• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

being transgendered and a pokemon fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shining-Celebi

Gaga's Backup Dancer!
Reaction score
So as an advocate for the LGBTQA community, I am quite perplexed as to how someone who is transgendered will be able to choose a "gender".

Or not just a trangered person, but what about someone who doesn't identify themselves as either a boy or a girl or gender?

Pokemon has set up a dichotomy that is forced to follow and I hope BW can rectify the problem. Perhaps some solutions can be to create characters that identify as gender-neutral.

NOTE: I am not a transgendered/gender-questioning person. I am an advocate for equal treatment for everyone.

WTF is this about? I don't get it...

I don't really think that it's a big issue because sometimes boy's play as the girl character or vice versa anyway. They could just pick whichever they identify themselves with more.

Is it really that big a deal. It's a just a game that's meant for kids so why should they need to care.

Would you rather be like it was in gen 1 and not let you have a choice at all?

I think it doesn't really matter. I mean, I'm a guy and when I get Black I'm choosin' the girl...

The homophobia in here is astounding.

I don't really think that it's a big issue because sometimes boy's play as the girl character or vice versa anyway. They could just pick whichever they identify themselves with more.

Well it's not that easy. They still would be pigeonholed.

Is it really that big a deal. It's a just a game that's meant for kids so why should they need to care.

Oh no its based for kid's lets just make it Barney! Seriously, its meant for EVERYONE, and as such Nintendo/whoever has to undertake the responsibility of not making it offensive.

Would you rather be like it was in gen 1 and not let you have a choice at all?

No one would like that. So you are suggesting we need to be grateful for something that is created for the reason of getting OUR money? PFFFFT.

I think it doesn't really matter. I mean, I'm a guy and when I get Black I'm choosin' the girl...

Well what if you are a boy who looks like a girl on the outside but has boy parts?
It is presumed the protagonists in pokemon have their corresponding genitalia.

I honestly hope you are not saying that I am homophobic. I'm bisexual, and I just don't see the point. I agree with the post made by Enzap06. It doesn;t need to be "OMG No Neutral Gander Noes!!! I won't play!!!!!!"

Heck a good amount of RPG's don't even give you a choice. Be grateful.

The homophobia in here is astounding.

Well it's not that easy. They still would be pigeonholed.

Oh no its based for kid's lets just make it Barney! Seriously, its meant for EVERYONE, and as such Nintendo/whoever has to undertake the responsibility of not making it offensive.

No one would like that. So you are suggesting we need to be grateful for something that is created for the reason of getting OUR money? PFFFFT.

Well what if you are a boy who looks like a girl on the outside but has boy parts?
It is presumed the protagonists in pokemon have their corresponding genitalia.
Homophobia? Please. First off, Nintendo has no such duty to do anything. They are making this new generation because they'll make money off of it. Second off, I doubt anyone gets offended by the lack of such a third option, though you may be proof against me. Third off, it is presumed in real life that people who look like males, err... are indeed males with male parts.

Seriously, you're the first to raise such an objection that I've seen, and the first and general reaction here has been something along the lines of "WTF?" (.) If you want to brand us all as homophobes, go ahead: branding all opposition so broadly is just plain ridiculous, especially when it is your idea that is on the fringe.

I honestly hope you are not saying that I am homophobic. I'm bisexual, and I just don't see the point. I agree with the post made by Enzap06. It doesn;t need to be "OMG No Neutral Gander Noes!!! I won't play!!!!!!"

Heck a good amount of RPG's don't even give you a choice. Be grateful.

Well Pokemon could be the one to revolutionize gaming as a whole. I only see that as a positive thing.

Lolwut?

What is the LGBTQA?

LGBTQA is an acronym that stands for:

Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgendered
Queer(or sometimes Questioning)
Ally(ies)

I fail to see the point of this topic. As mentioned, many people play as the opposite gender already, and the choice of gender already makes very little difference to the gameplay. Closed before any sort of flamewar or something. This isn't the place for a transgender debate.

First of all, let's not throw around "homophobia" at the slightest drop of a hat. It really lessens the meaning of the word, and that's something we can do without.

Second: How many videogames actually even let you play as transgendered characters? Not even the Sims has that.

The majority or the world is split into male and female and frankly, I don't mind that the game makers should stick to two choices. It leaves the game to be less complicated to the average player.

Oh, and I'm gay, so don't think I don't know where you're coming from.

And to finish it off, this didn't even belong in Black and White anyways.

I am also gay and I play as whatever character I wish.

Transgendered people choose which gender THEY identify with. That doesn't even need discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom