• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP BDSP First Impressions Thread

Nicolas721

Reaction score
Hi guys, as you know rhe game is released to day. Therefore I decided to create this thread so you can write about your first hours in the game and your opinions on them, without worrying from the heated opinions from other threads.

Have a nice day!

I just earned the 3rd badge and overall I'm very happy. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that you have to actually open the Poketch menu to touch the display while using the item radar,but I can live with that.

I just entered the clothing store. They did something there that's really cool, but see for yourselves.

I spent a few hours playing Brilliant Diamond last night after the midnight release — I managed to clear the Valley Windworks before I just couldn't stay awake any longer. So far I like it! I'm still kind of early since I spent a lot of time just doodling around and exploring, but it's been a good time.

The QoL changes that I've noticed are very, very much appreciated. Aesthetically I love the unique battle backgrounds, and how some of the old DP sound effects have been kept and remastered.
It's also kind of weirdly magical to use the online features again? I never really got to use the internet stuff in DPPt before it shut down (I only got around to using the internet in Gen 5, the old DS wireless connection settings were impossible for me to understand lol), but I had an online battle with @Hawthorn after the first Gym and it was pretty dang fun.
It very much feels like DP, just given new life as a modern title. And that's what I like about it! It's been giving me that same feeling as when I first played Diamond, and that makes me happy.

I'll probably come back here once I've made a little more progress. :)

I spent a few hours playing Brilliant Diamond last night after the midnight release — I managed to clear the Valley Windworks before I just couldn't stay awake any longer. So far I like it! I'm still kind of early since I spent a lot of time just doodling around and exploring, but it's been a good time.
Yeah, I did that too, I wasted 3 hours in the underground as soon as I got the exploring kit

I got BD today, though I didn't get to play it right away due to needing to complete several other errands. But I've managed to get myself up to Gardenia's Gym. However, I want to explore the Grand Underground some more, as I want to see if I can find Mons like Gligar, Snorunt, and Magnemite for my final team. I managed to get ahold of a Gastrodon while in the Grand Underground, thereby giving me my Water Mon with virtually no effort (I generally prefer the blue/green version but this one had a good nature and Storm Drain, so I'll gladly settle for this one). I've been catching like mad, too, having caught pretty much everything up to Eterna City (sans certain evolved forms).

I have to say I'm having fun. It's been a while since I've been in Sinnoh. And the QoL changes really make the game more enjoyable. And even with the auto EXP Share my levels aren't much higher than most of the games' "bosses", so to speak (for example, Monferno was Level 17 when I fought Mars, which I believe was only one level higher than her Purugly). That's a good sign that the game's level curve does work alongside the EXP Share. Hell, I nearly lost a battle against a Poke Kid in Jubilife City's TV center (where you unlock Mystery Gift) because her Pikachus' levels were roughly the same as mine but she managed to KO Monferno due to Paralysis, leaving Staravia to take a risk and pick off the last bit of damage on her final Pikachu with Quick Attack. I now know that Hikers that sell you things include TMs, so that makes the mining minigame (and the spheres) far more worthwhile. I've also gotten several statues. I want to spend more time in the Grand Underground in order to get certain things but I had to stop in order to recharge my Switch Lite.

Overall I'm quite pleased with these games. The QoL changes really smooth out the rough edges that Gen 4 was notorious for, the auto EXP Share isn't overbearing and seems to work well alongside the natural level curve, and in general I've been having fun. They're not my favorite remakes, as ORAS still holds that crown, but they are still good, solid games.

Have been playing it since release and I'm having a lot of fun! I nearly didn't get it, but I'm really glad I did! I've never been too good at articulating exactly why I like something, but I can at least say I'd recommend it to people.. !

Makes me feel really sentimental to be playing it again just because Pearl was my first game and it definitely has that same old feeling to it. Though getting used to the newer look took me a little bit, I honestly really find it kinda cute now? There's a charm to everything still, plus getting to see my favorite places like this has been a really heartwarming experience. ^^

I love the online stuff, though! I didn't get much of a chance to do anything online when I was younger, so the opportunity now is just so fun! Plus having @Orchid (hi!) as a rival to keep me motivated has added a whole lot of extra excitement to something I already really love!

I wasn't all that hyped for BDSP but I impulse bought it digital at like 3 AM last night and . . . .I'm having a ton of fun with it. It is pretty much just D/P with some QoL and a makeover but I loveeee the artstyle its so comfy. I feel like it looks better in game than it did in the trailers.

The chibi style actually looks good now that I have it right in front of me. The battle arenas look really good though and honestly I love the mountain battle arena from the route north of Floraroma town. Music has been great and the games been along of fun. I spent the last 5 hours in the grand underground reliving 4th grade mining the hell out of the walls for spheres and the new statues. I haven't even gotten past Gardenia yet. I put A handicap 9n myself only using Skurpi and Magnetmite for her gym and it made for a pretty intense fight. I tried it for Rorak too but I was forced to evolve chimchar to win.

The QoL changes that I've noticed are very, very much appreciated. Aesthetically I love the unique battle backgrounds, and how some of the old DP sound effects have been kept and remastered.
It's also kind of weirdly magical to use the online features again? I never really got to use the internet stuff in DPPt before it shut down (I only got around to using the internet in Gen 5, the old DS wireless connection settings were impossible for me to understand lol), but I had an online battle with @Hawthorn after the first Gym and it was pretty dang fun.
It very much feels like DP, just given new life as a modern title. And that's what I like about it! It's been giving me that same feeling as when I first played Diamond, and that makes me happy.

I'll probably come back here once I've made a little more progress. :)
Same online pokemon until I had a 3ds. My first online battle was lost to a level 1 Aaron in Black 2 lol.

Picked Shining Pearl up while on my lunch break today. Glad I didn't need to pre-order it, was a little worried the store wouldn't have a copy. But it looked like there was plenty when I got there. I didn't get to play till I got home though, so I've only played for a few hours today.

So far I'm quite enjoying myself. I'm going in from a rather odd perspective, of knowing Sinnoh and the basics of its' story in gimmicks, but never having completed a Sinnoh game myself (I think I beat the first gym in Platinum and that's it), so I don't know everything. So it's kind of like a new game for me, but also not.

Everything looks pretty good so far with it, and everything sounds amazing. I'm currently just standing outside Valley Windworks listening to the music while I type this out. I think the only minor grievance I have so far with the gameplay is how weird entering a wild battle is. Like it's super sudden, almost like it's missing something. Like you're just walking and suddenly the screen changes to that grass animation that plays It's jarring, and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it.

Overall, I think this will be a solid Pokemon experience. Will it be my favorite? Nowhere near, but I'm sure I'll enjoy myself.

Last edited:
In spite of the game being taking the LGPE approach in regards to featured Pokémon, I'm still enjoying the game. It probably helps that the traditional gameplay is preserved. Unfortunately, you can't skip the catching tutorial from Lucas/Dawn, even if you've already caught a few Pokémon.

My starter is a female Chimchar (by luck!) and I've only just unlocked the Grand Underground and gotten my second badge (since I'm also playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons).

For some reason, I seem to be having trouble with the Grand Underground. I can't interact with other players when I'm online, nor can I dig at several locations. Has this happened to other players? Do I need to advance further in the story just to talk to other players?

For some reason, I seem to be having trouble with the Grand Underground. I can't interact with other players when I'm online, nor can I dig at several locations. Has this happened to other players? Do I need to advance further in the story just to talk to other players?
I can't talk to other players too, I just walk through them like they're ghosts and this stops me from getting Spiritomb (and it's about time to get it, I've got 7 badges by now).

I can't talk to other players too, I just walk through them like they're ghosts and this stops me from getting Spiritomb (and it's about time to get it, I've got 7 badges by now).
I think you have to talk to the NPCs to get Spiritomb (in contrast to SwSh) instead of other players, according to a few comments I saw on YouTube. Still, I don't know how to help others dig since it wouldn't let me join in, but others have joined me in digging before. And that's without the fact that I can't dig half the time at glittering walls.

UPDATE: Apparently, some walls are unreachable if you rely exclusively on a D-pad. I've had serious drifting issues with my Switch Lite joystick, hence my reluctance to use it.

Last edited:
I think you have to talk to the NPCs to get Spiritomb (in contrast to SwSh) instead of other players, according to a few comments I saw on YouTube. Still, I don't know how to help others dig since it wouldn't let me join in, but others have joined me in digging before. And that's without the fact that I can't dig half the time at glittering walls.
Oooooh, I thought both would work and only the merchants wouldn't count for that.
I had no problems with joining someone who's mining, everything works as it should.

I had no problems with joining someone who's mining, everything works as it should.
The problem was I've not been using the joystick, mainly because I've been having serve drifting issues in ACNH. Once I've stared using it again, I've had no issues with digging or joining others.

I love this game! I saw one reviewer describing it as "comforting" and I think that's really accurate. It's like being wrapped in a warm blanket of childhood memories. The art style is not only cute but also calming and restful on the eyes.

I'm currently at Eterna City with a Turtwig, Staravia, Luxio and Buizel. I'm keeping Turtwig unevolved until I reach Hearthome so I can see its walking animation.

I had a quick look at the Underground last night and was amazed. The promotional artwork made it look like there's only a few Pokemon Hideaways, but there's actually dozens of them!

This might seem like a weird thing to get excited about, but I was delighted to discover you can now change which form of a Pokemon is displayed in the Pokedex even if you haven't caught it. Being unable to change the pictures of uncaught Pokemon used to play havoc with my obsessive brain, so I'm really happy they fixed it.

Well I wasn't thrilled with the artstyle but the Chibis do give me a nostalgic feeling.
The music is superb.
The battle backgrounds are gorgeous
My only complaint is the blurry effect on the overworld, it makes me want to clean my screen or my glasses every other minute.
I don't have much to say on the story since I've played DPP like a dozen times but I do greatly appreciate the QoL improvements. It makes everything faster and more streamlined.
Right now I just started playing but I will be back with my GU impressions.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom