• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Best and Worst Pokemon In Gen 4?

Arcanine10

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Best in no particular order: Infernape, Garchomp, Staraptor, Giratina Origin Form, Magmortar, Electivire, Gliscor, Rampardos, Drapion and many more.

Worst: Wormadam, Phione, regular Shaymin, Purugly, Bastiodon, Lickilicky, Cherrim, Floatzel, Abomasnow, Regigigas

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
I wasn't really a fan of Gen 4 or 5 Pokémon when they came out, but a few Gen 4s have grown on me since.

Favorite: Bastiodon, I don't know why, but I love that face
Least Favorite: Kricketot/tune, just ugh
Best (Competitive): Probably Garchomp (non-Legend)
Worst (Competitive: Still Kricketune, still ugh

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Favourites (they’re going to be many which I might forget. This generation gave me a lot of my favourite Pokemon!)
All 3 starter evolution lines, Staraptor, Luxray, Buizel, Gabite, Weavile, Gallade, Froslass, Rotom.

Least Favourite:
Burmy, Bonzong, Shellos line

colours

etch dreams into life
Reaction score
Fav: Shaymin, Torterra, Buizel, Staraptor, Mesprit
Not so fav: idk what it is, but I'm not a huge fan of Lickilicky

IncineROAR

Darth Ignis
Reaction score
Favorite: Infernape, Torterra, Empoleon, Lucario, Garchomp
Least favorite: Lickylicky, that tongue is creepy

Guzma

Humbug
Reaction score
Best: Yanmega, Garchomp, Gliscor, Weavile, Darkrai and Gallade
Worst: *Inhales deeply* Ambipom, Lickilicky, Magmortar, Lopunny, Bastiodon, Purugly, Dusknoir, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf and Phione.

Tactician Karina

ベレト
Reaction score
Gen IV is my favorite so naturally I have a lot of favorites in this generation, though my top favorites would be:
Top favorite: Glameow/Purugly, Buneary/Lopunny, Starly line, Piplup line, Turtwig line, Shinx line, Bidoof/Bibarel, Magmortar, Gible line, Lucario, Glaceon, Leafeon, Gallade, and Cresselia.

Least favorite: Chimchar line, Mantyke, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Budew, Pachirisu, Munchlax, Happiny, Phione, and Manaphy.

Every other Pokémon of this gen not listed I still do like though.

Feign

Reaction score
I really disliked a lot of Gen IV designs, even though I think they are up there as my favorite Starter set as a whole, actively enjoying all of their final evolutions. But after playing through Platinum, I started to appreciate them quite a bit more. The game is just fun. I still don't love most of their designs. I used to actively hate Garchomp, but his backsprite in Gen 4 is like a big dog so now I like how dorky and awkward it looks.

Drapion is cool. The lake trio seemed pointless originally since Jirachi felt like an afterthought of a design and these seemed even worse. But I liked their stories and their personalities. Having them help in the distortion world made me appreciate them. (The distortion world is one of the coolest things I've played in any game.) I think a lot of Gen IV is just ugly-cute. People say Gen V is over designed, but Gen IV is like, "Okay, but what else can we add?" almost constantly. Giratina is one of my favorites, regardless, though. Running into it unexpectedly in Diamond is one of my favorite moments in the franchise. It's where the love of details feels beneficial as it reminds me of a Pharoah with its scales resembling jewelry.

I hate almost every old Pokemon new evolution outside of the Eeveelutions. The way items made Pokemon evolve in Gen 2 was great as it seemed to envelop their entire body. Rhyperior just looks like it's wearing a helmet and is a goalie. I guess Electivre is... Fine.

Last edited:

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
Honestly, the Creation trio are some of the best designed Pokemon compared to others of their own generation, especially Dialga. Their lore about being Pokemon gods made me like Dialga even more than I already did when I was 9 and my first true Pokemon game being Diamond.

Though, the worst will have to be Manaphy and Phione. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against Legendaries or Mythicals breeding, but when you do make a Mythical Pokemon breedable, don't make the parent or the offspring undeniably weak to the point where they just can't win any battles on their own. I know Cosmog and Cosmoem exist, but at least their final evolved forms can take on strong Pokemon on their own. And in speaking about evolution, Phione doesn't even evolve into Manaphy, like how does it make sense in anyway that the offspring can't "grow up"?

prog rocker

Reaction score
Honestly, the Creation trio are some of the best designed Pokemon compared to others of their own generation, especially Dialga. Their lore about being Pokemon gods made me like Dialga even more than I already did when I was 9 and my first true Pokemon game being Diamond.

Though, the worst will have to be Manaphy and Phione. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against Legendaries or Mythicals breeding, but when you do make a Mythical Pokemon breedable, don't make the parent or the offspring undeniably weak to the point where they just can't win any battles on their own. I know Cosmog and Cosmoem exist, but at least their final evolved forms can take on strong Pokemon on their own. And in speaking about evolution, Phione doesn't even evolve into Manaphy, like how does it make sense in anyway that the offspring can't "grow up"?
I used to think Phione was based on the concept of hybrids like the mule or the coywolf, but then I remembered that there are weirder combinations in the game that produce completely functional offspring. I guess I should add Phione to the worst of Gen IV. I guess it's doubly sad for me because I actually like sea angels, even though I can never see them.

JefferyJoseph

Reaction score
I'm late to the game.....but I want to play.

Turtwig starter was my very first ever Pokémon and I just love his evolution line....Torterra is a tank! He will always be my absolute favorite.

Least......that one with the big tongue hanging out........yuck!

Aulos

Winds <3
Reaction score
Glaceon and Leafeon are excellent designs. I also find Piplup to be pretty cute.

And as I've posted in other topics, the worst designs are Magmortar, Electivire, and Rhyperior. Magmortar is beyond hideous. Electivire is just...bad, and Rhyperior looks like someone took Rhydon and thought "How can I best ruin this design?"

Poké Boss

Gym Leader
Reaction score
Best: Torterra, Empoleon, Starly/Staravia/Staraptor, Gible/Gabite/Garchomp.

Worst: Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Electivire.

Neosquid

conceal don't feel
Reaction score
Gen IV is my least favorite gen in terms of pokemon, there just aren't that many things from it that I like. And quite a few that I dislike.

Best: drifblim, vespiquen, mowtom, cherrim, porygon-z, torterra, drapion
Worst: lucario, garchimp, purugly, spiritomb, lucario, palkia, dialga, giratina-altered, lucario, lopunny, empoleon, leafeon, glaceon, lucario, pachirisu, dusknoir, shaymin-sky, lucario

Last edited:

Lilac~♡

Reaction score
In no order,

Best: Mismagius, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Carnivine, Roserade, Mesprit, Snover, Bronzong

Worst: Floatzel, Purugly, Lopunny, Skuntank

lordfridge

Welcome Home, Good Hunter
Reaction score
Gen 4 is my favourite.
That being said, Heatran's design never really grew on me.