• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Best bird overal

elveonora

Reaction score
Pidgeot
Swellow
Staraptor
Braviary
Swanna
Talonflame

Last edited:
So we're limiting this to the staple early-route regional bird families then? You forgot Hoothoot/Noctowl and Spearow/Fearow, and Ducklett/Swanna doesn't even belong on the list. (On the other hand, if we're talking about all birds in general, you also forgot Doduo/Dodrio, Natu/Xatu, Wingull/Pelipper, Rufflet/Braviary, Vullaby/Mandibuzz, Sigilyph, and maybe even Hawlucha....)

Also, try to take a moment to explain each one. Let's see:

Pidgey family
- Fairly well-rounded stats
- Learns a rare move in Feather Dance

Spearow family
- Stronger in the early game than Pidgey, with an emphasis on Speed and Attack
- Learns a rare move in Drill Peck

Hoothoot family
- Higher Sp.Atk and Sp.Def than many other birds
- Learns interesting Psychic techniques (Hypnosis, etc.)

Taillow family
- Comparable to Spearow
- Interesting techniques include Endeavor
- Abilities include Guts and Scrappy

Starly family
- Emphasis on Speed
- Evolutions learn some interesting techniques (Close Combat)

Pidove family
- Fairly well-rounded stats, comparable to Pidgey
- First to learn Roost by level

Fletchling family
- Fastest regional bird, otherwise well-rounded stats
- Becomes Fire-type after evolving
- Exclusive hidden ability (Gale Wings)

So we're limiting this to the staple early-route regional bird families then? You forgot Hoothoot/Noctowl and Spearow/Fearow, and Ducklett/Swanna doesn't even belong on the list. (On the other hand, if we're talking about all birds in general, you also forgot Doduo/Dodrio, Natu/Xatu, Wingull/Pelipper, Rufflet/Braviary, Vullaby/Mandibuzz, Sigilyph, and maybe even Hawlucha....)
I wanted to include mostly predatory birds and yes, I know real-world owls hunt prey, but it's hard to imagine Noctowl eating another Pokemon.
Another reason for which I didn't include Noctowl is because it's mostly a special-attacker with most of its offensive moves being of Psychic-type despite being a Normal-type.

The reason for which I didn't include Fearow is because Pidgeot beats it as of Gen VI. in every way and having 2 regional birds of the same typing just seemed out of place as well.
Dodrio doesn't fly.
Xatu just like Noctowl is out of place for being too peaceful/passive.
Swanna is a prettier and stronger Pelipper, no reason to include it.
Braviary is on the list, you might have missed it.
Mandibuzz is a Dark-type, it would have been fair to include it only if I had chosen Xatu or Noctowl.
Sigilyph doesn't evolve and it isn't even a bird (or is it? ._.)
Hawlucha doesn't evolve either, also I would have had to have chosen Xatu/Noctowl and Mandibuzz for Dark-Psychic-Fighting to balance each other out

So that's mostly my reasoning, I'm interested in how the 6 birds that I picked compare to each other. And yes, I know there's Water and Fire but no Grass, but there's no Grass/Flying bird Pokemon.

Sigilyph doesn't evolve and it isn't even a bird (or is it? ._.)

Sigilyph is (technically) a hummingbird; it's based on the hummingbird image at Nazca:

nazca_hummingbird.jpg

I wanted to include mostly predatory birds and yes, I know real-world owls hunt prey, but it's hard to imagine Noctowl eating another Pokemon.
Another reason for which I didn't include Noctowl is because it's mostly a special-attacker with most of its offensive moves being of Psychic-type despite being a Normal-type.

The reason for which I didn't include [various Pokemon] is....

Okay, but if the rationale behind your poll isn't immediately apparent or intuitive then you should take time to explain it in your OP. The rationale doesn't even have to make sense, it just has to be known.

(And Noctowl's part-Normal typing makes it a nice Ghost killer. Say your prayers Morty :) )

Also, try to take a moment to explain each one. Let's see:

Pidgey family
- Learns a rare move in Feather Dance

Spearow family

Hoothoot family

Taillow family
- Comparable to Spearow

Starly family
- Emphasis on Speed

Pidove family

Fletchling family
- Fastest regional bird, otherwise well-rounded stats

Adding on to what you started:

Pidgey family
- Learns a rare move in Feather Dance (So does Pidove's line)
- Takes the longest to reach full evolution
- Only regional bird to learn Hurricane

Spearow family
- Ties with Hoothoot for taking the shortest time to reach full evolution
- Most widespread regional bird line, available for capture in 5/6 regions

Hoothoot family
- Overall, the most defensive of regional birds
- Ties with Spearow for taking the shortest time to reach full evolution

Taillow family
- Comparable to Spearow

Starly family
- Emphasis on Speed
- Only regional bird to have the Intimidate ability, as well highest Attack stat

Pidove family
- Makes use of Super Luck with Air Slash, Sky Attack etc
- Ties with Fletchling for being the most exclusive bird, only available in one region

Fletchling family
- Fastest regional bird, otherwise well-rounded stats (Average, moreso)

- Ties with Pidove for being the most exclusive bird, only available in one region

Last edited:
- Ties with Pidove for being the most exclusive bird, only available in one region [/I]
That might be a little unfair to say because G6 is still the current game gen and who knows what might happend in G7.

Staraptor because close combat and intimidate

@Kaen Hosha; Talonflame and Staraptor both learn two recoil moves - Staraptor learns Double Edge and Brave Bird, Talonflame learns Brave Bird and Flare Blitz. Now if you meant recoil moves learned on their own (Staraptor gets Double Edge as an egg move) then yes Talonflame is the regional bird that learns the most recoil moves.

In terms of the best regional bird for me it's a tie between Staraptor and Talonflame, Staraptor has Close Combat to prevent Rock/Steel type to wall it and his Choice Band Recless boosted Double Edge hits like a truck, while Talonflame has Gale Wings which means +1 priority to flying type moves; a +1 priority Choice Banded Brave Bird is going to hurt and it has Flare Blitz for the Steel types, still it gets competely walled by Rock types.

@Kaen Hosha; Talonflame and Staraptor both learn two recoil moves - Staraptor learns Double Edge and Brave Bird, Talonflame learns Brave Bird and Flare Blitz. Now if you meant recoil moves learned on their own (Staraptor gets Double Edge as an egg move) then yes Talonflame is the regional bird that learns the most recoil moves.

In terms of the best regional bird for me it's a tie between Staraptor and Talonflame, Staraptor has Close Combat to prevent Rock/Steel type to wall it and his Choice Band Recless boosted Double Edge hits like a truck, while Talonflame has Gale Wings which means +1 priority to flying type moves; a +1 priority Choice Banded Brave Bird is going to hurt and it has Flare Blitz for the Steel types, still it gets competely walled by Rock types.

Hmm I guess I was referring to level-up at the time. But it should be all encompassing. I shall edit that.

You say "strongest", which is obviously either Staraptor or Talonflame. That's not even really an opinion. Therefore, I'm going to vote for my favorite, which is...Talonflame, I guess. Not that I really like it. I just prefer its design to the others.

You say "strongest", which is obviously either Staraptor or Talonflame. That's not even really an opinion. Therefore, I'm going to vote for my favorite, which is...Talonflame, I guess. Not that I really like it. I just prefer its design to the others.

What's your reasoning for the two being the strongest?

What's your reasoning for the two being the strongest?
Staraptor hits like a nuclear warhead with Reckless, and can opt to hit like a weaker nuclear warhead with Intimidate, which softens blows when switching in. It also has Close Combat to hit the steel and rock types that resist Brave Bird and Double Edge/Return. The only one which rivals its power is Braviary, who is significantly slower and has the inferior Superpower for fighting coverage.

Talonflame doesn't have as much brute force, but Gale Wings allows it to get priority on flying moves, which includes Brave Bird and Roost. This allows it to move first almost all the time, even against foes with higher speed. It has Flare Blitz to murder anyfin that resists flying...aside from rock-types (mostly), its main issue.

Braviary and Swellow are okay, with Swellow hitting quite hard thanks to Toxic Orb/Flame Orb Guts Facade and Brave Bird, while being very fast. It doesn't hit as hard as Staraptor, however, and lacks any way to damage normal and flying resists. Braviary is the bulkiest of all these birds and hits almost as hard as Reckless Staraptor, but is slower, as I mentioned earlier.

As for Swanna and Pidgeot, lol, how do they even compare? Swanna has water STAB, which is cool, but its power is pretty average. Pidgeot is even worse, since it lacks water STAB.

Talonflame in particular quickly grew a reputation, just look at how often people use it. Staraptor's abilities have been pretty well respected ever since generation IV.

And Talonflame's answer to Rock types? Steel Wing. :3

I say it's a pretty close match between Talonflame and Staraptor. They're my favorite birds too, but simply because Fire type, I vote Talonflame. :p

As many said, Staraptor and Talonflame seem to be the kings of the roost (pun intended). Both have their pros and cons, but are generally the best of the main birds.

Staraptor: Has Intimidate standard, Close Combat to pummel Rock and Steel types, can learn Steel Wing via TM, when it has Reckless, Brave Bird/Double-Edge hits like a warhead, highest attack, good speed, cool design

Talonflame: Flame Body is very useful, Gale Wings grants +1 Priority to Flying moves, fastest of the birds, learns Steel Wing naturally to deal with its major headache: Rock, gains Fire-typing after evolving, Flare Blitz/Brave Bird make it a one Mon wrecking crew, cool design

So it's a tough choice between those two. And I love both either way, as they are awesome birds. But I may have to go with Talonflame just because its typing and wider moves give it a slight edge over Staraptor (but it's still right up there).

I like a lot of the regional birds. I've used Pidgeot twice in FireRed, and Swellow in Emerald. I've used Staraptor and Talonflame, but not in official game plays, but I do love their designs and movesets. Talonflame is awesome for being the first regional bird to change type from it's base stage. Swellow is great with a Guts boosted Facade. Staraptor is awesome with Brave Bird and Close Combat. And Pidgeot I just nice design wise. Braviary's design is okay as well, but I don't care for it too much. I also hate how long it takes for Rufflet to evolve. It's too bad Chatot isn't on this list because it's truly my favorite and it's actually pretty strong. The other birds are just lame imo. The Pidove family especially.

But since I don't competitively battle or anything like that, I'm choosing purely on what I've used in game and knowledge of movesets, which is Staraptor.

Braviary is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time thanks mostly to its design. However, Staraptor and Talonflame are probably the best. Staraptor has Close Combat, making it a serious offensive threat to Ice, Rock, Steel and Dark types. Brave Bird, coupled with its attack stats and STAB, should not be taken lightly. Ever. On the other hand, Talonflame's naturally high speed makes it a speedy threat to things like Scizor, especially with Flare Blitz. Flame Body has helped me many times during my playthrough of Y, and its HA, Gale Wings, can make it an OP supporter AND attacker, harassing opponents with Acrobatics while Tailwinding teammates.

All of these guys get bonus points for having nice-looking designs. I happen to have a great love for birds of prey, and I happen to have a nest of swallows right next to a window where I live. However, every time I try to use a Pidgeot in my main team, it falls behind so much it ends up an HM slave or replaced. Its shallow movepool and okay stats just don't cut it unless it's several levels higher than the opponent. Swellow was an excellent partner in RSE, but doesn't match up to Talonflame or Staraptor. (It still swept cool contests with those slick wings. :sweatlol:)

Staraptor and Talonflame are both effective in battle, but i'll choose the heavy hitter over the high-speed harasser. Why? Staraptor's a more creative name than Talonflame, of course. With the fletching-arrow theme they had going with its pre-ev's they should've kept its name as Fiarrow. D:

I voted for my favorite, Staraptor but then I saw "taking every aspect into account". I change my vote to Talonflame thanks to Gale Wings.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom