• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BBL: Weekly Discussion #2 Ampharos

BadAssKoala

Outback King
Reaction score
BBL PotW #2 Ampharos

So what does this awesome yellow sheared sheep bring to the table in gen 6? A lot actually with buffed stats and a mega evo good old amphy is certainly worth considering for a team. So people lets take a journey!

In Depth Look

Ampharos
Type: Electric
Abilities: Static, Plus
Stats: 90,75,85,115,90,55

Mega Ampharos
Type: Electric/Dragon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Stats: 90,95,105,165,110,45

Sets

Tank

Ampharos@Choice Specs/Life Orb
Static
Modest
208 HP/252 SpA/48 Spe

Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ice/Dragon Pulse
Volt Switch

A tank set makes the most of Ampharos's excellent power and bulk. Volt Switch eases prediction, allowing your team to keep up the momentum and dictate play. Ampharos's low Speed can sometimes be an advantage for your team, as a slow Volt Switch eases prediction and gives frailer Pokemon a free switch-in. However, it would be wise not to let Ampharos take too many hits, as it lacks recovery and can be easily worn down by residual damage.

The other three moves provide Ampharos with great coverage, enabling it to OHKO or 2HKO almost every Pokemon in the metagame. Focus Blast decimates the omnipresent Steel- and Normal-types in UU, such as Bisharp and Lickilicky, while Hidden Power eliminates the Ground-types that are immune to Ampharos's STAB attacks. Hidden Power Ice completes the pseudo-BoltBeam combination and takes down Grass-types such as Gogoat, as well as Dragon-types such as Garchomp. Thunderbolt is the final move and Ampharos's most powerful on the set; as it doesn't force Ampharos to switch out, it is most useful for sustained sweeping. Thunderbolt's power is so great that it has a good chance to 2HKO even the most specially defensive Lickilicky after Stealth Rock, so not much prediction is required when using it.
I also wanted to add now that dragon pulse is learnable by Ampharos it might be better for those who can't breed hidden power well.

Dual Screens

Ampharos@Light Clay
Static
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp D

Reflect
Light Screen
Volt Switch
Heal Bell/Toxic

With terrific bulk and only one weakness, Ampharos fills the role of a dual screen user very well. Reflect and Light Screen are obvious moves for a dual screen set, and buffer both Ampharos and its teammates from strong attacks. Volt Switch is very important as Ampharos's terrible Speed lets it easily get a frail sweeper in without having to take a hit. Ampharos's excellent bulk—even before screens—enables it to switch in multiple times throughout the match to set up both screens for its team. Heal Bell is the main move in the last slot to cure its teammates of status; alternatively, Toxic can be used to take down walls and put a timer on Pokemon that might want to set up on Ampharos as it sets up screens.

The Sociopathic Sheep

Ampharos@Ampharosite
Static-> Mold Break
Modest
208 HP/252 SpA/48 Spe

Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse
Focus Blast
Signal Beam/Power Gem/Agility/ Cotton Guard/Volt Switch/Protect

So this is the average mega Ampharos set. The EVs could also be max SpA and HP. But a little speed to outspeed some slower threats is always good. So I have a confession for you guys. In my research for a good mega set I found very little of use the sets are all varied depending on the user.

Thunderbolt and Dragon pulse are good for stab and with mold breaker it does good damage to most things. Focus Blast is a good move to use on this set as it takes down some threats Ampharos couldn't handle otherwise. Such as Tyrantitar, Excadrill, and Magnazone. The last move is up to you they all have merits. Some set up Ampharos with better stats (Agility and Cotton Gaurd). Volt Switch can let you switch in frail sweepers as mentioned above. While signal beam and power gem cover some other types. Protect could also potentially be used to scout move sets.

Ampharos As A Team Player

Ampharos can be used on a variety of teams for a variety of roles. His low speed and fantastic bulk ensure he'll be fantastic on sticky web teams and trick room teams. He's also useful as a sort of support cleric healing your teams statuses and setting up screens. He can also be used to straight up wreck some mons. His low speed pretty much dooms him to not fully sweep. But bringing him in late game on a weakened team makes him a great late game sweeper. Over all I'd recommend him to anyone who needs a bulky pokemon who can dish out hits or a support pokemon for a frail offense team.
------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading my first analysis guys! Share any sets or ideas in the comments. Happy Battles!'- BAK

Last edited:
I think to get 'MEGA AMPHAROS' to its full potential by having trick room support, as you said in the summary.
Great bulk with ridiculous special attack is always a look in my book. But to be honest, Trick Room is the only option for it.
You have to make use of the base 165 SpA and not just 'Let it Go' (pun intended)
As for regular ampharos, there are just other better tanks / set-up mons.
Overall, your just getting style points if your going to use this majestic being with great hair, and hey, some style can't hurt can it?
mega_ampharos_by_kami_bakura-d6h858p.jpg

I think to get 'MEGA AMPHAROS' to its full potential by having trick room support, as you said in the summary.
Great bulk with ridiculous special attack is always a look in my book. But to be honest, Trick Room is the only option for it.
You have to make use of the base 165 SpA and not just 'Let it Go' (pun intended)
As for regular ampharos, there are just other better tanks / set-up mons.
Overall, your just getting style points if your going to use this majestic being with great hair, and hey, some style can't hurt can it?
View attachment 92562
I certainly agree Ampharos is a great trick room teammate. I also agree that there's better pokemon that do his job. But Ampharos was confined to NU all of his BW/BW2 days. In that tier Ampharos was one of the best at what he did. I think he'll probably see a return to NU or RU once everything calms down. As soon as that happens I bet Ampharos and his Mega will continue to do their job well.

I read a about a battle from someone on Serebii who used Cotton Guard on Ampharos. Is Cotton Guard good for both Mega/non Mega or is it only good for one of them?

I read a about a battle from someone on Serebii who used Cotton Guard on Ampharos. Is Cotton Guard good for both Mega/non Mega or is it only good for one of them?

Cotton Gaurd as mentioned above is a viable move on either. But it really depends on wether your running a defensive a special defensive or tank set. I'd recommend if your doing a mega Ampharos by itself with no sticky web or trick room support depending on how you want to run Ampharos you need to either use cotton Gaurd or agility.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom