• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best evil team boss?

Who's the best evil team boss?

• Giovanni

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Maxie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Cyrus

• N

• Ghetsis

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Colress

• Lysandre

• Guzma

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Piers

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pokémon has had its fair share of evil teams over the years. And naturally, every team has to have a leader (aside from Generation II and IV Teams Rocket). Which evil team leader from the core series games is the best one in your opinion and why?

Do note that this does not include major antagonists who are not evil team bosses, such as Lusamine and Chairman Rose.

Honestly, the one that comes to mind is Guzma, for both being the coolest and having the closest to an actual backstory, even if details are only implied.

I like Lysandre the most for the class commentary and the complexities involved in his character, and for his 100% baller Rainbow Rocket theme.

But I think Guzma is probably the best all-around character among them, with the best arc. So I’ll give my vote to him.

Do note that this does not include major antagonists who are not evil team bosses, such as Lusamine and Chairman Rose.

I would argue that Piers doesn’t really qualify either; he may be the Leader of the Spikemuth Gym but he seems to have very little awareness of Team Yell’s behavior. Unlike every other villainous team leader, he’s also never classified as the “Team Yell Boss,” either, or even just “Team Yell Piers.” His only Trainer classes are “Gym Leader” and “Pokémon Trainer.”

Last edited:
I would argue that Piers doesn’t really qualify either; he may be the Leader of the Spikemuth Gym but he seems to have very little awareness of Team Yell’s behavior. Unlike every other villainous team leader, he’s also never classified as the “Team Yell Boss,” either, or even just “Team Yell Piers.” His only Trainer classes are “Gym Leader” and “Pokémon Trainer.”
He's mentioned to be the team's "captain", so I think he counts.

I adore Guzma and Team Skull as a whole, so he's likely my #1. The anime really wrote him well imo even if he didn't get much screentime - he came off very strong, threatening, and scary overall. Other than Guzma I also lovelove N, and to an extent Ghetsis because he was just so darn evil. Really fitting for a villainous team.

N, hands down! He's my favourite human character in the entire Pokemon series. He's not only the king of Team Plasma, but also your rival and, eventually, your friend. Having a more personal connection with the antagonist made the stakes feel higher.

Cyrus and Piers have the best battle music, though.

Last edited:
Hmm, Guzma is definitely one of the best characters in the series with his strong 'gifted child' complex (and his final cutscene with Team Skull is properly heartwarming), but for villains it's a toss-up between Ghetsis and Giovanni. The former is the best Disney Villain the games have to date with his grandiose plot and theatrical malfeasance, and while the OG is rather thin gruel from a character perspective I do appreciate that GameFreak have committed to the bit with his return in the HGSS event and the fact that he brings Mega Metwo to the table in USUM. For style over substance, I'll go with Giovanni.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom