• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Tree Thread

How do you find the battle tree?

• Completely Unreasonable, couldn't handle normal battles

• Prett Hard, I beat 20 in Normal battles, but super battles are just ridiculous

• Difficult, I'm about halfway through Super, but keep getting walled by something

• Okay, I beat a Super battles contest, but only just

• Easy, I'm well past 90 in my streak

• Well, I beat all 3 Super Battle Types, but that doesn't make it easy.

• This facility was a joke, I've already beaten all 3 super battle types and make high streaks

Results are only viewable after voting.
That sounds really similar to what happened to me (on round 46 I think). I've been using a team of Mimikyu, Tapu Lele, and Mega Gyardos. Usually things are pretty smooth and it's not uncommon for Mimikyu to take out all 3 of the opponent's Pokémon. This one trainer though really caught me off guard. He leads with Landorus, which I assume is gonna be fast, so instead of swords dancing with Mimikyu, I use my Z-move (ghost) right off the bat figuring I might as well do as much damage as I can then see if I can get it with shadow sneak. However much to my surprise, I'm faster than it. So my Z-move is gone and it breaks disguise. He then switches it out and brings out Registeel, which I figure should be easy for gyarados to set up on. I leave Mimikyu in, figuring it would be better than switching gyarados into any damage. It uses rock polish and knocks out Mimikyu the next turn. Then I make the mistake of mega evolving with Gyarados, and out of nowhere it uses Z-superpower, OHKOing me. Of course, Tapu Lele didn't stand a chance. Oh well, I'll watch out for that next time.

So, I actually got all the stamps for the Battle Tree.

Singles and Super Singles was a cakewalk. I honestly found myself disappointed with how easy it was. My team was Choice Banded Scizor, Mega Venusaur, and D-Dance Dragonite.

Doubles and Super Doubles was a tad bit harder cuz I'm not used to playing in that format. I finally won with basically the same team as above, but I replaced my MegaSaur with ChloroSaur instead and threw in MegaZard Y. Zard provided the sunlight which Saur then took advantage of. Scizor was mostly used as a scout and to punch holes into the enemy's defense before getting sacrificed for a safe switch-in. DNite was just a very balanced Pokémon. Again, this one was harder.

Multi was the hardest at first. My partners were all useless. By the time I had recruited Colress, I just couldn't bring myself to care. At any rate, I did eventually beat Super Multi (Red and Blue make a surprisingly bad team.) I used several combinations of Pokémon for this one, including the four above mentioned and a MegaStoise for a bit, but two that I found surprisingly consistent were Mimikyu and Decidueye. Mimikyu isn't that shocking cuz I already knew it was a good Pokémon, but Decidueye shocked me with how many wins she got.

I tried again using Banded Bulu, Bloom Doom Heatran, and Mega Blastoise. We made it to round 44, where the opponent led with Thundurus. This time it was a physical set, and Heatran beat it, but only with a little help from Wild Charge's recoil. Heatran was then too weak to do anything, and Bulu and Blastoise got swept aside by his other two Pokemon. Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess.

I found a way to utilize the useless AI Garchomps from Wally, Cynthia, etc. Well... more like, I only recently realized I've been stupid not to try this strategy in the first place when all of Battle Spot has been praising its usefulness:

Pairing Garchomp with Tapu Koko.

So I borrowed a QR team with Specs-Tapu Koko and Assault Vest-Arcanine, and picked Cynthia (as much as I did not want to pair up with her, I had replaced Wally's Garchomp with an Altaria that had an utterly horrible moveset involving Sing and Dream Eater), despite my outburst just a few posts prior in this thread. Mind, I only thought about testing this to see how far I'd go in Super Multis.

With her scarfed-Garchomp and Wide Lens-Milotic, I spammed Discharge over and over if the opponents weren't Ground-typed. With Electric Terrain in effect, it dealt a huge amount of damage (with additional Paralysis by luck). If the opponents were Ground-type, I'd use Dazzling Gleam or switch out. If Cynthia's Garchomp died and Milotic needed to join the field, I'd switch as well so I wouldn't hurt it.

Tapu Koko was pretty much dominating all over. However, the only downside to this was that Cynthia's Garchomp would sometimes use Earthquake and kill off both my pokemon - which eventually led to our downfall at the 43rd streak (WE WERE SO CLOSE TO GETTING 50!)

But it did give me an idea on how to take on the Battle Tree. Next time, I'll bring a Tapu Koko that knows Protect with a different held item.
and someone else's Garchomp

A few days ago I finally beat Super Multi! All I had to do was ditch my Togekiss strategy (you did good Dovely) for some good ol' Mega Salamence brute force. I also switched my Mega Lucario in the back for Tapu Lele. My partner is still Kiawe with Mega Kangaskhan and Alolan Marowak.

Mega Salamence (still needs a nickname) @ Salamencite
Intimidate -> Aerialate
Jolly, Max Attack and Max Speed
-Protect
-Return
-Rock Slide
-Crunch

It's kind of the same idea as before using a Flying-type to avoid Kangaskhan's Earthquake and defeat any Fighting-types that threaten Kangaskhan. I gave it Crunch because Kangaskhan has a horrible habit of trying to knock out Ghost-types with Sucker Punch even though most of them like to play defensively. Rock Slide is just a nice coverage move and can potentially flinch both opposing Pokemon.

Tapu Lele (Psychorider) @ Psychicium Z
Psychic Surge
Timid, Max Special Attack and Max Speed
-Psychic
-Moonblast
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt

I chose Tapu Lele because it was one of the strongest special attackers I had and Psychic Terrain would protect Marowak from priority moves like Sucker Punch. With Shattered Psyche I would nuke any leftovers Salamance and Kangaskhan didn't already weaken.

Like with Super Doubles a lot of the trouble came from in the forties when the Battle Tree starts using strong Pokemon like legendaries. At Battle 45 I believe I almost lost the streak because our last Pokemon Tapu Lele kept getting flinched by their last Pokemon Greninja using Rock Slide. Down to 2 HP I was finally able to get off a Moonblast and prayed that Greninja wasn't holding a Focus Sash.

I actually fumbled in the fiftieth battle and didn't hit the Mega Evolve button leading Salamence to get knocked out before it could make a move by Red's Mega Charizard. It was pretty scary since Blue led with his Machamp. I still ended up winning that one. You can check it out for yourself here: MNKG-WWWW-WWW9-375X.

Looking back I guess I kinda imposed an unnecessary restriction on myself by trying to have an equal number of physical and special attackers on my side. It doesn't really matter it turns out. Also I think that my previous strategy with Togekiss was to reliant on trying to control the luck factor of the Battle Tree and making sure that every move hit its mark. I guess a better way to handle that might be to quickly destroy the opponents with overwhelming force :p

All that I have now is to ask myself: Do I really want to take like a hundred photos to get that last passport stamp?

Last edited:
Super Multi:
I tried another strategy which worked with a Dancer with Mega Salamence and Entei. I used a borrowed team of Golisopod and Umbreon. Things were actually going pretty well up until the 28th battle.

Long story short, after the Dancer's two pokemon were killed off by the opponent's regular Salamence, I had Golispod take care of the Salamence and it was forced to retreat after a hit from a Drifblim. Umbreon was out so I happily pressed Foul Play.

The Drifblim moved first and used Destiny Bond. Umbreon was killed, and the next pokemon was Gengar, which promptly finished off Golispod. If only the stupid Drifblim hadn't used Destiny Bond...

Well, I finally beat the Single Battle mode in the Battle Tree. I know, I'm a little late to the party, but it took me a while to find the right team. Playing around with different combinations and testing them out AND finally succeeding was really rewarding, even if everyone else has already done it. To tell the truth I've been afraid to try taking it on again since my only (disastrous) attempt last year. The Battle Tree is brutal, there's no other word for it.

Mega Banette was definitely my MVP. Here's the set if any of you want to use it.

Mega Haxette
Ability: Frisk
Held item: Banettite
Moveset:
Will-O-Wisp
Thunder Wave
Attract
Hex

Thanks to the fact that Mega Pokemon now get access to their ability on the turn they Mega Evolve, Mega Banette is an absolute beast. It's an excellent lead with Frisk as it's non-mega ability as it allows you to scope out your opponents held item and often helped me predict their strategy. Having both Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave allowed me to choose which way to cripple an opponent - Speed or Attack - as well as that chance for full Paralysis or chip damage from Burn. Attract was incredibly useful when I came up against a male Pokemon. The only problems this set has is against Dark and Normal type Pokemon. Dark is obviously now immune to Prankster-boosted moves and resists Hex anyway, so I usually had to switch out. Normal type Pokemon I could at least status-cripple and then switch out to a Pokemon that could handle them better. It's a good idea to have a Fighting-type handy for Dark and Normal types. Other than that I just status on the first turn and then nuke them with Hex. Easy breezy lemon squeezy.

Mega Banette also managed to sweep Red's entire team of male Pokemon. Never even had to bring out the rest of my team.

Last edited:
I decided to retry Super Doubles because I wanted more recruits for Super Multi....

... and I kid you not, I am currently on my 73rd win streak with my team. I'll post a battle vid when I lose, but I have a good feeling I might be able to get to 100 (if I'm lucky).

My team is this:
1. Hawlucha (nickname: Rei)
Unburden. Electric Seed.
Drain Punch
Poison Jab
Acrobatics
Roost

2. Tapu Koko (event)
Electric Terrain. Life Orb
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot
Dazzling Gleam
Protect

3. Mimikyu (WT'd)
Disguise. Fairy-Z
Destiny Bond
Shadow Sneak
Swords Dance
Play Rough

4. Lopunny (nickname: Klavier)
Cute Charm. Mega Stone Lopunnite
Fake Out
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Drain Punch

So basically, I send out Tapu Koko and Hawlucha first, and then the Electric Seed is consumed: raising defense, doubling speed, and doubling Acrobatics' power immediately. The point of Hawlucha is to weaken as many pokemon as possible since it always moves first (except when there's priority moves incoming). I gave him Drain Punch because I don't want to risk damage from Hi Jump Kick missing. Roost is for healing and foiling SE attacks for extra survival. Tapu Koko usually moves second and takes out the weakened pokemon. Mimikyu and Mega Lopunny are backups since they can each extend survival with the help of Disguise and Fake Out. Then they go for the (over)kill with a Swords Dance'd Twinkle Tackle and the rest of the punching moves.

The trainers who gave me serious trouble were the ones carrying the Regis, the Lake trio, and Raikou. But I survived :)

Last edited:
I decided to retry Super Doubles because I wanted more recruits for Super Multi....

... and I kid you not, I am currently on my 73rd win streak with my team. I'll post a battle vid when I lose, but I have a good feeling I might be able to get to 100 (if I'm lucky).

My team is this:
1. Hawlucha (nickname: Rei)
Unburden. Electric Seed.
Drain Punch
Poison Jab
Acrobatics
Roost

2. Tapu Koko (event)
Electric Terrain. Life Orb
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot
Dazzling Gleam
Protect

3. Mimikyu (WT'd)
Disguise. Fairy-Z
Destiny Bond
Shadow Sneak
Swords Dance
Play Rough

4. Lopunny (nickname: Klavier)
Cute Charm. Mega Stone Lopunnite
Fake Out
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Drain Punch

So basically, I send out Tapu Koko and Hawlucha first, and then the Electric Seed is consumed: raising defense, doubling speed, and doubling Acrobatics power immediately. The point of Hawlucha is to weaken as many pokemon as possible since it always moves first (except when there's priority moves incoming). I gave him Drain Punch because I don't want to risk damage from Hi Jump Kick missing. Roost is for healing and foiling SE attacks for extra survival. Tapu Koko usually moves second and takes out the weakened pokemon. Mimikyu and Mega Lopunny are backups since they can each extend survival with the help of Disguise and Fake Out. Then they go for the (over)kill with a Swords Dance'd Twinkle Tackle and the rest of the punching moves.

The trainers who gave me serious trouble were the ones carrying the Regis, the Lake trio, and Raikou. But I survived :)
Mind telling us their EV spreads and Natures? :)

Mind telling us their EV spreads and Natures? :)
Sure
Hawlucha
Jolly, 5Vs (no Special Attack), 252 Attack, 252 Speed, the rest Special Defense

Tapu Koko
Timid, 3Vs(in HP, Special Attack, Speed), 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, the rest HP

Mimikyu
Adamant, 4Vs(in HP, Attack, Defense, Speed), 252 Attack, 252 Speed, the rest Defense

Lopunny
Jolly, 5Vs (no Special Attack), 252 Attack, 252 Speed, the rest Defense
This is the current set, but I think I should change things a bit and give Hawlucha some bulk because now that I look at it, he's got way too much Speed EVs than necessary considering the Jolly+Unburden combination XD

Yup, I lost at the 78th battle.

Video Code: 25AW-WWWW-WWW9-8ZLM

The biggest mistake I made was not getting rid of the Gyarados as soon as possible. I thought that the Lanturn was the threat (in case it had Volt Absorb) and while I tried attacking it, the Gyarados mega evolved and Dragon Dance'd, proceeding to kill off my team afterwards with an OHKO'ing Waterfall. The second mistake was when I chose to bring out Mimikyu as third instead of Lopunny, as I forgot that Mold Breaker nullifies Disguise. I don't know if using Fake Out could have done any better, seeing how the paralysis from Lanturn was working pretty well, but at least I could have had a chance.

Too bad I couldn't get 100 wins, but at least I recruited plenty of trainers for Super Multi on the way, including those with legendaries.

I made it to around battle 36 on super singles today, and then lost, purely because my Mega Metagross missed twice in a row. Before that battle, I was wiping out every trainer like they were nothing, and then battle 36 comes along and completely screws me over with unlikely bad luck.

Yup, I lost at the 78th battle.

Video Code: 25AW-WWWW-WWW9-8ZLM

The biggest mistake I made was not getting rid of the Gyarados as soon as possible. I thought that the Lanturn was the threat (in case it had Volt Absorb) and while I tried attacking it, the Gyarados mega evolved and Dragon Dance'd, proceeding to kill off my team afterwards with an OHKO'ing Waterfall. The second mistake was when I chose to bring out Mimikyu as third instead of Lopunny, as I forgot that Mold Breaker nullifies Disguise. I don't know if using Fake Out could have done any better, seeing how the paralysis from Lanturn was working pretty well, but at least I could have had a chance.

Too bad I couldn't get 100 wins, but at least I recruited plenty of trainers for Super Multi on the way, including those with legendaries.
I finally have the pieces to emulate your team! In fact, a perfectly bred Buneary came today in WT full of Egg Moves including Ice punch. The only thing is he doesn't know Fake Out, but I'm going try it without that and see where I go (maybe Encore may be useful for the status spammers?). After breeding everyone else, I'll check back here with the results.

@Kyriaki I just defeated Blue at the 50 Super Double Battle mark. Your team is excellent! Thanks to you, I got a new stamp in my Trainer Pass and learned a new battle style/pose/etc. A few thoughts in case anyone wants to further emulate:

~Mimikyu replaces Destiny Bond with Shadow Claw. I feel that Double Battles (esp. Battle Tree ones) are too fast paced for that kind of tactic. Rather instead, as much damage should be done as possible. Shadow Claw has gotten me important KOs that Shadow Sneak would have been too weak for and Play Rough would have potentially missed or would have been a resistant hit. It's slightly rarer chance to crit is also nice, and it gives Mimikyu a decent Ghost STAB option. Fairium Z/Ghostium Z is a great wallbreaking option, especially after Tapu Koko or Hawlucha have worn something down.
~Like I mentioned earlier, my Lopunny didn't have Fake Out bred onto it. While I know Fake Out has high utility and more usage than Encore, I did use Encore for several fights where the opponent used Protect (like that annoying Shuckle). It gave my team more time to boost with Swords Dance and the like, while inhibiting the opponents (admittedly, I did toy with a few). So it's a usable option, but I wouldn't say it outclasses Fake Out. Also, he didn't use Ice Punch too much, so Power-Up Punch may be a better option. It can boost Mega Lopunny's already high attack and has great synergy with Encore/opponents he can revenge kill.
~I like Tapu Koko's moveset! Especially Grass Knot for hitting Mega Swamperts and Steelixes.
~If you aren't able to boost Hawlucha's attack with Swords Dance (or even Hone Claws), it'll miss several OHKOs unless it's a super effective hit (provided the Pokemon isn't bulky) or the opponent has low defense. My Hawlucha kept Hone Claws, because I wanted to limit the number of misses with High Jump Kick. I'm going to try Swords Dance though, and see how that goes. Also, Jolly Unburden Hawlucha is amazingly fast. There were several matches were it was crippled with Thunder Wave, but still moved right after Tapu Koko and still managed to outspeed both opponents.

The only tricky fights I had were with the flower shirt man who uses bulky fire types and Steelixes. Other than that, things were good!

I finally beat Red at 20 battles in the Normal Singles after losing a couple of times at Battles 12/15/17. I'm not really into competitive but I do like battling in the Battle Tree and using competitive Pokémon there. I only started doing the Battle Tree last week though. Used the same 3 Pokémon for the streak:

- Greninja (Protean, Life Orb)
- Metagross (Assault Vest)
- Mega-Blaziken

Now onto Super Battles, I guess. I mainly wanted it for the Battle Points.

I decided to give super doubles a try, after not having played for a while. I managed to get the stamp my first try with a team of Choice Specs Tapu Lele, Mega Metagross, Z-Draco Meteor Hydreigon, and "Offensive" Assault Vest Celesteela. Metagross and Tapu Lele can plow through most things, Hydreigon is mainly there to take ghost, dark, and fire moves and hopefully kill something. Celesteela was kinda just a random EV-trained pokemon I had, but it did come in handy a few times. I kinda want to try multi, but after Guzma's Bisharp took 4 tries to use it's fighting move on an opposing Bisharp I'm not too enthusiastic about it :/

After giving up on the Battle Tree for a long time, I picked it up again this week, now in UltraMoon. Finally managed to defeat Red at 50 battles in Super Singles. Used just Greninja, Metagross and M-Blaziken in all 50 battles.

I've only mostly done Super Doubles and I've cleared it by a little over 100 twice. Can't remember the exact number since it was a while back but the team i used was.. But the second time did end at the same number as my first run ironically
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Protect

Raichu-Alola @ Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Low Kick

I might have used Adamant Scarf Tyranitar instead of Incineroar but both have been rather effective.. May have also used a Mega Latias.. This team was part of my VGC team with Koko and Alo-Raichu being the main focus :p. Even against ground based teams surprisingly..

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom