• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battling against favorite Pokemon

Jyo

"Fun tough work taking care of our Eevees." *Purr*
Reaction score
While battling Korrina in the Shalour City gym, this idea/question came to my mind, and in another PokeForum (forgot which one) I was mentioning quickly via VM to another member.

I'm sure at sometime in the game, we will come upon a trainer or gym leader that uses our #1 favorite Pokemon against us (in my mind I'm screaming "Noo! Why!! why must I have to face to [*favorite Pokemon here*]!! It's my favorite of all times!!"). Not the kind of trainer that we can skip, but the one that prevents us from continuing with the story line - either one of the gym trainers we can't skip, or the gym leader (like in my case), or a trainer that is blocking entrance to a cave, or next town.

Main question to answer my curiosity -
• do you ever get emotional when battling against your #1 favorite Pokemon (sort of not wanting to battle it, or let it win but can't continue with the story)?

• does it make it feel 'guilty' about taking it down?

• or are you just the 'taking down another Pokemon, doesn't matter if it's my favorite, just faint it and continue on'- kind of person?

answer my own questions:
I do get a bit emotional when taking down my favorite Pokemon, inside 'I feel guilty about making it faint' - I had to face this guilty feeling with battling Korrina, as she has a Mienfoo - and Mienfoo is my current #1 favorite Pokemon (stealing that spot from Watchog). I didn't want to battle against it.

apologies if its in the wrong section - or if a similar topic existed, couldn't find one - put it in the Video Games section since it could apply to any of the games in all generations

Nah. If the opponent has it, it's obviously corrupted and evil. Although whenever I OHKO any (underdog) Pokemon, I do feel a little guilty for not giving them their chance to shine.

I feel guilty too! Fortunately not many other trainers used Cyndaquil ;D But it happened a few times with Flaaffy. Also, when I battle a Pokemon using the evolved from (for example, my Pidgeot vs. trainer's Pidgeotto) I always think "aww too bad, taken down by your future self"

Yes I do feel guilty about taking out one of my favourites.

But if I need take out Silver's Meganium or Karen's/ Team Flare's Houndoom, then an man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Nah. If the opponent has it, it's obviously corrupted and evil. Although whenever I OHKO any (underdog) Pokemon, I do feel a little guilty for not giving them their chance to shine.
Basically my thoughts for the most part on older favorites. XD

Although I have had a recent favorite who has just utterly stolen away my heart. I do feel kind of guilty when I defeat another trainer's Braixen. (This is in Wi-Fi though, as I haven't really seen anyone in game use one as I chose it, obviously.) If I saw someone using it in game, I'd just kinda be like: "Awww, somebody's using the most adorable awesome Pokemon ever and I have to be rid of it." Would kind of feel the same way about Delphox as well, except in a more: "Aww, I have to defeat this graceful awesome thing." (Not really Fennekin though. I'd just be like: "BURN IT!")

Not really. I mean, they obviously are a danger to my own Pokémon, so fainting them is justified.

Yeah, it's not just my fave though. My fave is Mew and I don't think any trainer has ever used him, but sometimes when I come across Pokemon of a species that I had on one of my teams in a previous game I do get a little nostalgic and I miss using them.

My brother who is a bit younger than me wasn't happy when you get the Lucario that you have the special bond with in Y as he says he has a "special bond" with the Lucario he used in Black2 apparently. So he took the Lucarionite and released the new Lucario and is waiting for Pokemon Bank to bring back his true Lucario. Don't think he has a problem making another Lucario faint though as it's not his Lucario.

I pressed Surf without thinking twice when I went up against Roark's Rampardos in Platinum XD

I don't really care if other trainers use my number one fav. Actually... I WANT to see people using my number one fav because Rampardos is so rare among trainers... ;_;

I immediately faint it for being an inferior peasant compared to the one I have. (My favorite changes often; and most of them are rarer anyway; but in the uncommon incident where this does happen, this is how I feel.)

I don't feel guilty at all, i actualy feel relieved when i faint an opponent's Garchomp because it's a big threat to me if i don't have an ice type move. And actualy i only like my Garchomp.

Yes, I feel badly. All the blasted time.

I cringe each time I take out Shauntal's Golurk and there was that Psychic in Reflection Cave--Franz was his name--who had a Golett and it utterly killed me to take that poor little guy out. I was muttering so many apologies it wasn't even funny. I have never wanted to run from a Trainer battle so badly in my life, truly.

And no, that Golett wasn't evil! He chose that Trainer simply because he hadn't met me first! Why should I punish the poor little sweetheart for that?! :bawl:

I like too many Pokémon to feel guilty over fighting them. Though for a particular few I'll gush over them for a bit before unleashing terror.

Any fight with a snorlax is a good fight, even if it involves one that is not in my care. I personally get some sick twisted pleasure out of using a snorlax to faint another trainer's snorlax :p

When a trainer sends out a favorite of mine, I definitely have that initial reaction on "Oh, cool! He/she has a ____!", but I never ever let that break my focus! Chances are, if available in the game I'm playing, I have one of those 'mon myself, and it's trained better and stronger than theirs, so I don't feel guilty. But I commend the trainer/leader/boss who has great taste in team members!!

I usually battle them with the same Pokemon if I have them. I'd say I'm just the type of person who takes them out.

So many interesting responses..... noticed more than half don't matter.

I'm playing Pokemon Y and I'm about to face Korrina soon.
I don't want to battle (and defeat) that [cute and beautiful] Mienfoo she has.

At all, it's not my poké. Heh, but I feel a little bad, though. It's always sad to take down a sweet cinccino or minccino (luckily not many use them xD), in fact.. It's sad to defeat any cute pokémon. Emolga, eeveelutions and etc o_o.. I'm guilty of loving cute pokés so much <3 xD

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom