• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best and Worst Pokemon In Gen 4?

Best in no particular order: Infernape, Garchomp, Staraptor, Giratina Origin Form, Magmortar, Electivire, Gliscor, Rampardos, Drapion and many more.

Worst: Wormadam, Phione, regular Shaymin, Purugly, Bastiodon, Lickilicky, Cherrim, Floatzel, Abomasnow, Regigigas

I wasn't really a fan of Gen 4 or 5 Pokémon when they came out, but a few Gen 4s have grown on me since.

Favorite: Bastiodon, I don't know why, but I love that face
Least Favorite: Kricketot/tune, just ugh
Best (Competitive): Probably Garchomp (non-Legend)
Worst (Competitive: Still Kricketune, still ugh

Favourites (they’re going to be many which I might forget. This generation gave me a lot of my favourite Pokemon!)
All 3 starter evolution lines, Staraptor, Luxray, Buizel, Gabite, Weavile, Gallade, Froslass, Rotom.

Least Favourite:
Burmy, Bonzong, Shellos line

Best: Yanmega, Garchomp, Gliscor, Weavile, Darkrai and Gallade
Worst: *Inhales deeply* Ambipom, Lickilicky, Magmortar, Lopunny, Bastiodon, Purugly, Dusknoir, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf and Phione.

Gen IV is my favorite so naturally I have a lot of favorites in this generation, though my top favorites would be:
Top favorite: Glameow/Purugly, Buneary/Lopunny, Starly line, Piplup line, Turtwig line, Shinx line, Bidoof/Bibarel, Magmortar, Gible line, Lucario, Glaceon, Leafeon, Gallade, and Cresselia.

Least favorite: Chimchar line, Mantyke, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Budew, Pachirisu, Munchlax, Happiny, Phione, and Manaphy.

Every other Pokémon of this gen not listed I still do like though.

I really disliked a lot of Gen IV designs, even though I think they are up there as my favorite Starter set as a whole, actively enjoying all of their final evolutions. But after playing through Platinum, I started to appreciate them quite a bit more. The game is just fun. I still don't love most of their designs. I used to actively hate Garchomp, but his backsprite in Gen 4 is like a big dog so now I like how dorky and awkward it looks.

garchomp.png

Drapion is cool. The lake trio seemed pointless originally since Jirachi felt like an afterthought of a design and these seemed even worse. But I liked their stories and their personalities. Having them help in the distortion world made me appreciate them. (The distortion world is one of the coolest things I've played in any game.) I think a lot of Gen IV is just ugly-cute. People say Gen V is over designed, but Gen IV is like, "Okay, but what else can we add?" almost constantly. Giratina is one of my favorites, regardless, though. Running into it unexpectedly in Diamond is one of my favorite moments in the franchise. It's where the love of details feels beneficial as it reminds me of a Pharoah with its scales resembling jewelry.

I hate almost every old Pokemon new evolution outside of the Eeveelutions. The way items made Pokemon evolve in Gen 2 was great as it seemed to envelop their entire body. Rhyperior just looks like it's wearing a helmet and is a goalie. I guess Electivre is... Fine.

Last edited:
Honestly, the Creation trio are some of the best designed Pokemon compared to others of their own generation, especially Dialga. Their lore about being Pokemon gods made me like Dialga even more than I already did when I was 9 and my first true Pokemon game being Diamond.

Though, the worst will have to be Manaphy and Phione. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against Legendaries or Mythicals breeding, but when you do make a Mythical Pokemon breedable, don't make the parent or the offspring undeniably weak to the point where they just can't win any battles on their own. I know Cosmog and Cosmoem exist, but at least their final evolved forms can take on strong Pokemon on their own. And in speaking about evolution, Phione doesn't even evolve into Manaphy, like how does it make sense in anyway that the offspring can't "grow up"?

Honestly, the Creation trio are some of the best designed Pokemon compared to others of their own generation, especially Dialga. Their lore about being Pokemon gods made me like Dialga even more than I already did when I was 9 and my first true Pokemon game being Diamond.

Though, the worst will have to be Manaphy and Phione. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against Legendaries or Mythicals breeding, but when you do make a Mythical Pokemon breedable, don't make the parent or the offspring undeniably weak to the point where they just can't win any battles on their own. I know Cosmog and Cosmoem exist, but at least their final evolved forms can take on strong Pokemon on their own. And in speaking about evolution, Phione doesn't even evolve into Manaphy, like how does it make sense in anyway that the offspring can't "grow up"?
I used to think Phione was based on the concept of hybrids like the mule or the coywolf, but then I remembered that there are weirder combinations in the game that produce completely functional offspring. I guess I should add Phione to the worst of Gen IV. I guess it's doubly sad for me because I actually like sea angels, even though I can never see them.

I'm late to the game.....but I want to play.

Turtwig starter was my very first ever Pokémon and I just love his evolution line....Torterra is a tank! He will always be my absolute favorite.

Least......that one with the big tongue hanging out........yuck!

Glaceon and Leafeon are excellent designs. I also find Piplup to be pretty cute.

And as I've posted in other topics, the worst designs are Magmortar, Electivire, and Rhyperior. Magmortar is beyond hideous. Electivire is just...bad, and Rhyperior looks like someone took Rhydon and thought "How can I best ruin this design?"

Best: Torterra, Empoleon, Starly/Staravia/Staraptor, Gible/Gabite/Garchomp.

Worst: Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Electivire.

Gen IV is my least favorite gen in terms of pokemon, there just aren't that many things from it that I like. And quite a few that I dislike.

Best: drifblim, vespiquen, mowtom, cherrim, porygon-z, torterra, drapion
Worst: lucario, garchimp, purugly, spiritomb, lucario, palkia, dialga, giratina-altered, lucario, lopunny, empoleon, leafeon, glaceon, lucario, pachirisu, dusknoir, shaymin-sky, lucario

Last edited:
In no order,

Best: Mismagius, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Carnivine, Roserade, Mesprit, Snover, Bronzong

Worst: Floatzel, Purugly, Lopunny, Skuntank

Gen 4 is my favourite.
That being said, Heatran's design never really grew on me.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom