• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Gag Pokémon?

Honestly, Bewear. I’ll be the first to say its OPness was kinda annoying when it got in the way of the plot (e.g. interrupting TR’s win against Ash, stopping the showdown in Kanto, insta solving the Pheromosa conflict), but the utter ludicrousness of its rescues always made me snort.

I'm not sure if she'd actually count, but after thinking long and hard about this I'm gonna give my vote to Bayleef because she has the distinction that her gag was actually used for some very solid character development for both her and Ash rather than it just remaining a one-note joke, and I'm pretty sure that if other gag Pokemon received similar treatment they'd probably be a lot less contentious.

But if we're talking about pure gag Pokemon, I think most of Team Rocket's Pokemon could qualify, since their gags tend to be a lot funnier and more well-handled than the heroes' Pokemon.

Wobbuffett would probably be the best. It's at least the most endearing gag Pokemon given that they brought it back after BW and it did feel like Team Rocket lost something important when Wobbuffett was gone for almost an entire series.

Bewear's gag was also quite funny. It was just so ridiculous how overpowered it was and how it would always find a different way to carry Team Rocket back home, even when they were in Kanto.

I also like Snubbull, but mostly because of how it was handled rather than the gag itself. Its crush on Meowth wasn't funny, but I liked how they didn't over use the gag, it only lasted through around the middle of Johto and they gave it a pretty satisfying closure with its evolution and being able to reconnect with its trainer. Compared to how they tend to hammer running gags into the ground, Snubbull felt pretty refreshing.

I would agree with Wobbufett. After being on the show since Johto, only missing out in Best Wishes, he had a lot of time for us viewers to eventually get sick of him. ii kanji put it perfectly; the anime quite simply wasn’t the same without Wobbufett, and I personally never get tired of seeing that goofy blue blob. In fact, I look forward to seeing Wobbufett. Wobbufett has always been my favorite character in Team Rocket.

True be told, I honestly forgot about Croagunk, which is kind of weird considering I'm in the middle of rewatching DP right now. Croagunk was really the best version of Brock's love daze gag. Misty grabbing his ears was funny, but quickly felt overdone. Max doing it just made him more annoying and it felt a cheap continuation of that gag, especially when he really only started doing it after Misty showed up in AG, but Croagunk giving Brock a Poison Jab and dragging Brock away made the gag actually funny for the first time in ages for me.

True be told, I honestly forgot about Croagunk, which is kind of weird considering I'm in the middle of rewatching DP right now. Croagunk was really the best version of Brock's love daze gag. Misty grabbing his ears was funny, but quickly felt overdone. Max doing it just made him more annoying and it felt a cheap continuation of that gag, especially when he really only started doing it after Misty showed up in AG, but Croagunk giving Brock a Poison Jab and dragging Brock away made the gag actually funny for the first time in ages for me.
Yeah, Croagunk Is The Best. Max Sucks

Right now? It's Grookey at the moment

I'll miss him when/if he evolves because he's a whole lot of Fun right now!

I also love Piplup. He still got development even on top of being a gag Mon

Bewear, Mimikyu and Mareanie were awesome too

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom