• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BBL YT: Pokémon Showcasing

UB-01 Kenobi

If she's UB-01, I'm UB-01
Reaction score
Hi all! As a couple of you may know, the BBL has a brand new baby YouTube channel. One of the segments we'll be doing is Pokémon Showdown Live, hosted by yours truly. Unlike most PS! series, though, our primary goal is not for me to ladder to the top. I will be trying that, but our primary purpose is going to be showcasing lesser used Pokémon and their niches in the OU metagame. We plan on taking suggestions from subscribers in comments eventually, but we don't have any of those yet. So, we're turning to you, the BBC: what are your favorite Pokémon that are generally considered less than stellar competitively? I'll give any FE Pokémon (or maybe even a NFE if I can think of something cool to do that it's evolution can't) a go, even the Beedrill I posted for Master Mew if y'all really want :p

Hi all! As a couple of you may know, the BBL has a brand new baby YouTube channel. One of the segments we'll be doing is Pokémon Showdown Live, hosted by yours truly. Unlike most PS! series, though, our primary goal is not for me to ladder to the top. I will be trying that, but our primary purpose is going to be showcasing lesser used Pokémon and their niches in the OU metagame. We plan on taking suggestions from subscribers in comments eventually, but we don't have any of those yet. So, we're turning to you, the BBC: what are your favorite Pokémon that are generally considered less than stellar competitively? I'll give any FE Pokémon (or maybe even a NFE if I can think of something cool to do that it's evolution can't) a go, even the Beedrill I posted for Master Mew if y'all really want :p
One: I have subscribed, I'm boby bob on youtube. (Note unless this is a new Channel)
Two: Dunsparce that's what I want you to use, being my favorite pokemon. People think it is bad due to low stats, but Dunsparce kills M Charzard Ys very easy(sadly,only thing it kills in bulk), plus seren grace is awesome!

Last edited:
What about Raichu? Its known for a great amount of speed, attack, and sp. attack. However, its defense it very poor and can get KO very easy. I find it effective against most flying types because of the speed.

even the Beedrill I posted for Master Mew if y'all really want :p
How about an epic Beedrill Fell Stinger sweep. :p

In all seriousness, Beedrill would be pretty sweet - and the Dunsparce suggestion is intriguing, too (though I fear he has even less going for him than Beedrill - I guess he gets Coil, though?)

even the Beedrill I posted for Master Mew if y'all really want :p
How about an epic Beedrill Fell Stinger sweep. :p

In all seriousness, Beedrill would be pretty sweet - and the Dunsparce suggestion is intriguing, too (though I fear he has even less going for him than Beedrill - I guess he gets Coil, though?)
I agree with him doing the Beedrill as well, I'll repost it here, because it's Kool
Beedrill @ Focus Sash
Swarm
Adamant
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
~Tailwind (probably better to have a Talonflame set up TW and U Turn to it)
~X-Scissor
~Endeavor
~Drill Run/Poison Jab

Last edited:
I have a few suggestions: Seismitoad (or however you spell it's name), Tornadus-T, Zebstrika, Flygon... The list goes on but those are the main ones I'd like to see.

If twitch plays pokemon taught us anything its that personal community picked and loved pokemon are great to watch into battle. Love the idea of a quality player showing how a well played 'bunch of misfit' mons can kick ass.

Look forward to seeing what gets picked (plus named gotta have names :p ) and how you'd make em work.

I have a few suggestions: Seismitoad (or however you spell it's name), Tornadus-T, Zebstrika, Flygon... The list goes on but those are the main ones I'd like to see.

RNG chose BAG so I'll get to work putting as many of those into a team as possible... looking at it Rain seems like a good option.

Got the first episode done, used 4 of the suggested Pokémon. If you want a preview before it comes out, here's the team I used:

Croak & Dagger (Seismitoad) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Seismitoad is known for its bulk, but its Atk got buffed this generation. So while you might be tempted to go for a bulky mixed attacker like last gen, a pure physical set is the best option considering that it has recovery, strong and accurate STAB, and another new toy to play with due to buffs - Knock Off. The buffs have been pretty kind to our froggy pal this gen, and he is a great bulky utility mon. On most teams, you'll want Water Absorb, but I used Swift Swim since my team is Rain-based.

For a Green Guy (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- Knock Off

Tornadus-T was good last gen and he still is, so I was pretty happy to get him as a request as I wouldn't have to go too far out of my way to fit him into a team. Regenerator makes him a great pivot with U-Turn and he has good coverage in just Hurricane + Fcus Blast, so the last slot can be given to Knock Off for added utility. Other viable options include Taunt and Heat Wave, but Heat Wave wouldn't be good on a Rain team and Taunt wouldn't be good on a Choiced Pokémon so I didn't use them. I ran Scarf over Specs in order to deal with users of Dragon Dance and Choice Scarf as my team has very little priority and is mostly bulky and slow as a whole, so I had to be able to deal with things that boosted their Speed. In general, Life Orb or Choice Specs is better.

Gen V (Politoed) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Delicious nutritious Smogon standard. No need for explanation here, I should think. I put Politoed on the team because even a cursory glance at BadAssGardevoir's post screams "Rain!!!", as 100% accurate Hurricanes and Thunders and a double-speed Seismitoad sound great to me.

NU Crap (Zebstrika) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Thunder
- Wild Charge
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit

My team has a huge Grass weakness, and Zebstrika is all over that. Most people expect Lightningrod or Motor Drive, allowing the Sap Sipper switches to take them by surprise. Because Sap Sipper boosts my Atk already, most investment went into Sp Atk. Thunder is the main STAB, abusing Rain, while Wild Charge takes over as the main STAB if either Rain is down or if I managed to snag a Sap Sipper boost. Quick Attack for priority and Pursuit for hitting things on the switch out - both are also boosted by Sap Sipper. In addition to being a wallbreaker, Zebstrika is also a good status absorber, as it is immune to Paralysis, Spore, Sleep Powder, and Leech Seed. You would normally run Overheat over Thunder on this set in order to hit the Grass-types you're designed to take advantage of and because the Sp Atk drop is mitigated by the rest of your movepool being Physical, but because this is a Rain team, Overheat would be debuffed and Thunder is a more useful move for breaking down Special walls. Luckily, Wild Charge is sufficient for breaking through Breloom due to its low Def and it also hits MCharY SE, as it often wants to hit my poor Politoed with Solar Beam as it MEvolves and wipes away the Rain.

Safety Scizors (Scizor-Mega) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Scizor is a staple Defogger on Rain teams because a) its 4x Fire weakness is mitigated by Rain and b) unlike most Defoggers, which are Flying type, it does not share an Electric weakness with the Water types found on Rain teams. Mine is a physically bulky utility set with Defog to remove hazards, Roost for longevity, U-Turn for momentum, and Bullet Punch for priority.

Lord Helix (Omastar) (F) @ White Herb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

This is my only actual sweeper on this team, forming a wall breaker/sweeper/revenge killer core with Zebstrika (wall breaker) and Tornadus (revenge killer). Shell Smash boosts my mediocre Speed so I can go first even when Rain ends and I lose Swift Swim, and the other moves are just strong Special Attacks with good coverage.

If you have any questions about this team feel free to ask, and look forward to seeing it in action when the vid goes live! Also, feel free to continue making suggestions, as I can't build a new team around just Beedrill/Dunsparce/Hawlucha/Flygon/Raichu without it turning into a piece of crap - I need to see some synergy between suggestions like I did here. Keep posting suggestions, and once there're enough, I'll use RNG to decide whose suggestion I'll use and than add in suggestions from other people that synergize well with it and then a few of my own picks to support them. So yeah, keep the suggestions coming! :)

E: Also, didn't realize until looking at this post that NU Crap is a gender-bender xD

Got the first episode done, used 4 of the suggested Pokémon. If you want a preview before it comes out, here's the team I used:

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Seismitoad is known for its bulk, but its Atk got buffed this generation. So while you might be tempted to go for a bulky mixed attacker like last gen, a pure physical set is the best option considering that it has recovery, strong and accurate STAB, and another new toy to play with due to buffs - Knock Off. The buffs have been pretty kind to our froggy pal this gen, and he is a great bulky utility mon. On most teams, you'll want Water Absorb, but I used Swift Swim since my team is Rain-based.

Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- Knock Off

Tornadus-T was good last gen and he still is, so I was pretty happy to get him as a request as I wouldn't have to go too far out of my way to fit him into a team. Regenerator makes him a great pivot with U-Turn and he has good coverage in just Hurricane + Fcus Blast, so the last slot can be given to Knock Off for added utility. Other viable options include Taunt and Heat Wave, but Heat Wave wouldn't be good on a Rain team and Taunt wouldn't be good on a Choiced Pokémon so I didn't use them. I ran Scarf over Specs in order to deal with users of Dragon Dance and Choice Scarf as my team has very little priority and is mostly bulky and slow as a whole, so I had to be able to deal with things that boosted their Speed. In general, Life Orb or Choice Specs is better.

Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Delicious nutritious Smogon standard. No need for explanation here, I should think. I put Politoed on the team because even a cursory glance at BadAssGardevoir's post screams "Rain!!!", as 100% accurate Hurricanes and Thunders and a double-speed Seismitoad sound great to me.

Mild Nature
- Thunder
- Wild Charge
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit

My team has a huge Grass weakness, and Zebstrika is all over that. Most people expect Lightningrod or Motor Drive, allowing the Sap Sipper switches to take them by surprise. Because Sap Sipper boosts my Atk already, most investment went into Sp Atk. Thunder is the main STAB, abusing Rain, while Wild Charge takes over as the main STAB if either Rain is down or if I managed to snag a Sap Sipper boost. Quick Attack for priority and Pursuit for hitting things on the switch out - both are also boosted by Sap Sipper. In addition to being a wallbreaker, Zebstrika is also a good status absorber, as it is immune to Paralysis, Spore, Sleep Powder, and Leech Seed. You would normally run Overheat over Thunder on this set in order to hit the Grass-types you're designed to take advantage of and because the Sp Atk drop is mitigated by the rest of your movepool being Physical, but because this is a Rain team, Overheat would be debuffed and Thunder is a more useful move for breaking down Special walls. Luckily, Wild Charge is sufficient for breaking through Breloom due to its low Def and it also hits MCharY SE, as it often wants to hit my poor Politoed with Solar Beam as it MEvolves and wipes away the Rain.

Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Scizor is a staple Defogger on Rain teams because a) its 4x Fire weakness is mitigated by Rain and b) unlike most Defoggers, which are Flying type, it does not share an Electric weakness with the Water types found on Rain teams. Mine is a physically bulky utility set with Defog to remove hazards, Roost for longevity, U-Turn for momentum, and Bullet Punch for priority.

Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

This is my only actual sweeper on this team, forming a wall breaker/sweeper/revenge killer core with Zebstrika (wall breaker) and Tornadus (revenge killer). Shell Smash boosts my mediocre Speed so I can go first even when Rain ends and I lose Swift Swim, and the other moves are just strong Special Attacks with good coverage.

If you have any questions about this team feel free to ask, and look forward to seeing it in action when the vid goes live! Also, feel free to continue making suggestions, as I can't build a new team around just Beedrill/Dunsparce/Hawlucha/Flygon/Raichu without it turning into a piece of crap - I need to see some synergy between suggestions like I did here. Keep posting suggestions, and once there're enough, I'll use RNG to decide whose suggestion I'll use and than add in suggestions from other people that synergize well with it and then a few of my own picks to support them. So yeah, keep the suggestions coming! :)

E: Also, didn't realize until looking at this post that NU Crap is a gender-bender xD
Can you post the link of the video?

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- Knock Off

Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mild Nature
- Thunder
- Wild Charge
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit

Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Can you post the link of the video?

The video has not been posted yet but it's going up today. Maybe BAK will drop a link in this thread. :)

Cool! Definetley watch it when I'm not on my crappy phone.

Im glad this was made. I love when youtubers bring random nu or RU pokemon, and wreck. :p

Since I cant comment on Youtube, I'd just like to compliment how informative your OU meata guide was, especially to new players.
Also I dont know why, but Glory Blazes commentary was just great to me.

Uncommon pokemon that I'd like to see used together competitively? While also exhibiting some semblance of synergy? Challenge accepted:

Beedrill: Tailwind Lead (-Glory Blaze-'s set)
@ Focus Sash
Swarm
Adamant
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Tailwind / Endeavor / X-Scissor / Poison Jab​
Dunsparce: ParaFlincher (EVs let him outspeed Aerodactyl/Jolteon in Tailwind)
@ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Jolly
252 HP/40 Def/216 Speed
Glare / Headbutt / Bite / Rock Slide​
Escavalier: I don't have a specific set in mind for him, but he's awesome underappreciated and his typing compliments the team's overall resistances well. Out of these first three pokemon, we have five weaknesses (only Fire is shared) and twelve resistances (Poison, Bug, Ghost, and Grass are shared). His high attack and low speed would imply he'd benefit from Tailwind as well, but I suspect he's actually so slow he's out of Tailwind range and thoroughly in Trick Room territory. :sweatlol:
Kabutops: Figured I'd add one more and leave the last two slots open to more common/reliable 'mons. Kabutops is awesome a neglected pokemon and adds a much needed Fire resistance to the team. It's 4x weakness to Grass is concerning, but mitigated by Beedrill and Escavalier both resisting it. It also has more average speed, which prevents the whole team from being Tailwind-dependant (since Beedrill's definitely not coming back in to set it again). This slot is less important to me (though I do adore Kabutops), so if there's something more common that improves this team's viability that's fine.

Like I said, some semblance of synergy. These pokemon are rarely seen for a reason. :p

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom