• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BBL PoTW #6 Meowstic

Codface

Reaction score
BBL PotW #6 Meowstic

This week Meowstic gets its turn. Meowstic/Espurr the XY Gens house cat pokemon following on from Meowth (gen 1), Skitty (gen 3). Glameow (gen 4) and Purrlion (gen 5) and their evolutions.

Now admit it you want Meowstic on your team if only to have that one pokemon that opponents think “aww cute kitty” or “lol nub using that thing” before it rips their face off and gets you an easy win.

----------------
Singles (6v6)

Set Up Bait Kitty

Meowstic (Male)
Pranksters
Bold
Light Clay
252Hp 252Def 4Mdef
Yawn
Psychic
Light Screen
Reflect

Set Aim: Simply to set up defensive screens for the team. Then yawn just as the opponent gets off their kill shot. This leaves the door right open to bring in whatever you want with either a set up turn while they switch out or a few turns against a sleeping foe. Needless to a say sweep behind screens after having a set up turn is usually successful.

Main Compertition for a spot :-

Klefki has 2 weaknesses, a while host of resists and rather similar stats in defense of 57/91/87. Plus it has two viable builds (the others than Swagger, Twave annoying one grr). Now I aint going to lie Klefki is a better all round screener for a team without an evil kitten based set up plan.

----------------
Singles (3v3)

Singles is a far more aggressive game than 6s. While in 6s you can casually have 'check' and 'counter' pokemon just to deal with certain threats that is not an option here. You need bad ass pokemon that can end lives either through stall or fire power in a 1vs1. Thus Meowstic has to be meaner.

“Yes I two shot your Thundurus Kitty”
Meowstic (M)
Pranksters
252 Satk, 252 Hp, 4 Def (Modest)
Psychic
Yawn
Light Screen
Reflect

A nice addition to your 6 man roster there to be your lead for when the ever so common Thundurus or Mega Khan is on the opponents roster. Thundurus will usually taunt and then realise he is going to get two shot and have to run away or accept death. Mega Khan will kill the kitty but will be turned into drowsy set up bait when it does. It also 1shots Mega Gengar and Mega Blaziken (ofc after screening while it protects :D) and Mega Lucario is two shot. Basically on preview you expect the opponent to be running a high offence team Meowstic is a good opener.

----------------
Doubles (4v4)

Have you ever looked at the usage rankings for doubles? Well if you had you'd see Meowstic way up near the top and for good reason it has everything you could ever want to counter an opposing team or set up. As such I will not be giving an exact moveset as you make choices based on the rest of your team. Basically doubles is this pokemons best arena.

Again for doubles you'll want to run the common Bold set with max investment in Hp and Def (maybe 12 Spd if you run imprison to block other Meowstics). Move choice and held items will vary based on moves run. Mental Herb (counter taunt), Leftovers (longer life) or Light Clay (longer screens) are all viable.

The moves and suggestions:

Misty Terrain: The big reason for Meowstics usage. On a priority this blocks all status for five turns (a 2v2 usually doesnt last over 10 turns so its there a long time) for any ground pokemon. Many teams often run Swagger on Meowstic to boost a partners attack while avoiding confusion to go with this move. Why use this over Safe Guard? It halves Dragon Damage (no more Draco Meteor deaths yay).

Swagger: See above.

Fake Out: Always a decent choice in doubles.

Protect: Again a staple of doubles.

Quick Guard: Blocks all priority against your team. Not as good as wide guard but ruins other pranksters/fake out plans. Not that common but works well with something like Aerodactyle which can do Wide Guard and hates priority moves and does not get Misty Terrain benefits.

Imprison: Again not that common but fun if you also run protect/Misty Terrain to ruin other Meowstics and stops moves being blocked.

Charm: Decreases an opponents Attack two stages. Effectively forces a switch next turn for any attacker or leaves them highly weakened.

Light Screen/Reflect: Again last for most of the game. Always great but taken away by the common brick break.

Trick Room: Unexpected and perhaps done best elsewhere but can be used. Can be run with imprison to shut down any trick room team.

Last edited:
This was quite an eye-opener. I do see Klefki mostly filling this guys role but Meowstic is more versatile in my opinion. The movesets between genders also differ. Apparently the male gets Imprison and Misty Terrain while the female gets Signal Beam and Future Sight just to name a few. I might actually consider using the cat now after this. Maybe both of them since the male seems to be definite to fill support while the female can get more attacking potential with Competitive. Its a shame none of them get a good priority move besides Fake Out. Sucker Punch really isnt gonna cut it on them.

I'll do female sets some point today. In general prankster males are the way to go for viability.

As youvsaid female meowstic has its uses. Plus its always best to have a back up female build for when you hatch a shiny and want to use it :p

Last edited:
I thought you would never do one one Meowstic, so I am :)
Good Female Set
Meowstic (f) @Wide Lends
Infiltrator
252spAtk,252spd,6hp
Fake out
Charge Beam
Psychic
Dark Pulse
While not as good as male meowstic wall setters, females are good attackers and with their ability infiltrator they can cut through reflect, light screen, and substitute (so all the bulky walls, giving it a good chance in competitive battling, ecpesally doubles, sense there is almost always a wall on one side in double battles). The wide lends are for charge beam, so it has 100% acc.

Nice to see some Female Meowstic love :)

Ideally you'd want to drop that speed down to about 244IV as that maintains its position in the speed table relative to everything else while giving it a little extra Hp. Plus all your moves can be had on a Male meowstic.

Move wise I prefer a choice scarf set with trick and three attacks. That way you can revenge kill weakened targets or disable set up or defensive pokemon on a switch. Infiltrator would be prefered here to ruin Substitue users. Signal beam should so be used otherwise you might as well be a male and is nice for hurting dark types and is her only real weapon against them.

Other options are to build a Calm Mind/Reflect boost build for stored power spam but with the only proper status/hp recovery being rest it would be totally vulnerable to one of dark types or being worn down. Still get those out the way and more dangerous than Sigilyph.

Competitive is not great in singles due to very limited chances but in doubles it can be used. Infiltrator is pretty much always prefered for singles.

A better female set is

Meowstic@ Life Orb
Modest/Timid
Infiltrator
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

Calm Mind
Psyshock/Psychic
Shadow Ball
Signal Beam

I think Competitive can be used pretty well in singles still. Although Infiltrator is still pretty great, there's plenty of chances to set up a +2 SpAtk boost. Its probably because that its overlooked that people wont think of holding off on their Defog when they see a Meowstic and bam. Switch in on a Defog and your good. Although it seems like Mandibuzz would kill Meowstic with Foul Play/Knock Off, Meowstic can walk in with +2 Charge Beam, surviving one Knock Off (assuming standard Mandibuzz) and moving onto another Charge Beam which looks like this.

+3 252 SpA Meowstic Charge Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 212-250 (50 - 58.9%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Not accounting the +2 Charge Beam that already hit)

I probably wouldnt run the Wide Lens for Charge Beam, and this calculation isnt even with a Life Orb.

It's just the set I like and use in game, many because I like charge beam and giving it 100% acc and it's ok in the metagame.
For the next discussion could you do Azumarill, please?

By the way BAKola, life orb on meows it is horrable (being that it has low hp)

Other options are to build a Calm Mind/Reflect boost build for stored power spam but with the only proper status/hp recovery being rest it would be totally vulnerable to one of dark types or being worn down. Still get those out the way and more dangerous than Sigilyph.
:O Blasphemy against Sigilyph!

I might lean towards Infiltrator after being reminded that it's Meowstic's regular Ability, I agree Competitive does have a narrow window.

:O Blasphemy against Sigilyph!

I might lean towards Infiltrator after being reminded that it's Meowstic's regular Ability, I agree Competitive does have a narrow window.
Someone agrees with me (yays) image.jpg
No one can ruin the swag :)!

It's just the set I like and use in game, many because I like charge beam and giving it 100% acc and it's ok in the metagame.

It is far from horrible, a life orb can be used to clean up or sweep. If you get a couple calm mind boosts you can kill a lot of things. Pulling of a successful sweep with Meowstic pretty much requires life orb, and if you sweep right hp won't be in issue. Also charge beam is in my opinion only for very niche sets Meowstic needs the coverage moves far more.

It is far from horrible, a life orb can be used to clean up or sweep. If you get a couple calm mind boosts you can kill a lot of things. Pulling of a successful sweep with Meowstic pretty much requires life orb, and if you sweep right hp won't be in issue. Also charge beam is in my opinion only for very niche sets Meowstic needs the coverage moves far more.
Did you forget its bad hp :(, it just makes it die faster

Sweepers as I said in my previous posts don't need great hp. The only time you should worry about meowstic's hp is if your running a utility set.

I like longtivity, especially on pokemon with LOW hp. Life orb is much better on infernape.

Infernapes almost has the SAME EXACT HP as Meowstic. No bull. Ive gotta agree and say Life Orb is made for low HP Pokemon like both of them. They dont come defensive so theyre not guaranteed to survive any hits without support or boosting. Paired with high speed, the LO is going to let them hit hard and fast and if it gets to the point where theyre about to die from it, they did their job.

Life orb is used on 3 types of pokemon:
1. Pokes that have an ability that negates the damage caused by it. Examples are Magic Guard alakazam and Sheer Force Nidoking/Tauros/Kingler.

2. Pokes that are really fast, powerful offensively, don't like being locked into one move, and can't take a hit well at all. Some of these pokes have access to recovery.
Examples are Electivire, Talonflame, and Greninja.

3. Mixed sweepers that enjoy a boost to both Attack and Special Attack.
Examples are Infernape and Aegislash.

As you can see from the above, all pokemon that utilize a Life Orb well are all-out attackers. Stuff like Chansey would hate a life orb being Tricked on to them(Mainly because Chansey has better items to hold, like Eviolite) because they don't want their great bulk undermined by an item that saps 10% of their health every time they attack.

Yeah LO is fantastic on offensive Pokémon of all varieties. A Pokémon with base 5 HP or base 500 HP will still die in 10 turns regardless.

I honestly wasn't aware of how useful it was in doubles. I'm going to dick around with meowistic in my VGC team and see if it works any better than what I'm running now.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom