an opening to summon D-Nite or M-Saur, you can use U-Turn to switch out with momentum and do some damage on the opponent. Scizor's list of resistances is awesome too. The only problem is when the opponent leads with a Fire type. In which case, you switch into...

Dragonite@Lum Berry
Multiscale
HP: 4/Atk: 252/Spe: 252
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Extreme Speed

Sure, the setup may be basic, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Multiscale usually guarantees at least one turn of setup, and that's usually all you need to start wrecking shit. She gets really good coverage with Outrage and Earthquake (can handle Fire types that annoy Scizor) and E-Speed is good priority for safely finishing off weakened foes.

Venusaur@Venusaurite
Overgrow
HP: 252/Def: 252/Sp. Atk: 4
-Synthesis
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Sleep Powder

I transferred him from LeafGreen, hence the Overgrow. If you can get one with Chlorophyll, that might be situationally better, if only to take advantage of the rare times the opponent sets up the sun. I mean, it's a big 'if' but it's still more useful than Overgrow. Anyway, the big thing about Venu is that he's the team's weak point until he Mega Evolves. Once evolved, however, MVenu can tank a surprising amount of punishment. He actually stalled out Cynthia's Milotic's Ice Beams and didn't give a fuck about Glaceon's Frost Breaths, just to give you an idea. The power of Mega Evolution guarantees Venusaur hits for decent damage even when uninvested, and the tankiness of the defensive build is phenomenal. The only minor point of note is that I haven't really needed to use Synthesis very much. Giga Drain usually gets me what I want. I'm considering switching it for Leech Seed, actually.

Anyway, once I actually learn how to rent Pokemon out, I'll put this team up for rent so other people can try it out. It's been working really well for me so far. The three of them cover each other's weaknesses pretty well (Venu needs to Mega Evolve first though.) Venu laughs at Fairy and Rock types that threaten Nite. Scizor also handles those, as well as Ice types. Nite's Equake scares off Fire types that threaten Scizor. Scizor's U-Turn takes down Psychic types that Venu doesn't like. The three of them have surprising synergy together.

Last edited:
I'm digging your Venusaur set, I just bred one myself. I wasn't sure how to set it up, though, and blew it. Max EV in SA and SD. Dumb. It does have Chlorophyll though. And I agree if you switch Synthesis with Leech Seed, far better. Synthesis Saur is good for doubles. Pair a Chlorophyll one with Charizard Y and have fun. Let Zard attack, use Saur for status and keep using sunlight synthesis.

Pretty annoying when they throw out Pokemon to counter you... every time. Using a Garchomp, Toucannon and Roserade? ENJOY 9000 ICE TYPES!
Guys, look, this one dumbass is using a Whimsicott with Prankster. QUICKLY, THROW IN AAAALLL OF THE DARK TYPES.
Don't forget to put some pokemons with fighting moves, because he has two pokemon that are weak to it.
Also, he has Trick room on his team. QUICK, THROW IN SHUCKLE, SNORLAX AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT IS EVEN SLOWER THAN WHAT HE HAS!

I used to go in with a monotype Electric team and always wound up facing an all Ground-type team within the few five matches of a Super Double.

Guys, look, this one dumbass is using a Whimsicott with Prankster. QUICKLY, THROW IN AAAALLL OF THE DARK TYPES.
Don't forget to put some pokemons with fighting moves, because he has two pokemon that are weak to it.
Also, he has Trick room on his team. QUICK, THROW IN SHUCKLE, SNORLAX AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT IS EVEN SLOWER THAN WHAT HE HAS!
This is how I feel at the battle tree. The npcs lose and have a meeting about what the next one should send against me based on what I'd struggle with. Rising star Marsha: "I noticed he only has special attackers on his team." Punk guy Dylan: "hey, I think I have a Blissey somewhere."

This is how I feel at the battle tree. The npcs lose and have a meeting about what the next one should send against me based on what I'd struggle with. Rising star Marsha: "I noticed he only has special attackers on his team." Punk guy Dylan: "hey, I think I have a Blissey somewhere."
You can cover a lot of your weaknesses with role compression.

Don't have all special attackers, throw in a physical attacker just to handle the special walls. Have Pokemon that cover each other's weaknesses, so on.

You can cover a lot of your weaknesses with role compression.

Don't have all special attackers, throw in a physical attacker just to handle the special walls. Have Pokemon that cover each other's weaknesses, so on.
Yes, thank you, I know how to team build. Sometimes I just play around with stuff that I feel like using, rather than what I know will win.

Sometimes I also laugh at how easy it can be, though, as well. Well, no, easy isn't the right term. I went in with drizzle pelipper and plusle. PLUSLE. Got to like 38 before losing.

The kind of people in this thread are why Game Freak decided that there was no demand for a return of the battle frontier in ORAS.

A lot of you also don't seem to understand that the battle tree doesn't cheat, you're just playing with statistics. With 50 battles you're gonna get "haxed" eventually, your dragon dance multiscale dragonite might help you win a lot of battles but if at battle 42 you lose to choice scarf mr. mime lead you come to this thread to complain about how the npc cheated and brought the ONE counter (not counting choice scarf aerodactyl/garchomp/darmanitan/terrakion, focus sash aggron/golem/abomasnow/glaceon/rhyperior or anything with ice shard) to your amazing team. But in the battle tree you can't expect every roll of the dice to go your way, if you use a pokemon with fire blast or play rough you're going to miss eventually which might lose you the whole game, if your team is hard-countered by a pokemon there is a good chance you will run into it eventually and have to start all over from the beginning. In fact, every time your opponent outspeeds you you've put yourself at risk of being critted and losing your streak which is why most teams use a form of speed control.

The kind of people in this thread are why Game Freak decided that there was no demand for a return of the battle frontier in ORAS.

A lot of you also don't seem to understand that the battle tree doesn't cheat, you're just playing with statistics. With 50 battles you're gonna get "haxed" eventually, your dragon dance multiscale dragonite might help you win a lot of battles but if at battle 42 you lose to choice scarf mr. mime lead you come to this thread to complain about how the npc cheated and brought the ONE counter (not counting choice scarf aerodactyl/garchomp/darmanitan/terrakion, focus sash aggron/golem/abomasnow/glaceon/rhyperior or anything with ice shard) to your amazing team. But in the battle tree you can't expect every roll of the dice to go your way, if you use a pokemon with fire blast or play rough you're going to miss eventually which might lose you the whole game, if your team is hard-countered by a pokemon there is a good chance you will run into it eventually and have to start all over from the beginning. In fact, every time your opponent outspeeds you you've put yourself at risk of being critted and losing your streak which is why most teams use a form of speed control.
I've played around Battle tree a bunch. I used to go leading with M-Metagross. You know how many times I fought a Salazzle or Arcanine lead? I don't know either, because I'd get tired of counting.
I made a team for this online competition that will be happening this month. Decided to try around on the Battle Tree, understand my weakness and all. On about 20 battles, I found SO many pokemon I had never seen on the Battle Tree, specially a bunch of dark types, to specifically counter my Prankster Whimsicott.
I think the only rolls that happen is to decide which trainer will be chosen to battle the player. The pokemon are decided almost specifically to counter the player. It's too much coincidence to be simply RNG being a bit of a meany.

Met Colress again, and re-scouted him (because his Metagross was so fail). I think I did a good job: He's got an Eviolite Porygon2, and it's doing fairly well.

The counter typing is why I dominate with my team. Very varied type attacks, special and physical attackers, plus Protean Greninja is unaccounted for.

The battle tree AI seems to be more advanced compared to the previous games.

Don't get me wrong it is fun to play and at some point I would love to get to at least 50 win. I have found that the AI knows what move you are going to select once you have selected it, and will play the best move to counter your strategy. It makes this pretty obvious however, and that kinda makes you feel like the game itself is cheating.

Don't get me wrong it is fun to play and at some point I would love to get to at least 50 win. I have found that the AI knows what move you are going to select once you have selected it, and will play the best move to counter your strategy. It makes this pretty obvious however, and that kinda makes you feel like the game itself is cheating.
Nooot always...
Was running a team with Tapu Fini, and whenever I brought her out, the AI would always spam Swagger or COnfuse Ray on me, even though Misty Terrain protects against status.
Maybe they DO read the moves too, but they are definitely not ready for ability effects.

Nooot always...
Was running a team with Tapu Fini, and whenever I brought her out, the AI would always spam Swagger or COnfuse Ray on me, even though Misty Terrain protects against status.
Maybe they DO read the moves too, but they are definitely not ready for ability effects.

Yeah definitely I have also used Tapu Fini and Minior, which both can avoid status ailments, and the AI doesn't seem to recognise this, but I think that's the chip in it's armor, which I have exploited. At the moment I am running Ninetales Alolan\Snow Warning, Eevee\Eevium Z, Metagross\Weakness Policy. Seems to be working very well for me on battle 35.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom