• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battling against favorite Pokemon

My favorite Pokemon at the moment is Umbreon and having verse someone recently in Pokemon X (I think back in Victory road?) with a Umbreon I can answer your question :).

Q1: I don't feel emotional about it really I do feel a bit of a "No way, that's my favorite Pokemon" sort of shock haha.

Q2: I don't feel guilty

Q3: I see it as just their Pokemon and not mine although it does feel a bit different as it's a Pokemon I like but it's not much of a thing really to me.

I feel a little sad but ultimately I don't really care.

When a trainer sends out a favorite of mine, I definitely have that initial reaction on "Oh, cool! He/she has a ____!", but I never ever let that break my focus! Chances are, if available in the game I'm playing, I have one of those 'mon myself, and it's trained better and stronger than theirs, so I don't feel guilty. But I commend the trainer/leader/boss who has great taste in team members!!
I pretty much do the same thing. If I see a trainer using a Pokemon that I really like, I just think "Cool, good choice of Pokemon." (Or, if I don't have that particular Pokemon yet, I wonder where they found it so I can get one. ;-))

I think the opposite happens sometimes too, where I start to like a Pokemon more after seeing an important trainer using it.

I usually battle them with the same Pokemon if I have them. I'd say I'm just the type of person who takes them out.
This. When I go up against an Automaton, I use one of my own. My Golurk has taken out a couple of his own because of this.
I faint them because I'm forced too obviously. I'm fairly sure no one finds pleasure in fainting their favourite pokemon.
Yeah, I don't like doing it at all. I flinch a little when I see a Golurk faint, even if it fainted at my hand. I've actually caught myself mumbling, "Sorry, sweetheart."

Yeah, I'm a sap. I admit it.

I have a habit of apologising to some pokemon I like upon defeating them, although it's relative to the pokemon. I'd only feel slightly guilty about taking down an outraging Haxorus, for example, but I would feel extremely bad about having to beat up some cute Vulpix, or something. Then again, I have no reservations about defeating cute pokemon that I don't like, like Pikachu, so I guess it's down to personal preference.

It is never an issue for me. Having a favorite species is not quite the same as having a favorite character in my eyes.
One of my favorites is Scizor. Supposing I caught and raised one I would most likely love him, but only that Scizor in particular and not every single one in the world, so if I crossed paths with one I would have no problems beating it. For me it would be just another one-off character I have to beat.

I get sad when I have to battle Serperiors. I tried Oshawott for the third time I played B2 and I had to battle a Serperior. I mash the A button until the battle's over while closing my eyes. It works.

Since all my favourite Pokemon are legendaries, Aegislash and Rillaboom, I dont see them much. But when I do, I dont really care much since mega Ray for example is so broken I feel satisfied that it's strong enough and hurting its fame once won't hurt. As for Rillaboom I always think that if I destroy an enemy Pokemon that I disliked like Garchomp, I balance out destroying something like Rillaboom.

I kinda get a little excited when I see an opponent with my favorite Pokemon considering that it is rarely used (I believe only one trainer uses Turtonator in all of SwSh), and also a bit jealous as I rarely use it and rarely have it at that point in the game. I don't really feel guilty when defeating one, however.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom